Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in the Alps - What's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

This question is going to give away how much of a newbie I am but humour me please.... I read loads of differing opinions about driving in the Alps but is it actually anything to be concerned about?

To give some context, my wife and I have some free flights to Marseille that we've decided to use for a quick ski break at the start of February. From Marseilles the easiest option seems to be the smaller resorts in the southern Alps and we've settled on SuperDevoluy.

(Don't worry this is leading somewhere...) The only shared transfer I can find doesn't leave for 4 1/2 hours after we land so I'd decided to hire a car and drive up.

There are lots of advantages to this, an extra afternoon in the resort, the chance to pick up a load of bargain wine and cheese at the hypermarche en route and a little more comfort. However, today I've read some horror stories about people spinning/rolling their cars, being stopped and fined by over zealous police for having the wrong tyres and losing hours and several fingers trying to fit snow chains.

My head tells me that it really can't be that difficult but obviously I want to avoid putting us in any kind of situation that would result in a telling off from Mrs RTG. So my question to you snow heads is... is there really anything to worry about?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RTG, drive carefully and you will be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
in snow, on a col, with no snow tyres or chains?..... yes its terrifying and something that you will only do once in your life Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over take on the straights not the bends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiethebus wrote:
in snow, on a col, with no snow tyres or chains?..... yes its terrifying and something that you will only do once in your life Shocked

Maybe literally.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Over take on the straights not the bends.

but be aware that the locals will do the opposite
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

is there really anything to worry about?

it depends. Yes, if there is loads of snow, or black ice, not if the roads are clear and dry. the police are not "over zealous" when they stop people driving up mountain roads without the right equipment (anybody who has been stuck behind some twit who left it too late to put chains on and then blocked the entire road would know that. wink ).

If you hire a car in the south it is unlikely to have snow tyres (though if you get that option, it's worth the extra) so you absolutely must have chains. You might well not need them, but with ordinary tyres you will find any gradient with snow will be difficult, so get them on as soon as you feel any loss of traction (there are usually suitable "aires de chainage" where you can pull off the road and do it safely).

Look at some videos of how to put chains on and if it's at all likely to be snowy on your drive up (the weather forecast will tell you that) practise in the car hire garage, in the warm and dry, before you get out on the road. A head torch is a big help if you have to do it in the dark, as is a big black bag to put the filthy things in when you take them off (they never fit back into those tidy little boxes).

And yes, as Hells Bells says, drive carefully. Very easy on the gas, higher gear rather than lower where possible, keep the revs down, avoid wheel spin.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's really easy and indistinguishable from any other driving you've done except when it's not, and then it's absolutely proper terrifying.

I lived in the Alps for two years, never had to put chains on, and only one or two 'whoopsadaisy' moments getting sideways round a corner, but of the comedic variety rather than scary.

A year prior to moving out there though, blizzard conditions up to Morzine in a hire car, literally shaking and openly crying because every moment felt like we were going to die. Car skating around all over the place, near zero vis, only 50% sure we were even on the right road...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RTG, I've driven quite a bit of your route before. The first part is good quality roads and you shouldn't have many problems unless the weather is very inclement. It is where you turn off from the main road from Gap that I am not familiar with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only time we've been stopped by the Gendarmes (along with *everybody* I hasten to add) was in Tignes last April and to be honest it was rather a blessing because it removed the "do I don't I" debate that had been going on in my head for a little while. Interesting that they had another man positioned at the end of the aire de chainage checking that we had indeed bothered to put them on, and not just driven in and out again!

Fitting chains is not that big of a deal, especially if you choose your place carefully. Also make sure you have gloves and perhaps a torch to hand. I'd also recommend pulling over again after a few hundred yards and re-checking them as I've seen a few cars shed one.

Inevitably it comes down to common sense, and the fact that you are expressing a degree of caution suggests that you'll probably be OK.

LR
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marseille don't hire snow chains. But you might want to look at Isola 2000 and Auron for resorts - once you get to Nice (90 mins from MRS?) they're only 90mins easy drive. It's entirely feasible to stay on the coast and pop up to the mountains every morning. Isola has 205/265cm snow at the moment too Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RTG, it's a lot like driving anywhere else. I've been doing it for about 16 years, and I can't say it's ever frightened me once.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RTG, Don't worry about it. Just drive to the conditions and be extra careful. Chains are easy enough to fit. If you haven't fitted any before, suggest you practice on a car at home, so you know what to do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
call me dave, Avis site say available on request.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd be more concerned about the cost of the wine and cheese.
latest report
hi all, thanks very much for the reassurance. I am now suitably emboldened and am going to give it a go.

re: the snow chains. It seems that some companies offer them and some don't. However, where they are available they come at a premium from the car hire people - in one instance the cost of hiring chains was more than hiring the car (37eur a day!) - so I think I'll pick some up along with the wine on our way.

I'm hoping that winter tyres will be an option, the websites don't seem to say for sure either way, but if not will some chains see me through?

call me dave, thanks for the tip. I will check out Isola and Auron this evening.
snow report
RTG, have driven through Auron in summer, it looks like a lovely resort.
snow conditions
One or two other things...you might get snow chains cheaper in a garage or a supermarket. Carrefour usually have them in the alpine centres in winter.
Think about snow socks - more expensive and not to be used other than in snow but lighter and therefore possible to bring home. Check your tyre size at home...maybe they will fit hire and home cars?

I have driven quite a few times from the coast up to Briancon (same route as far as Gap). No real problem. I haven't driven all the way to Super Devoluy but check out the web site "inforoute05" (sorry not a link) for the few days beforehand. That will tell you the state of the roads. Then just check the weather immediately beforehand.

If you don't have one, think about getting a sat nav to make the routefinding easy. Cheap enough and a good preventer of domestic rows Madeye-Smiley Also, know how to use it!!
ski holidays
RTG, look at the weather forecast before you go. If it's not going to snow, you won't need chains.
latest report
Quote:

I can't say it's ever frightened me once.

It's not frightened me, either, but it probably would have done at times if I'd not had an appropriately equipped car. I rarely, if ever, drive on the resort access roads on a Saturday - which has probably helped my equanimity. wink Really bad road conditions don't happen very often - and I'm sure it's on a Saturday, more than one-seventh of the time!
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
RTG, look at the weather forecast before you go. If it's not going to snow, you won't need chains.

Although if it snows on the return journey you're stuffed without them - buy chains for peace of mind.

Thousands of holiday makers from non Alpine place get safely to resorts each week - drive carefully, put chains on if advised and you will be fine
ski holidays
Quote:

Although if it snows on the return journey you're stuffed without them

happened to family members staying in my apartment. I (in the UK at the time) warned them of forecast v heavy snow on the Friday night before they left. Locals dismissed the idea and told them they wouldn't need chains - they missed their flight and had an acutely stressful day. rolling eyes
snow report
IMHO it is easier than driving in the UK when it snows
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
call me dave, Avis site say available on request.

There's conflicting information on there. Plus out of curiosity in december I asked if they're available at the desk at NCE closer to the mountains and I may as well have just asked them for a golden reindeer to pull my sledge with. Winter tyres definitely aren't an option at the coastal French airports. It's fair enough, given the relatively small number of people who hire a car to go skiing round there and the climate.
snow report
Quote:

it is easier than driving in the UK when it snows

yes it is, because you have the right tyres, have chains as back up (and will be required to use them when conditions are really bad) and because even tiny communities in the Alps will have a fleet of very expensive plant to clear the roads. I saw no fewer than 6 huge snowploughs working at once, clearing the supermarket car park in albertville. Imagine asking the Council Tax payers of a small town in middle England to cough up for a fleet of snowploughs to be used once in a blue moon!

Also, of course, and equally important, the traffic density, except on a dozen busy Saturdays, is negligible.
latest report
call me dave, we had chains when we drove to Serre Che from Nice.
snow report
RTG wrote:
I will check out Isola and Auron this evening

I learned to ski in Isola 2000 whilst living in that neck of the woods. It's about 90 minutes from Nice on a good day but the drive does include a 1000m climb from Isola village and the traffic can be nose to tail (it's mainly a resort for weekenders). There are busses from Nice Airport and railway station direct to Isola 2000 and Auron and you could dump the car at the airport and take the bus (it's only a couple of €) rather than fork out for snow tyres. There's also a large shopping centre next to Nice airport, Cap 3000. Both Auron and Isola have loads of snow at the moment (old workmate insists on updating me most weekends, the bu99er!).

However, do you really fancy a four hour or so journey from Marseille? Probably not, when there are other, closer, alternatives. Here's a list of resorts served by bus from Marseille. Not suggesting you get the bus, but you could maybe scan the list and investigate the resorts and driving times?

http://www.info-ler.fr/en/regional-network/the-navettes-blanches/the-navettes-blanches-n335

Said pal is skiing in the Espace Lumiere this weekend. Looks to be lots of runs. And snow.Smile
ski holidays
RTG wrote:
hi all, thanks very much for the reassurance. I am now suitably emboldened and am going to give it a go.

re: the snow chains. It seems that some companies offer them and some don't. However, where they are available they come at a premium from the car hire people - in one instance the cost of hiring chains was more than hiring the car (37eur a day!) - so I think I'll pick some up along with the wine on our way.

I'm hoping that winter tyres will be an option, the websites don't seem to say for sure either way, but if not will some chains see me through?

call me dave, thanks for the tip. I will check out Isola and Auron this evening.

I've never seen winter tyres as an option on a hire car in France, but chains are a far better bet anyway. If you can't get chains at a sensible price (30E for the week) from the rental agency, stopping in one of the big supermarkets nearer the alpes (you're passing through Gap?) you can normally buy them, and from what I've seen usually for much less than renting them.

As for driving in France, what's not to like about that?, do remember to do it on the other side. And expect to see Frenchmen also doing it on your side coming towards you around corners on the more windy roads Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all,

Almost a year later I thought I'd offer an update in case any other alpine driving newbies that stumbled across this thread thought we'd perished on the road from Gap and decided to stick with coach transfers.

We didn't.

Based on my one experience I would say it is a doddle*. We drove up and down in light snow and it couldn't have been easier. I'd bought some chains in the supermarket but didn't need them. The roads right up into the resort only had a light dusting on snow on them. Nothing close to warrant putting them on and they stayed in the boot for the whole week (which was a bit of a shame as I'd put them on and taken them off again twice in the carpark to practice). It is mentioned earlier in this thread but it seems that even the smallest village has a fleet of snowploughs and I assume this is why snow doesn't sit on the roads for long.

If you are considering it then definitely go for it. We are doing it again in a few weeks (assuming there is some snowfall between now and then). Although be aware that if you don't pay the extra to park undercover somewhere then you begin the last morning of your holiday with a pretty intensive workout by digging the car out of the snow. A good hangover cure that is not.

*I am writing this fully aware that people ended up stranded for hours in the snow over new year but gather than was a freak occurance.
ski holidays
If it does start to snow then don't wait until the others on the road stop to put on chains as they may have snow tyres where as you do not. (We made this mistake once on the pass from Serre Che to Grenoble.)
I would say it's usually a doddle. I quite enjoy it.
ski holidays
If you hire a car with satnav fitted, ensure they switch the language over to English for you, before you leave the car hire firm offices.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy