Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any suggestions for good base for first trip to area for experienced skiers?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is not much info to go on, so I would say any will do. Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arabba - centrally located, right on the ronda, local pistes are more challenging than others. Easy access to Marmolada Glacier. 80ish snowheads going there in February for about the 5 time in a row, so must be doing something right..

Selva - good local stuff (dantecepires is a fave, need to do Cir in March), on ronda, easy both ways, good access to Saslong and 2x local black pistes (World cup), Easy access to Oritisei sector, over-run with russians in early jan. Bit more spread out village

Colfosco, located on the ronda, easy access both ways (from piste), ressonable trip to Marmolada, small, pretty, good local bunny slopes (if any learners), fun 3-4 local pistes, cracking 'austrian' apres bar up the hill (Edelweiss) - ski down the floodlight piste

Corvara, just down from Colfosco, larger, more chichi, shares all the same access as colfosco (one 'goes both ways lift' apart). Nothing even remotely challenging locally but 2-3 really good runs (Col Alt back to bottom) and run down from Boe back. Slightly tricky 'cross town' navigation routes to link from one sector to the other. Easy access to San Cass sector / Santa Croce etc

La Villa - off the ronda, 3-4 fantastic local runs - red & black (Gran Risa, WC Slalom Piste) off local bubble - top is quite steep. Black doesn't get much sunshine plus the red down to and back to pedraces, and red from Santa Croce are all great. Bit pfaffy crossing the village, as 2-3 local lifts to nowhere. Probably quite restrained for an evening. Good emergency clinic (sadly I know where it is) . Easy access to Kronplatz (20 mins bus) for a change of scene and to rack up the vertical (3-4 great 1200m runs from mountain top to valley bottom)

San Cassiano - off the ronda, great undemanding local sector - cruisy blues and the odd interesting red - only 2 lifts to the of the bubble out of La Villa and 3 to ski to covara. Easy access to hidden valley and then bus-able to Cortina for a day trip (same lift pass) Great local red piste and good apres bar (Las Vegas) and then easy blue home. Not much apres in resort. Renowned for being quite foody..

TBH - any of them will do you proud / have terrific scenery / can get you onto the ronda. e.g from San cass did the harder orange in 4 hours with a 20 min coffee stop and a level 6 group on the Inside out scale - http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett +1 all well put

joshua, it may depend on what you want over and above the skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also Canazei. Mostly reds so if there's any beginners, consider another village. Easy access to Selva or Arabba, plus the Val di Fassa via a 10 min bus to Alba. Good size town with reasonable nightlife and shops. Red run down into village finishes about 5 mins from the lift, annoyingly, but there is a little free electric train every 10 mins if you can't be bothered to walk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, Sounds like you know it very well, we like to ski all terrain wife likes the cruisy reds better. Nightlife a bit of fun but nothing majorly busy. All sounds great so dont really care too much
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hyst,
Thanks sooooo much for your reply!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a bit mystified by the Sella Ronda, can you just "go and ski" without taking on the journey all the way round? I'm thinking for next year as we've got a group of 10 potentially going in a real mix of abilities (people who've done lessons for 3 days) and then experts taking on anything the piste can throw at them. Don't appear to get a good view from the Piste maps, but probably because i don't know what i'm looking at... Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Levi215, of course! Think of the Sella Ronda as a route a bit like a ring road. You can go all the way around in both directions and it's well sign posted with big green/orange signs so it makes a good day out if you're not familiar with the area. You can relax and follow the signs and gradually get a taster of the different sides/villages.

Less crowded skiing (loosest sense of the word, the crowds are generally much smaller than big French resorts) can be found on slopes which are not signposted as part of the Sella Ronda, but you would still use part of the same route to access them.

For beginners, have a look at Alta Badia (Corvara, San Cassiano, La Villa, Colfosco). There are lots of blue slopes here but it is still close to Arabba and Marmolada for the more experienced.

I'll see if I can find a link to a decent map for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Levi215, the Sella Ronda is a trip that is signposted and it goes around a big lump of rock called the Sella Gruppa. If you are going around it, you either have to carry on, or go back. We have done it with people who were unsure as to whether they could complete it. It isn't a problem if you set off fairly early and give yourself a planned time to be at various places. If you are running behind time, don't get fixated on completing the trip. Turn around and enjoy skiing back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skimap-2013-14/pan_alta_badia.pdf is the Alta Badia map. You can see how the Sella Ronda goes around the Sella Group rock formation, but it is hard to see all the areas on one map - it's normal to pick up another map in each town!

The Dolomitepi Superski website is quite good and has 3D maps too that show the whole area. http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/altabadia/ski-area/weather-slopes/skimap you can pick from the 12 different areas from the menu at the top.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am pooking at Pozza di fassa has anyone know the area quite close to Canazei
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joshua, returned from my 4th holiday in Canazei yesterday. Pozza has direct bus links to Campitello and Canazei to get onto the Sella Ronda with a few slopes of its own. The week's bus pass is, for the first time this year, not included in your lift pass and costs 6-10 euros for the week, depending where you buy it. Pozza itself looks pretty small, has a skiing link to Alba (at the other end of the Val di Fassa) and a few slopes on the other side of the main road which I haven't skied, but somebody on here said that they were pretty and quiet.
The red down into the village from the Alba side is very pretty for the first half and very flat and boring (it follows a mountain stream) for the second half.
I would stay in Alba in preference to Pozza if it were me, and Canazei in preference to either of them given your group's level of skiing. The black down under the cable car into Alba is great.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
useful to know that the last free bus is no longer free.
website says about Moena-Canazei no longer being free, but what about Canazei-Alba? is that bit still free with the lift pass (hope so) ?
http://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freddie Paellahead, Yea canazei was my preference but struggling to get accomodation there.
It will be our first trip to Sella Ronda and i am looking forward to it!
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, Yea canazei was my preference but struggling to get accomodation there.
It will be our first trip to Sella Ronda and i am looking forward to it!
snow report
Possa di Fassa and Viggo di Fassa are neighboring towns, which are quite fare off the Sella Ronda. You have either to take a bus to Campitello/Canazei or go by ski to Alba and take bus again - both ways you speend some time to come to the Sella Ronda.

If you are looking for a resort in Val di Fassa for the Sella Ronda you should look either at Campitello or Canazei and may be Alba.

The local skiing area in Viggo Di Fassa is quite smal.

Sorry if you found my first answer not useful, however the above descriptions are very good. wink

Good info for the area with base in Alta Badia can be found here:

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skiarea&se=e

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 26-01-14 16:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
canazei or campitello would be the more convenient villages in that valley. either will do, since both link straight in. arabba, selva, corvara, colfosco, santa cristina,... all directly on the loop too, for more convenient access to other bits.
ski holidays
andy, all buses in the Fassa valley are theoretically charged. 6 day ticket cost 6E at the hotel but 10E at the Cassa. We didn't use the bus much (3 times in total I think) and had to show our tickets once. The tickets are flimsy and don't stand up to getting wet. Unimpressive.
snow report
Hyst, thanks i will have a search for those or maybe go for Arabba.
ski holidays
Whilst skiing any where at Christmas for snow levels and weather, how snow sure is it for the Christmas period ?
ski holidays
noisey wrote:
Whilst skiing any where at Christmas for snow levels and weather, how snow sure is it for the Christmas period ?

Stayed in Selva for many Dec and Xmas stays (10+). Never been caught out. wink Came close once, but conditions were worse in the Alps that year. The Sud Tirol has a pretty good early season record and the Val Gardena snow making facilities are excellent.
ski holidays
noisey, snow making generally in the Dolomiti Superski area seems pretty efficient. Like Mollerski we went early season (2yrs ago I think) when there had been not a lot of snow. No off piste as a result but pistes in good nick due to good management.
latest report
Mollerski, Freddie Paellahead, That is good news.
After spending 8 Christmas's in france, we are looking elsewhere....
Going on the BB so looking forward to seeing & piste testing the Sella Ronda & Dolomites.
snow report
We've been staying here for a number of years.- http://www.flora.bz/en/Default.asp

Supremely comfortable, excellent food and great value. The website does not do it justice. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Enjoyed Campitello but be aware that you can not ski back to the village. Easiest option was to ski back to Canazei and catch the frequent, free bus to Campitello after sampling the après in the bars around the church on the short walk back from the end of the red, home piste. No such problem for direct access to the Sella Ronda: Col Rodella cable car will get you up there in pretty short order. Get there early (before 9) as the queue quickly builds up. The queue can look horrendous but the cable car is pretty efficient.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
We've been staying here for a number of years.- http://www.flora.bz/en/Default.asp

Supremely comfortable, excellent food and great value. The website does not do it justice. Madeye-Smiley

+1 for the flora. Very well priced hotel for Selva. Don't recall there being a choice for the evening meal but if you ask in advance they will do you something else. Lovely house wine, big bedrooms and ski bus stops literally max of 50m away.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy