Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Places to stay near Scottish ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some pointers about the best place to stay for Cairngorm or Glenshee please. And then an idea of driving times to the lifts if the weather is good enough for them to open on a particular day. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cairngorm. Stay in Aviemore 10 mins to slopes.

Don't stay in glenshee.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't think there is any accommodation for Ghenshee. However from the south the nearest place I stayed in Spittal of Ghenshee which is 6 miles away. It has a very nice hotel and a hostel combined. Further along is of course Blairgowrie which 25 miles away and has a large collection of B&B. Braemar is 9 miles north of Ghenshee and has a small number of B&B but I have not stayed there before. That may be a good place if you want to ski Lecht and Ghenshee in one trip as Lecht is about 25 miles north of Braemar.

I concur with glasgowcyclops that Aviemore is a good place to stay when skiing Cairngorm but there are nearer B&B in between too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mmmm..

http://www.hiltonaviemore.com/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis, sounds like you have stayed there?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No, the Sugar Bowl car park is more my style Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisb, not sure why people are advising against staying near Glenshee. Braemar is 15 minutes away, and has plenty of accommodation. Slightly further way than the Spittal, but a hive of activity by comparison, and the road usually opens earlier on that side if the snow gates close.

Yes, also OK for the Lecht.

For Cairngorm, definitely Aviemore.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've stayed at Newtonmore before which is about 20 minutes south of Aviemore. It also opens the possibility of skiing Nevis range as well. It's quite a good base.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I meant spital of glenshee.

The hotel must have had a revamp recently since it got terrible reviews in the past.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
Mmmm..

http://www.hiltonaviemore.com/

I'm just back from a 2 night stay. There were 3 of us in a Family Suite - main bedroom with a double bed and a small annex room with bunk beds. The total was £380 for 2 nights Dinner, Bed and Breakfast.

This was our second stay at the Hilton Coylumbridge (the previous was in September) and we would go back. The only negative is that if you are not travelling with kids you may find the number of children around the place annoying. The main lobby bar can be a bit of a crèche and it is difficult to get a seat. If that is the case then head over to the Woodshed Bar. It is still part of the hotel but much calmer. We enjoyed our pre-dinner drinks there rather than the hotel.

There are two restaurants that you can choose from. The larger serves a 3 course menu that is part of the dinner package if you have booked it. There are a few supplements if you choose things like steak. The standard of food is good for a large hotel The Bistro offers a different menu and is slightly more expensive. If you are on a DBB rate then you get about £18 allowance.

The pool is quite good and I welcomed it and the sauna after our days skiing on Saturday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tips. Will have a look at a couple of options, but anyone with any other tips please keep posting
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For Glenshee we tend to stay in Perth and drive up each day. Okay, it's the best part of a hour away, but there is lots of choice at reasonable prices, and when you've driven up from the English midlands an hour is almost next door.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nobody has mentioned the Dalmunzie Castle Hotel, up a valley from the Spittal of Glenshee. I've enjoyed staying there (and Queen Victoria too, though not at the same time). Probably about 15 mins drive to the lifts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think one of the best places to stay is the Rowan Tree Country Hotel just 3 miles south of Aviemore. Best food for miles. Boat Hotel in Boat of Garten - about 10 miles form Aviemore but on the way to the Lecht - is OK too. I have no connection with either !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy