Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Champuloc

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me some info about Champuloc - what sort of level skiing, advanced or beginner, and any good places to stay? Looking to go out in a few weeks with the family but toss up between there or Cortina
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I recall Champoluc itself is mostly intermediate skiing, as is Gressoney. Alagna is apparently an off-piste Mecca, but as I was having enough trouble coping with the red runs I can't provide any first-hand reports.

We stayed here: http://www.hotelleriedemascognaz.com/, which was spectacular but definitely not cheap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CorksK,

It's been 17 years since we skied in champoluc, so I don't doubt it has changed somewhat. It will be interesting to see the responses. I remember a rather narrow section between rocks when travelling from above champoluc to access towards gressoney. Most of the lifts were very modern (mafia money apparently), but there was a particularly quirky one that was V shaped that you accessed at the bottom of the V to go in either direction. The skiing was on long lovely pistes and it was very beautiful, quiet and charming. The valley was quite steep sided and there was only one run down at the end of the day which made things interesting. I remember getting a bus to somewhere about 10 mins away, to a small ski area which was fun but not thrilling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NE1: the two-way lift was still there when I skied in Champoluc ... (counts on fingers)... seven years ago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two way lift there when we visited last March. We stayed in the Breithorn which was very comfortable - luckily we were just there for five nights as I couldn't have taken any more of the huge dinners!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When we were looking at this resort recently we spoke to these guys and they were really helpful and knowledgeable. Very Happy http://www.ski-2.com
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Gressoney last year, the whole area is easy enough, intermediate paradise. Alagna really has just one long sweeping run down from 2971 metres to 1212 metres. Gressoney steeper narrower valley, but Champoluc is a more open valley with a few more longer pistes.

Great chances to dabble in off piste within the area, great family resort.

Look up some of the videos on youtube to get some idea of the pistes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
went there a few years a go, stayed in a hotel right next to the piste. the piste layout is basically like a one way system, 2 lifts to the top of champoluc, one run back, or drop down the other side for gressoney, its impossible to get lost. i went with a beginner which was a mistake, its rubbish for beginners, as theres no runs to progress on to. the scenery is exellent.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CorksK, Was there 10 days ago. Great snow, no queues, bargain prices. You lucky fella!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Visited last year with family, stayed at Relais des Glaciers hotel - great with kids as it has an outside hot pool .
They take you to lift every morning and you can leave skis at rental place there.
Family rooms very good with kids on Mezzanine level.
Skiing not perfect for beginners, but fantastic for all else. Food was great too.
We flew into Turin and got a private transfer.
Absolutely loved the place and would go back.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
compostcorner, we've been many times with beginners of many levels of aspiration and latent ability with no problems.

CorksK, probably more useful info on the Monterosa thread. Hotel or s/c?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the advice - really helpful and now REALLY excited! skimastaaah, where did you stay?? Do you have to get a bus to the slopes (happy to do so if you do!) or are there places for ski in ski out? lizski, Did you get transfer with any company specifically - will probably look to do the same thing. compostcorner, What was your hotel, sounds good especially as its so close to the piste.
Thanks all!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CorksK, will you be there for half term ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think 14th to 17th March
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed in Hotel Champoluc which I think is the only ski in/out one in Champoluc. It's right next to the main gondola up the mountain and ideal location. Food was good and the owners were really friendly. Town was very quiet but we were lucky with a great group (went with Crystal) so après was just in the hotel bar. I liked the ski area, never any queue (we went 1st week Feb 2012) and the runs are interesting. Lots of variety and the links to Gressoney were working well. One difficult run to access that side of the mountain mentioned above, but it's only about a 100 yard steep stretch that flattens out, a steep blue/mild red really for that one bit (called the goat) but doable for most people, and you can take the funicular from the other end of town and avoid it anyway. Worth the 10mins bus ride to ski Antagnod, we went as a group of 15 and on a bright sunny afternoon we were making fresh tracks on the runs, no-one ever ski's it. Lots of accessible off-piste as well if that's your thing, but as said before nursery slopes/beginners area almost non-existent.
snow report
CorksK, I also stayed at the Hostellerie de Mascognaz like paulcl, but this is a snow-cat/mobile ride from the centre of Champoluc. Definitely only if you want quiet, upmarket getaway. Otherwise check out your possible hotels on Booking.com, as most are within sensible walking distance of the main Champoluc uplift that takes you to Crest. I was very impressed with the piste preparation and varied on-mountain bars and small food-eries. Value for money mountain food.

Go enjoy, I certainly did.
snow report
There is a funicular now! Wow

Antagnod, that's the place we got the bus to. Knew it began with an A
latest report
CorksK, try ski2.com website. they have a solid on-mountain presence in Champoluc. Ski-inSki-out hotels tend to be "on-mountain" like Frantze Rascard, Cret Forne, and a couple of others located at the top of the Crest lift.
latest report
it was the hotel champoluc and we went with crystal
snow conditions
NE1, it's not a very big funicular...better than the old dual chair, though little would be worse...
ski holidays
Ok, so this is Gressoney not Champoluc, but wow.

http://youtube.com/v/MMx1elfe-jk
latest report
bruisedskier, very nice! I'm there next week with my 2 boys and that's totally wet my appetite!
snow report
We used www.findtransfers.com to make a request and took the quote of Europe Taxi di Mario Lonardo. It will depend on how many in group etc.
They were on time and took cash on transfer.
snow report
Oh how I wish I had learnt to ski aged 4. I will never be that good. Looking at that film makes me want to return to champoluc/ gressoney.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy