Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone recommend a ski resort close to Chicago

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, not sure if anyone can make any recommendations but thought I might ask anyway. I will be in Chicago for 2 weeks the end of Feb and would like to get a few days skiing during the weekend. I will have a car and don't mind a bit of a drive. I have done a bit of research already and there seem to be a few places in Wisconsin but would love bit of advice from anyone who might have been in mid-West! (I've already looked into taking a flight to Denver but not worth it when I only have a weekend - flights expensive).

Thanks a mil Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know much about skiing around Chicago or Wisconsin. But I learn to ski in Michigan (across the lake), and noticed a lot of people from Chicago came over to ski at Boyne Mountain. It is a bit of a drive though. Still, doable for a weekend.

Another place to look at is again in Michigan, but the piece north of Wisconsin, call the UP (Upper Peninsula). It might be just as long a drive from Chicago.

This is the midwest. Be prepared to see "mountains" the height of a frig... (hence the long drive to Michigan, where you get slightly bigger hills: the height of highway overpass)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh thanks abc, wasn't expecting any responses to this one! I'll check out those places you mentioned and yeah not expecting much in the way of mountains but nice excuse to have some fun for a few days! very happy I posted now Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a stay in Chicago a few years ago enroute to Denver and had to wait at the airport for an hour for a taxi before they managed to find one big enough for skis, I probably shouldn't have said I was going skiing at customs as I got quite a grilling.
I guessed that Chicago was a bit short of ski slopes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emamcl, could fly direct to aspen , two min transfer to town , some reasonable accom available out of peak season ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oh really Dabber, I didn't consider it - thanks I'll check out flights and see what they look like Smile Lots of options popping up here - I love snowheads!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dabber wrote:
some reasonable accom available out of peak season ??

End of Feb IS peak season!

That said, if you can stomach the air fare, here are some of the places close to airport (no need for car) that MIGHT have direct flights from Chicago: Steamboat, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley

(there're more than those, but just a short list on the top of my head)

[EDIT]
Oh, Whistler!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for those options abc, I will suss out flights and see if I can find anything reasonable for a weekend Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

Another place to look at is again in Michigan, but the piece north of Wisconsin, call the UP (Upper Peninsula). It might be just as long a drive from Chicago.

My wife is a Yooper (i.e. she's from the UP). There are ski hills there, but it's a good 8 hours drive from Chicago to the UP. Although Boyne Mountain isn't exactly a short drive either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I lived in Chicago for 20 long years and I can't recommend any ski resort close by.

However, don't overlook a friday evening flight to Salt Lake City and a return flight sunday night or monday morning. You could get a couple really nice days at Park City or Alta/Snowbird.

But that being said, Chicago is great fun even in winter. Loads of good restaurants, go see some hockey, 2 or 3 really good museums.

Hope you have a good time whatever you do...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wait a second. i changed my mind.

I'm going to recommend Devil's Head Resort in Merrimac Wisconsin. It's about 3 hours from Chicago. http://www.devilsheadresort.com/ It skis slightly bigger than it's 300 acres of terrain and it's 500 feet of vertical...

Traffic can be terrible getting out of the city on a Friday so plan for it to take up to 4 or so.

If you go, there are a few things you should try to do on your way there. If you like cheese and sausage you may enjoy The Brat Stop. http://www.bratstop.com/

If you like beer, you may want to stop at New Glaurus Brewery. The Spotted Cow is fantastic, as is Totally Naked. http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

Also there's a thing called a fish boil that Wisconsin restaurants put on on Fridays. But maybe not in winter. Not really sure... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_boil

Wisconsin is where Chicago vacations.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slc. plenty of flights. cheap hotels in town. discount lift passes from ski shops.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nearest to Chicago is probably Devils Head, it's not very big though, kind of like several snowdome slopes lined up in a row on a hill. It's ok for a day or so and they have snowmaking for when there's no real snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or, try cross country skiing, when the lack of hills is actually a welcome feature. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks folks,I had looked at Devils Head already and seems to be best option for driving as I'm actually in Northbrook a bit out of Chicago but from map looks to be on Wisconsin side. Great recommendations Nil Admirari - will def look into those also. I've been to Chicago before so I've already done alot of the tours/museum stuff - highly recommend the great architecture tour in Chicago btw! I'll take another wee look at flights in case something super cheap pops up but otherwise I reckon its Devils Head for a couple of days!
ski holidays
Yes abc funny you mention that I have looked into that as an option for my day 2 - ski on a some hills for a day and then cross country skiing another day! Smile
snow report
Lager wrote:

My wife is a Yooper (i.e. she's from the UP). There are ski hills there, but it's a good 8 hours drive from Chicago to the UP. Although Boyne Mountain isn't exactly a short drive either.

Thanks for that info and tells me that going into Michigan too far a drive for me. Yooper - great term, never heard this before!
ski holidays
Shemshak or Dizin, (both in Iran) an easy international hop, skip, 'n a jump from Chicago.
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
Shemshak or Dizin, (both in Iran) an easy international hop, skip, 'n a jump from Chicago.

Via Heathrow? wink
snow conditions
I used to work in Chicago, in an old department store...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy