Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Angles/Mounting Positions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am new to Snowheads and this is my first post but I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on different mounting positions for the GoPro (Skiing not Boarding).

I used my GoPro for the first time in December and came up with a few different angles- using the chest mount to strap the GoPro around my boot was probably my favourite. I wondered if people had been successful at mounting the GoPro on the end of the ski, Ive heard that it can shake itself off easily?

Ive got a video on YouTube if anyone is interested in the angles that I did capture:
http://youtube.com/v/xXSVldHtflQ

So whats your favourite mounting position and does anyone have something original that they are willing to share.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a great video. What editing software were you using? Also for the slow mo, did you film in 1020 and then slow down when editing or change the speed when filming. I am new to go pro and just got a pole and chest mount. Will try the boot idea to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joe1794, welcome to snowheads! Great vid Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spy a new move to practice on the linking runs there Smile Great shots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've mentioned before that there are lots of options with the mounting positions, helmet head, hand, chest, leg, boot, ski, pole, on the snow and some other options like the helmet spinner. Added to that the varying capture options, still timelapse, slow mo etc. The key to all of this is what you are trying to achieve with the end edit. Unless you are going to plan up front the best bet is get lots of varying footage so you can pick and choose elements into the edit.

But remember you in the mountains to ski/board and have a great time, don't get too wrapped up in the video stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great video! Agree with Andy to get as many angles as possible for the edit which I think you've achieved anyway. I think the Chesty is a great mount for skiing, handfree, central view, etc.

The SP 39" Remote Pole is good too. One thing I'd like to see people use is this...

Fat Gecko Kaboom, also doubles as a handgrip pole.

http://youtube.com/v/kLDv0SKY2O4

www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/Fat-Gecko-Kaboom-Carbon-Fibre-Extender-Pole-DDMNT-BOOM
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all of the replies.

I used iMovie to edit the clips together. For the Slow Motion I changed the settings on the camera to 720p @ 60fps and then slowed it down to 30fps for the video (so obviously half speed). I was fortunate that it was nice and bright for most of the week so the quality of the shots filmed in 720p doesnt look much worse than that shot at 1080p.

If I was do do it again I would take more time over it and put the videos together much tighter, theres a few shots I included that I wish I had used alternatives, but for my first GoPro video I am pretty pleased.

Interesting post about the boom arm helmet mount, if I ever come across one at a decent price then I might give it a go.

Thanks again
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy