Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have any of you been to Foppolo in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
We have decided to sneak off for a ski weekend without the children. ( telling them we are going to the dentist). We are flying into Bergamo and did a search with J2ski for resorts close to the airport. Well Foppolo is just an hour away which suits us fine. What I want to know is has anyone skied there and if so what is it like? . It seems fairly good for just two days . It is hard to find much information on the placed though.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes in 2008 I think. It's pretty scruffy not a lot there but a couple of decent hotels. Not a huge amount of skiing but for 2 days pottering about it's fine. I quite enjoyed it. Hotels generally do a decent package and arrange reasonable transfers. It gets quite busy at weekends with Milanese coming up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope, but it seems your timing is impeccable. Webcams showing tonnes of snow. God luck and let us know how it goes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Foppolo linked to Carona by piste /lift
Foppolo linked to SAn Simone by bus, infrequent

So Carona/Foppolo directly linked

All three resorts on one pass ; Brembo Ski

Foppolo has lots of accom, but is the busier of the two, lots of kids. Not much charm there, but ski/in ski/out or very close to being so

Carona is a nicer town, u get to the slopes using an old two man chair, doesnt take long

I prefer Carona, stay there and ski between Foppolo/Carona. Two hotels there in Carona, about 60 euro hb is the going rate
San Simone , there is one hotel, but the place is dead at night

Lifts are not bad, slopes , enuf to keep u occupied for at least two days

All three the same distance from Bergamo

If you have a hire car, you could ski one day in Foppolo /Carona, and drive to San Simone, 5km from Foppolo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Current (photos dated 19.01.2014) conditions in Foppolo

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Foppolo is nearest, but I would prefer Madesimo - about an hour extra transfer time, but a much bigger and nicer ski area
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Those pics are incredible. I assume that is close to all-time epic snow depth for Foppolol?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
biddpyat, I did it for a day trip back in 2006 when Ryanair still did flights for a £0.01. My report is http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11904

The piste map exaggerated the amount of skiing and several of the lifts weren't working despite there being plenty of snow and plenty of punters and there was nowhere near as much ski area available as suggested. Others also found the same, but I haven't seen any recent reports on the resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madesimo trip report, christmas 2013.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.640064279368066.1073741833.220215511352947&type=1

And some random photos

Valle di Lei, backside of Groppera

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went there 25 yrs back as 14 yr old with my school... Don't really remember it too much, but thought I'd share... I am sure you'll have fun. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a few years since I went, and it was a poor snow year, but I can't say I'd rush back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlpineAddict wrote:
Went there 25 yrs back as 14 yr old with my school... Don't really remember it too much, but thought I'd share... I am sure you'll have fun. Smile

This was the first ski resort I went to, it was a school ski trip but cant remember if it was 1981 or 1982 (33 years ago) - So have fond memories for that reason!
Also don't remember too much about it other than we stayed at a hotel right on a slope (parallel) with what even at the time felt like an old two man chair running past and up the hill. One of the other kids broke his leg within the first two days and another was so scared by it he refused to go out again so they sat on the balcony of our room and watched.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all for replying. We aren't going for a few weeks yet and I am kicking myself for booking a hotel. To be honest trip advisor and people saying the ski lift was outside the door was the reason I jumped at
booking the hotel so soon. I was looking at one in Cortina I just didn't realise the difference in the towns. We will be hiring a car so we can drive to that village in the evening to eat etc. We are only back from skiing in Germany, and the snow wasn't great, it was icy . We had little kids with us too, and that is a reason we decided to see where Ryan air was going and if we could sneak a weekend skiing before the spring
comes. Another question I have found Foppolo and the general area on facebook, it seems that there are lots of places where we can leave the piste? is this so, that adds lots of fun. Are the blacks a good Challenge?
It says on the piste maps that there are a few blacks? . Here in the West of Ireland we never get snow, so any type of skiing is great, but when you go to the effort it is nice to pick a place where there is fairly good variety to keep us busy for two days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive been to Foppolo a few times. I've always enjoyed it as a weekend break, especially when Ryanair did the penny flights. Would still be going if flights were still as cheap and the £ was stronger against the euro as it used to be. We always stayed at Hotel Des Alpes, the owners (brother and sister) were wonderful and always remembered us.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went there about 10 years ago with my dad when I was 16. It was my first time skiing and I loved it. Didnt do a whole lot other than ski down on my back bottom but it was still great craic all the same.
Edit: Just notice that the site replace my actual word with "back bottom" Smile
ski holidays
Backside? or back bottom? lol.........
Well still going, I thought of changing the hotel, ( really that is all we need to do) but everywhere else is over two hours drive away, and as we have to be in the airport at stupid O clock to fly home we decided to stick with foppolo. Having our own car we will be able to go over to the other resort . We only have two days so between the three areas they have four blacks? and some off piste so maybe it won't be too bad. We can practice our speed skiing too. Just hopeing it snows enough to keep the people from Milan from joining us I hate lift ques, love sking right back and straight on the lift again, ( I know I have grown fussy) snowHead
latest report
Where is your hotel, which town
latest report
Ha ha, I know now what you said, fr Jack would be proud of ya. We are staying in Foppolo itself, most of the hotels seemed booked, ( so it seems that there will be a large crowd in the area after all) Cripes I just checked on my booking.com account and I hadn't booked the hotel at all. ( good job I checked) but the one we picked was the hotel adler, which is just at the bottom of a lift. The other hotel we were looking at is half way to Carona, its called Rifugio Terrerosse . I wouldn't mind it but it might be a tad too isolated in the evening.
latest report
biddpyat wrote:
We have decided to sneak off for a ski weekend without the children. ( telling them we are going to the dentist). We are flying into Bergamo and did a search with J2ski for resorts close to the airport. Well Foppolo is just an hour away which suits us fine. What I want to know is has anyone skied there and if so what is it like? . It seems fairly good for just two days . It is hard to find much information on the placed though.

I know it's an old post, but could be of some interest for somone of you.

Foppolo is a very snowy location and also well known among Berghem and Milan skiers, but the best place to go skiing in Bergamo is Colere in Scalve valley, it's far far better landsacapesand sunny place behind the north west wall of Presolana mountain that is dolomitic. Tracks are larger and longer than Foppolo and equally snowy. Some years ago they hosted italian downhill chamionships. In the near Clusone that is almost 10000 inhabitants you can Find all you need for a funny night. some years ago I listened to austrian tourists to repeat "wonderbar" while sitting on the chairlift near to me. Colere is for sure worth a one day trip.
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads, @ligurt, snowHead An interesting first post. Grazie.
snow conditions
I started a winter season repping there once upon a time and was moved to a different resort after New Year.
Two things stand out:
Julian Lennon was there with his Italian step-dad and
There was so much snow that the phone box in front of the hotel was buried.
In those days there were three British tourops in town - Thomson Ski for Schools, Swans and Schools Abroad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy