Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to try skiing on the dry slope?

Poster: A snowHead
In October I had surgery for a meniscus tear (which was causing a locked knee) after the surgery I was told he had to take out two-thirds of my cartilage and my previously reconstructed ACL is half gone. He also said I should never play hockey or ski again. Thankfully my Physio disagreed had my rehab is going well. She recommended a hinged brace which I now have. My gym work is going nicely , and my thoughts are turning to giving skiing a go on the dry slope (our ski holiday is mid April). My question is any advice on what mile stones. I should be reaching before I go on the dry slope? I should have asked my Physio when I saw her for the last time, but I it didn't occur to me.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get an appointment and ask the physio now!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt, I have been effectively discharged from Physio though she did say I could call her up if I was having problems. I will phone her if necessary but was hoping somebody had been giving a list of things to be comfortable doing. She said she was confident I would good to ski on our holiday in April and I guess I could just wait till we get out there then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good quality knee brace should stop any further damage to the ACL (after all 1/2 still remains) and the missing meniscus will tell you soon enough if the are problems. My views are - why not give it a try. If it hurts too much then stop.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, Worth an ask to the physio first but if I returned to skiing from an ACL reconstruction on the plastic before heading to the hills. That said, if it were me I would start very slowly, perhaps working up from a 2nd time lesson keep it all under control.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickyJ, Do you feel stable walking up (and more importantly down) uneven ground? Given that you already know how to ski, I wouldn't have thought that dry slope skiing would be a big priority for you, in terms of rehab and strengthening.

Are you an experienced dry slope skier? If not I'd give it a miss - I've not skied for years on a dry slope and I think there'd be lots of things I'd do before that, in terms of rehab.

Maybe one of those balance boards would be better?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. We normally go on the dry slope a couple of times a year, more in the past. I guess it have this niggling fear that I will have problems when I try to ski and am really keen to go to reassure myself that it will be alright.

I must fetch the wobble board out the cupboard and.spend some time on it, thanks for the prompt Happy

On walking feeling good now, though less so down hill (I still need to concentrate on how I walking on a downhill slope). Cross trainer (both forward and backwards) & bike both feel really good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, but the cross trainer is so smooth, predictable, low impact. The wobble board should be good but also downhill on uneven ground (with walking poles, maybe, especially to start with?).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, very true. Though saying that so is the dry ski slope (smooth & predictable).

I know now is too soon, at a minimum I know I need to be comfortably doing much higher weights on the leg press, but it struck me I am not sure what else I need to be doing comfortably / confidently to know when the time is right.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

so is the dry ski slope (smooth & predictable)

but you'd have to be especially clumsy to fall off a cross-trainer. wink The thing which put my dodgy left knee under greatest strain, when I fell a good few times in La Grave on Wednesday, was getting up again. You could strap some skis on and try it, on your sitting room floor...... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ, I really wouldn't bother with the dry slope. if you can afford it, get a couple of private lessons in resort to build your confidence. a dry slope is too short and too predictable to be of any use IMHO. What weight are you doing on the leg press? and yes, keep the wobble board out all the time...step on it after every exercise - proprioception, as you know for walking downhill - mine is shot after a week's skiing, but I just get back onto it when I get back. I don't care if I can't walk at the end of the week, as long as i have skied and have an action plan to get straight back into rehab on return.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only did 30kg yesterday (single leg 3 set of 12 straight and 3 sets of 12 at 45degrees), however as that was easy this time I'll be adding another 10kg next time. As I said nowhere near yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ, I'd give it a go --- but (very) slowly and carefully... May be even book a private lesson to guarantee that you are not disturbed. Go right back to basics (straight running, plough gliding, etc etc ), don't just go straight to the top and try to work it out on the way down....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ, is that pressing the single leg or pressing with both then holding with yhr single leg? If the former I am impressed...I cant single press anything at sll...if the latter I'm up to 40kg and can ski fine on blues and reds.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No pressing single leg. I would want to be doing my whole weight as a min but really a bit still on top.
snow report
NickyJ, sorry, are you saying you are pressing single leg or both legs? If you are pressing single leg and building up the kg then I can't imagine you'd have much trouble skiing. I'd like to get to pressing my body weight with 2 legs and being able to hold it. My ski physio says 3x body weight Shocked
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, NickyJ, I have no idea what weight I could leg press, single or double - must have a go when I get home.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
NickyJ, sorry, are you saying you are pressing single leg or both legs? If you are pressing single leg and building up the kg then I can't imagine you'd have much trouble skiing. I'd like to get to pressing my body weight with 2 legs and being able to hold it. My ski physio says 3x body weight Shocked

I hope that's with both legs otherwise Shocked

That fits with what my gut instinct says my body weight plus some with one leg.

Definitely pressing with single legs. Do it that way so I can concentrate on doing it right but also to make sure I don't dominate with my good leg.
latest report
NickyJ, pressing with a single leg...wow! I have no idea why I can't press at all single leg.

Yes 3 x body weight is with 2 legs but then holding with just the one. My routine is to press with both legs then hold for 6 seconds on alternate legs x 10 reps x 4 sets. Got up to 45kg tonight.
latest report
Hi NickyJ and all - NickyJ good to hear you are not taking no for an answer with the 'no skiing and hockey'! Although I admit that nothing will ever compare to the real stuff, I work for an indoor slope and the great thing is that you don't spend loads of money heading out to resort, buying the ski pass etc just to find that your knee isnt up to it yet - at any of these slopes you can always stop if you feel a niggle and even as a good skier, you might enjoy the reassurance of an instructor being with you to build the trust in your leg again. Good luck with it and have a great time!
snow report
CorksK, I agree with trying in the UK first, but I'd do it on snow. I just have a "thing" about dry slopes. I went to Hemel on an organisd "return to ski after injury" day; it was invaluable.
snow conditions
The dry slope I would be going on is the snowtrax one which is the nicest dry slope I have ever used (though also the worst lift I have ever used).
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I think i'd be completely the same but good that NickyJ, knows the slope already so hopefully will be comfortable on it. I'd definitely give it a go, it will just mean that when you get on snow for the first time you wont be over thinking it and you'll have a bit more confidence to trust yourself. Otherwise you might find yourself tightening up and not relaxing into the proper position. Nothing to loose by having one hour. good luck!
snow conditions
Yay just finished at the gym, was able to increase the bike resistance a couple of levels, one level up on cross trainer, and 40kg on each leg the full 6 lots of 12 (3 in each orientation) definitely felt like it was hard work though so real improvements.
snow report
NickyJ, fab!
snow report
CorksK wrote:
Hi NickyJ and all - NickyJ good to hear you are not taking no for an answer with the 'no skiing and hockey'! Although I admit that nothing will ever compare to the real stuff, I work for an indoor slope and the great thing is that you don't spend loads of money heading out to resort, buying the ski pass etc just to find that your knee isnt up to it yet - at any of these slopes you can always stop if you feel a niggle and even as a good skier, you might enjoy the reassurance of an instructor being with you to build the trust in your leg again. Good luck with it and have a great time!

Oh and the ski holiday is already booked and paid for, we are all going out as a family, and will do no matter what. Though I do still have a slight concern as to whether the hinged brace will be fine or if I should get a ski mojo - my Physio has said I don't need anything that strong, and the hinged brace is fine, I want to feel how it feels to ski to make the final call in time to sort one out before we fly out.
snow conditions
NickyJ, that's a good idea. I had my knee taped when I skilled at Hemel; first time I tried the brace was in Val d'Isere - a £500 leap of faith! It is brill though.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, that is good to hear.

Did you have the tape due to pain from squatting? I was getting that during rehab after my meniscus surgery on my other knee previously, I have managed to squat pretty much pain free this time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ, the taping was to support the MCL as an interim measure before getting the brace. It did the job for the few runs I did at hemel. I'm getting it taped in a couple of weeks as I'm going salsa dancing and don't want to take any risks the week before my canada trip. I can squat mainly pain free but as I've moved onto sumo squats with weights ..12kg..it can twinge a bit at first when just back from skiing.
ski holidays
I can now do 60Kg on the leg press on leg singuarly. My plan is to have that up to 70Kg by 2 weeks today (which is just over my weight), where I have booked a days leave and me and hubby are going to visit the Snowtrax ski slope and I will try out the brace to see how it feels. If I don't feel confident then, that gives me time to visit Edge and Wax and get a ski mojo fitted before we go on holiday.
ski holidays
NickyJ, well done on your leg pressing. I'm up to 60kg on 2 legs and just cleared to drop the weight back down to start single leg presses. If my season is anything to go by you will be fine!
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
NickyJ, well done on your leg pressing. I'm up to 60kg on 2 legs and just cleared to drop the weight back down to start single leg presses. If my season is anything to go by you will be fine!

Thanks - I am very keen to make sure I don't try before getting to my full weight with 1 leg before trying to ski, as I only have half the ACL left, so need to be sure my muscles are able to compensate. Don't want to end up back on crutches again.
ski holidays
NickyJ,

Hi holidayloverxx, has good insight in what's required from a strength point of view. If you want a more precise assessment she, I, can point you in right direction for some one to assess you.

Having seen your postings over the last months, I think that her suggestion of a lesson on arrival , or even before, would be a great idea.

The area , of recovery, that is neglected the most is the psychological recovery. Perhaps try a session in UK with instruction one on one. It may make a huge difference.

Jonathan Bell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy