Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length - opinion sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just bought my first pair of skis - Atomic Blackeye Ti All Mountain 181cm Very Happy - the advice I took (which seems logical!) led me to a ski that is a bit longer than I would normally use and a bit of doubt has set in!!. Appreciate it can be a bit subjective but wondered what other opinions are?

The reason for the 181cm was

1. More stable at speed
2. Slightly more float in powder when needed
3. Longer ski for more advanced skier so can 'grow into them'
4. Rocker reduces the length in contact with the snow

I am

6ft 1
14 stone
Fairly advanced, say 7 out of 10 - ski more or less anywhere, agressive to moderate!
Ski 80% Piste/20% off/powder

Any thoughts?! Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno the ski particularly but that sounds about right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw a bloke last week - about your size - on a pair of 149cm skis... He seemed to be enjoying hisself

IMHO-FWIW (FA) I think you've gone too long, unless you plan to schuss all the time - they'll be fine for that
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds fine to me. I ski a non rockered ski my own height.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Girl's length wink

The general guide is that rocker knocks 5 to 7 cm at least off effective edge so they'll be fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Redcol wrote:
Any thoughts?! Puzzled

Well, given that you

Redcol wrote:
just bought my first pair of skis

you should probably go ski em and decide whether you made a good choice wink

I'm lighter and shorter than you. My previous 'quiver of 1' ski was 186cm (but twin tipped and with lots of rocker) and my new one is 179 (directional, much less rocker) and I'm not exactly a godlike skiier. You'll be fine with the 181.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy