Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alagna off piste ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just on the verge of booking a guided week in Alagna, anyone been, or have experiences to share ?

Certainly reads well on the website, but then they all do !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
awesome terrain; if they are having a reasonable snow year (don't know either way myself) you'll have a lot of fun
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't comment personally (pre-convert days!), but met a Scandinavian guy who'd been there for SIX WEEKS just waiting for the powder!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of interesting routes available, some of which end with what our guide called "summer roads" but which were actually steep footpaths through the woods. I'd go again - and heli-ski if possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alagna is part of Monte Rosa ski area. When we went we stayed in Gressoney - but Alagna is also good. It has great off piste - freeride, touring and heli. It is good to get a guide because a lot of it is far from the piste.

If you can afford it, do a heli drop - the experience is amagzing! You can do a one day trip where they drop you off between Castor and Pollux (i think) and you then ski down the Swarztor to Zermatt (great run!) and you then take the lift back to the top of the klein mattahorn and ski down to Champuloc and then chain back the lifts in monta rosa home.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scarbski, do you mean "off piste" or "powder"

Lots of terrain, more of it lift/partially-lift accessible with new Punta Indren lift. But I think quite a lot of the terrain will require skinning or boot packing?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alagna is one of the beat places in the Alps for going offpiste when they have a decent snow year. Last time they had was in 2009 but the good news is that it is a good snow year this year.

So many routes to do and awesome terrain so a guide should have few problems finding new interesting lines every day. Some of the routes are really extreme. There is a guidebook you can buy called polvare rosa or something and is well worth a buy.

Have an awesome week, sure you will enjoy it!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a fabulous place for off piste. I skied there a few years ago before they took down the ancient cable car, the run down from there is probably in my top 10 of favourite places to ski; really must go back.

The cable cars access a lot of terrain; route finding is not always simple and some of it is pretty steep - it's an ideal place to go with a guided group.

under a new name, if you are prepared to hike then yes, you can access a lot more terrain, but there's a lot you can get to without too much effort.

Woosh, yes, was also going to mention that book, probably available in the local shops. For maps I'd try and get hold of the Swiss ones that cover it, the local IGM ones are not all that reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But my question remains, "powder" or "off-piste"...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, not with you? If someone books a trip to ski off piste then I guess they go off piste? If it snows then you get powder, if not then you ski what you find. Whether or not you ski powder is dependent on the weather, how far you are prepared to hike and a lot of luck Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah, yes, but's not how it's portrayed by the marketing genii, and I have hear many comments about the off piste being "rubbish" in many contexts.

Those that thought it rubbish assumed it was all going to be soft and fluffy, cos that's all the piccies show.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 28-01-14 19:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scarbski, If you go and you want someone to make up numbers - I'll come. I've been to Alagna several times and love the place.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You should definitely book. Great terrain with a guide and they have loads of snow. Beautiful. Very atmospheric. Absolutely nothing not to like!

Also some of the best food in the Alps I reckon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Also some of the best food in the Alps I reckon.

And possibly the cheapest too Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Links to buy the guide book:

http://www.monterosa.com/topmenu/trekking-toptours/buy-polvere-rosa-3.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polvere-Gressoney-Alagna-itinerari-italiana/dp/8895224086?tag=amz07b-21

Off-piste map:

http://www.monterosa.com/Portals/0/images/Pistmaps/Monterosa-off-piste-Map-Big.jpg
snow report
Great, Thanks for the replies. (sorry been busy and not checked in)

It sounds like a fantastic place BUT the snow is not great there at the moment compared to France so I'm still hesitating.
under a new name, And as you say all the promotional shots show powder but I'm a realistic fella, but always an optimist Smile
BertieG, Thanks for the offer,, i'll keep in touch.

One concern I have is how much hiking will be needed. I am reasonably fit and have had some lengthy treks but i use downhill bindings and have not used skins . (can you use skins without touring setup ? Told prob' not needed though. )

Getting excited now .. hope the forecast improves. Very Happy

:
latest report
scarbski, ok, so probably " off piste " then snowHead

When did the snow in "France" get better than Monterosa? Last I hear it was the other way round? (We haven't been up either in a couple of weeks)...
snow conditions
scarbski wrote:
Great, Thanks for the replies. (sorry been busy and not checked in)

It sounds like a fantastic place BUT the snow is not great there at the moment compared to France so I'm still hesitating.
under a new name, And as you say all the promotional shots show powder but I'm a realistic fella, but always an optimist Smile
BertieG, Thanks for the offer,, i'll keep in touch.

One concern I have is how much hiking will be needed. I am reasonably fit and have had some lengthy treks but i use downhill bindings and have not used skins . (can you use skins without touring setup ? Told prob' not needed though. )

Getting excited now .. hope the forecast improves. Very Happy

:

Re: Snow - Really? I thought that area was doing pretty well this year. The Dolomites have really come off best but snow in Alagna should be OK.

There's not a lot wrong with this forecast: http://www.bergfex.com/alagna-valsesia/wetter/berg/ (unless you were planning on getting a sun tan, in which case you are out of luck Happy )

Re: Skins on normal skis...

Short answer, no.
Long answer, sort of, if you buy or hire "trekker" bindings that clip in to your regular bindings and allow you to release the heel. Never used these, people who have say not to bother, better to hire skis with touring bindings if it turns out you need them. Touring is no harder than hiking (except you'll likely be at altitude and the gear weighs a bit more), if your guide suggests it and you can hire the gear I would recommend giving it a go, with a bit of expert tuition it's very easy to pick up. However, if you are going in the near future the weather forecast would seem to suggest you won't need to hike to find fresh snow.
ski holidays
Things have certainly improved since the Scgb forecast yesterday. That seemed to think that there was no new snow coming and as the area had gone 2 weeks with no fresh snow it wasn't looking great.
France was expecting 50cms this week !
So it seems that snow is coming and a lot ! Very Happy could be to much now tho' !

Do you get the feeling that I'm never satisfied Wink

Will have to double check if skins will feature , but it would be sensible to hire touring skis/skins for a day to try it out.
ski holidays
scarbski, THe big advantage of (say) Alagna over (say) Chamonix is that it will be practically empty other that at the weekend (and even then not overloaded) so if snow conditions allow and are "atttractive" then you have much more chance of a guide finding you some lovely skiing there than in Cham (without skinning anywhere).
latest report
under a new name, ain't that the truth! The Monterosa area is blissfully quiet compared to Cham, St Anton and the like.
ski holidays
All booked up, leave on Saturday. There was just one space left, sharing a room so worked out well.
No requirement for touring bindings/ skins so no problems there either.

Looks like a metre of new coming this week as well .

Its a freshtracks trip, see how things go ,

Thanks for all the feedback Very Happy

Dave
snow report
scarbski, nice. Ski safe. Enjoy.
ski holidays
Lots of snow when we were there a few days go - thigh deep in Alagna, less so in Gressoney (only knee deep) where I took this clip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftq4lycoe8xl2g7/Alagna%202014.mp4
ski holidays
skivolo, nice one.

Had a metre of fresh in 36hrs when I was in Champoluc/Gressonay/Alagne over Christmas.
snow report
Back in one piece, had a great week !
lot of snow, infact thursday was the only day it didn't snow. Well over a metre of fresh, Avi risk at 5 and police checking skiers had avi safety gear etc.

Saw and heard avalanches but thankfully no reports of any casualities !

Local guide 'Boris' kept us on best/safest slopes.. Is that Boris in your clip skivolo, ?
snow report
If Avalanche risk was a 5, the resort would have been on shut down.
snow report
SkiingQuinHat, not necessarily.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingQuinHat wrote:
If Avalanche risk was a 5, the resort would have been on shut down.

I thought the same but it was, and lifts opened !

snow report
Quote:

Is that Boris in your clip skivolo, ?

Yes. We were playing catch Boris all week! More of him here in the super deep and fluffy stuff: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izemefpspyyzmhi/Alagna%20deep.mp4
latest report
Hi - i will be in Alagna, skiing for 3 days, Friday 6 - Sunday 8 Feb 2015. If you are there at that time, i'd be keen on splitting the cost of a guide? Let me know - robbie.taylor@fil.com
cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy