Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance & ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had my current boots for about the last 8 weeks skiing & my ski's for the last 3. It's occurred to me on numerous occasions that I don't seem to have progressed much lately |& that I don't seem too well balanced Puzzled
Begun to wonder if perhaps I would benefit from having my balance looked at & perhaps have some boots properly fitted, the ones I have are reasonably comfortable but were never properly fitted or set up Sad
Been looking at various videos & articles on balanced skiing today & have now begun to wonder if my bindings are correctly located on my skis ???
My daughter is a really good skier (unlike me!), her ski's are 2cm longer than mine but I have just measured & her bindings are some 6cm in front of my centers, does that sound right? Confused
Or am I confusing myself ?????????????????
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a gear expert so I can't say if your bindings are mounted rightly or wrongly. But I can tell you it depends on the skis.

I have two pairs. One pair is a women specific skis and the mounting points are a little more forward than the other unisex ones.

Though when the unisex ski first came in (naked, without binding), I saw there're TWO marking on the skis for mounting points. Sure enough, when I took it to the shop for moumting, they asked me which one I prefer! Puzzled Shocked It turned out twin tips can have bindings mounted either "center" or "traditional". I had it mounted 'traditional' since I'm not planning on skiing backward very often...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
provenjohn, are you a bloke? Makes a difference, apparently.

There are lots of good drills to help balance - especially the large variety of one-legged exercises.

Quote:

I don't seem to have progressed much lately

have you had some decent lessons? I find I don't progress without. Indeed, I regress! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
provenjohn, are you a bloke? Makes a difference, apparently.

There are lots of good drills to help balance - especially the large variety of one-legged exercises.

Quote:

I don't seem to have progressed much lately

have you had some decent lessons? I find I don't progress without. Indeed, I regress! Embarassed

Just checked! Yep I'm a bloke Toofy Grin
No not had any recent lessons, thought i had got as far as I was likely to get to be honest.
Perhaps I have confused things by saying balance? It's more that I seem to have to put a lot of effort into turning & seem to be always having to push weight forward.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
provenjohn, If you feel you are not progressing then it might be time for a lesson. Instructor will access both your stance and balance and look at your gear. Where the bindings mounted depends on a particular ski as all skis would have a mounting point recommended by a manufacturer for a ski's intended use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Click your boot in the ski and check that the centre mark on the side of your boot is above the mark on the ski/bindings as a quick first check

Don't judge across skis as the different cambers and rockers can mean the effective centres centres vary a lot

Boots could also have packed down and if a comfit fit from slush and rubble will now be sloping around giving no control

Time for a proper boot fit?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy