Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet with goggles or shades ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads snowHead

having recently purchased a Protec Ace Freecarve Helmet for the coming season, i'm wondering whether shades are a complete no no with a helmet. I'm not a big goggle wearer and usually wear shades unless its actually snowing. Are shades a complete no no with a helmet?? Some ski magazines i've read seem to think so.

Thanks

BrightonSki
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, although when I see people wearing helmets and glasses it does look a little bit odd to me. I have no idea whether there are any safety considerations, but I would have thought that sliding the arms of your glasses inside your helmet wouldn't be too comfortable?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The part of the helmet which covers the ears is detachable soft padding so fortunately wearing glasses doesn't cause discomfort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear a helmet, and use either, depending on conditions.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

I would have thought that sliding the arms of your glasses inside your helmet wouldn't be too comfortable?

I made a little space in my helmet padding to accomodate the straight arms on my shades.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have read some magazines suggesting that black is the new black where clearly bright yellow is the new black where ski pants are concerned and bright yellow is the new uber-cool.

Does that help at all?

I've also read some magazine where the writers just didn't know a damn thing. If you like shades with your lid, good for you.

More importantly from a fashion point of view, do your ski pants harmonise with your ski boots? And, no, black doesn't. In either direction. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definatley goggles with mine , shades just didn't look right Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no technical reason why you shouldn't wear glasses with a helmet - it just looks silly (IMHO)
look in the mirror and make your own decision about whether you a) agree and b) care!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster, I disagree, I think that I look cool with either wink
BrightonSki, my helmet does not even have the soft ear pieces and my sunglasses are still comfortable. If you haven't bought the glasses yet, pick some with softer arms.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BrightonSki, on the instructions for my helmet, the manufacturer advises that the although the ear peices are removable, they should not be removed 'in use' as it will reduce the effectiveness of the helmet... Actually it states it should not be worn without them...

Clearly just the manufacturer trying to cover their @rses and prevent nonsense claims against them - but just thought I'd let you know, then its up to you if you take any notice or not !

Regarding whether to wear sunnies or goggles - I have generally found that the helmet disrupts air flow around my glasses which results in my eyes streaming ! So i tend to wear goggles...

Nick L, to maximise the 'coolness' try wearing goggles on your helmet as well as your sunnies ( goggles obviously lifted up out of the way and resting on the forehead part of the helmet ) - this way, the sunnies say "Hey I'm cool and wear expensive shades" whilst the goggles say "I'm ready to rip if i need too"... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent Monday night trying to see if I looked any better wearing my ski helmet first with goggles then with sports glasses. As I was in the bedroom in my jim-jams, this caused my OH to have a massive fit of the giggles. Today she presented me with a roll of black insulating tape. "What's this for" I asked? The answer - "If you're going to dress like the Crazy Frog, you might as well have the rest of the outfit".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clive, my first thought was that the tape might be to put over the eyes for when you appear in Readers Husbands Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clive, and mistermouse, Very Happy Smile Very Happy Smile Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BrightonSki wrote:
Hi fellow Snowheads snowHead

having recently purchased a Protec Ace Freecarve Helmet for the coming season, i'm wondering whether shades are a complete no no with a helmet. I'm not a big goggle wearer and usually wear shades unless its actually snowing. Are shades a complete no no with a helmet??

If you're keen to project an image as a serious skier then absolutely yes. If you don't care or are happy with ice cream headaches then feel free to wear sunnies.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And a funny sun burnt line across your forehead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely helmets with shades

if you want to look like Officer Poncherello.
snow conditions
When I finally get to the slopes this winter, I will make sure that I take 2 pictures of me, 1 with goggles, the other with shades. Perhaps we can have a poll. No abuse please Laughing
latest report
I dislike goggles, so it's a nice pair of Oakeys with my helmet.
ski holidays
Goggles every time. If the helmet is a really good fit, then shades get pushed into the side of your head and don't stay in exactly the position you want them.
snow conditions
BrightonSki, Too much hassle to change - so googles all the time. snowHead Then have a 'Should have gone to Specsavers' moment when putting (very) old shades on at lunchtime. Embarassed
snow conditions
snowbunny, but I thought you enjoyed abuse Puzzled
Quote:

Perhaps we can have a poll

As long as it's for your poll-dancing wink
latest report
mistermouse,
Quote:

As long as it's for your poll-dancing

In ski boots, you have got to be kidding Shocked Laughing

Quote:

snowbunny, but I thought you enjoyed abuse

A common misconception around these parts Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
snowbunny, Well , you know what rumours are like, they need constant enhancement to keep them going Twisted Evil
snow report
mistermouse, You've got it all wrong... she prefers dishing it out to her cringing slave Zorro wink
snow conditions
Scarpa, It's all total nonsense and you know it Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, Laughing Laughing what!!! You are having a laugh I hope.

snowbunny, you should take 3 photos not 2. The third one should be with a brown paper bag over your head.
latest report
Ray Zorro, I was soooo sure that sb was the whiplash type, being all innocent I have to use my imagination regarding picturing the sordid goings on. wink
snow conditions
Scarpa, I think that you're right about sb, but I am just a mystified observer like you.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Scarpa, Maybe we can plug your collective imaginations into the National Grid to save money on the fuel bills this winter Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, we'd best hide in case she comes looking for us, keep an ear open for the sound of 6" heels and dragging chains.
snow report
snowbunny, Oi - no shattering our illusions!!! They're the only thing that keeps us going until the first ski trip Laughing
snow report
Scarpa, Too late
snow conditions
*bows head* Sorry harsh mistress Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy