Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for April skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to take the family skiing for the first time this year. I had hoped to go to Flaine or Morzine in the February half term as I've skiied there before the kids came along and thought they would be good places for them to learn however the hike in prices and availability put me off. I've decided to look at the next half term which is in April and wondered if anybody could recommend any snow sure resorts and what the conditions are generally like at this time of the year.

One of the kids gets a bit travel sick so ideally we'd like to keep the transfer times down to say 2 hours max. Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
karlos247, welcome.

I have asked similar questions in the past and as a result of answers, I have booked St Anton and Les Deux Alpes, and I have been that week to Belle Plagne that week and Courchevel.

Others that I have heard should be good are Tignes / Val D'Isere and Val Thorens.

I am sure there are plenty of others.

Transfers side, you need to watch which airport you fly to. For example we are going to Les Deux Alpes and that was part the reason for chosing that as we could fly to Grenoble and MW are claiming the transfer will be 1hr 45mins, but it is significantly longer if fly to Geneva.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi and thanks for the welcome Smile

Thanks for the feedback I'll look into those resorts along with any others that get suggested. I'm a bit more confident in conditions but my wife has concerns about slushy runs or areas where grass comes through so I need to do my research well Smile

I found a great little webpage where you select the relevant resort or airport and it lists all corresponding transfer times from various airports.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should have a look here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=family#2124833
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are some threads from where I was deciding where to book http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2184531&highlight=easter#2184531, with some nice piccies.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2039003&highlight=anton#2039003

and another

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2038624&highlight=depth#2038624
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and to JimboS suggestion of Mayrhofen - that was where I learnt to ski a very long time ago along (circa 26yrs ago) with my parents and sister and we had a fantastic time and started out life long love of skiing and we all still go skiing reguarly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll get slush in all of those resorts in April. Val Thorens , being at 2300m will have much less than all of the others.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can minimise the slushy skiing by getting up when the lifts open and staying high up in the afternoon, just skiing the slush once for the home run. I wouldn't let fear of slush put you off. The nice thing about April skiing is that the slopes aren't too crowded and depending on where you choose you may hardly need to queue for lifts.

I would suggest looking at the orientation of the slopes as well as altitude when choosing where to go. Val Thorens is obviously the safest bet snow wise but I think there are better places to ski with children. Montgenevre is my favourite for April skiing but we are giving Les Arcs a go this year (and staying high up). Flaine & the Grand Massif were very good last April but it was an exceptional year for snow. we even found a bit of snow in Flaine in August when we were on our summer holiday Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VT is just a resort at the stop of its ski area, the bottom is still 1200m,

What defines best for the OP though?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey guy's thanks for your posts. I'll review the links properly later.

Resort wise I've only skiied Ravascletto, Borovets, Flaine (x3) and Morzine (x2) with Flaine being my favourite. I just thought that it was great for beginners and families who don't need too much off the snow. While I'd love to ski there in April, I don't want to gamble too much on conditions.

I'll have a good look at Mayrhofen as I'd not come across it before and if it comes highly recommended, that a bonus. I'll also look at Val Thorens, I can live with a bit of late afternoon slush Smile The one I probably like the sound of most at this stage however is Montgenevre as a friend had suggested it as one of the best resorts that had skiied at irrespective of the time of year and it might be nice to try somewhere new.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In warm April weather a lot of ski resorts are slush feasts early afternoon.

A glacier could well be a better option.
e.g. Kaprun, Austria. Bottom lift is circa 2000m. Most of the skiing is above 2500m.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ive only skied april once last year in belle plagne and the conditions were great. if I was forward peaking and you are going in one of the two easter weeks my instincts would be to stay high, or take a risk and book late-there will be availability.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
karlos247 wrote:
The one I probably like the sound of most at this stage however is Montgenevre as a friend had suggested it as one of the best resorts that had skiied at irrespective of the time of year and it might be nice to try somewhere new.

Has your friend skied extensively? I've been to Montgenevre on a couple of day trips but it would never make my top 10.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obergurgl's fine at that time of year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jimbo - what are your top ten for Easter family skiing?
latest report
hobbiteater wrote:

That's not quite true. In fact, it isn't really true at all. iirc the lowest run in Val Thorens is from Boismint down to Plan d'eau which is still above Les Menuires and is about 1800 ish metres.

You can of course ski further down the valley but you are not then in Val Thorens - you atre in Les Menuire and then St. Martin. Last time I was in St. Martin, the lowest ski run in that valley, I think it was about 1600M.

With VT the village is at 2300 M and the main North facing runs go up to around 3200 - 3400 M.

In April and right through to the first week of May the skiing is pretty good on the North facing slopes and not slushy. (I think the snowheads eosb is often held there in the last week April)..

It gets slushy in the afternoon from around 2400M down depending on the temperature.

For late season snow, go high. If this season carries on with patchy snow then even more reason for go high.
latest report
Les 2 Alpes has been great the last two Easters
snow conditions
Transport and transfer wise check out the direct Eurostar option to either Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice. From Bourg to Les Arcs is a funicular, from Bourg to Val D'Isere or Tignes is 45min taxi. We've been Eurostar to Tignes at Easter with kids for the last 5 years and never had real snow issues as far as I can remember.
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:

That is simply not correct. The actual resort of VT is at 2300. Its lowest lift (Plan de L'Eau) is at 1800 (and even that services only two runs and is almost of no consequence when closed) I am assuming you mentioned 1200 by including the lowest connecting run to Les Menuires, but that is merely a track and in any event is in Les Menuires at that altitude.

By far the majority of VT's skiing is well above 2000 and the thing that sets it apart from many other high resorts, is the sheer number of different runs of all grades that sit above this level and are virtually never 'slushy' in April and certainly not back to its 2300 hub.

Unfortunately its a bit of a gamble whether you can reasonably ski the remainder of the Trois Vallees connecting resorts (although last April that was not only doable but was superb) but then thats to be expected as they are low (including Courchevel which is a relative swimming pool during afternoons!)

VT is by no means my favourite resort, but must be right at the top of many lists for April skiing Smile Oh, and did I mention there is a sH bash Twisted Evil
snow report
JimboS wrote:
karlos247 wrote:
The one I probably like the sound of most at this stage however is Montgenevre as a friend had suggested it as one of the best resorts that had skiied at irrespective of the time of year and it might be nice to try somewhere new.

Has your friend skied extensively? I've been to Montgenevre on a couple of day trips but it would never make my top 10.

No they have not. I believe that they've only been there once but were impressed with the range of skiing and the place itself.
latest report
Sorry, I've just returned to the thread and noticed that there had been further posts but I had not received a Topic Reply Notification.

Thanks for the further input it really is appreciated, I'll look a bit closer into VT, Tignes & Kaprun.
snow conditions
As glaciers go, I much preferred Hintertux to Kaprun but I don't know what it's like in April.

VT was great at the end of April last year, the afternoon slush wasn't a problem.

Val and Tignes are certainly a good bet end of season, I'm going end of March.

La Plagne was fine too at the end of March with a decent selection of high runs. I'd say it's a nice family resort as well.
snow report
JimboS wrote:
You should have a look here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=family#2124833

JimboS I thought that your link was really interesting and has got me seriously considering Mayrhofen, the snow record from your images appears great. I've read a few reviews and wondered if you could give me feedback from your experience as to how valid these are. They state the negatives being long queues for the gondola and crowded runs. Given that we're taking the 2 children for the first time I'm expecting that we'll be spending a lot of time on beginners runs can you advise how good the resort would be to cater for this?

Another potential negative was the need to use 'oversubscribed busses' or have a car? Are there any hotels close to the beginners slopes that would reduce this?

I should also say that among the positives were: snow sure, good for confident intermediates, attractive village with great apres ski and excellent children's amenities Smile
ski holidays
Cervinia
latest report
Like davkt, I'm a real fan of L2A late season, I've been every April (usually school Easter holidays) since 2007. Even in 2011 when many resorts were more or less finished by then there was still 1000m+ vertical of decent skiing. This year I'll be there the whole month up to closing Happy
ski holidays
andyman wrote:
hobbiteater wrote:

That is simply not correct. The actual resort of VT is at 2300. Its lowest lift (Plan de L'Eau) is at 1800 (and even that services only two runs and is almost of no consequence when closed) I am assuming you mentioned 1200 by including the lowest connecting run to Les Menuires, but that is merely a track and in any event is in Les Menuires at that altitude.

By far the majority of VT's skiing is well above 2000 and the thing that sets it apart from many other high resorts, is the sheer number of different runs of all grades that sit above this level and are virtually never 'slushy' in April and certainly not back to its 2300 hub.

Unfortunately its a bit of a gamble whether you can reasonably ski the remainder of the Trois Vallees connecting resorts (although last April that was not only doable but was superb) but then thats to be expected as they are low (including Courchevel which is a relative swimming pool during afternoons!)

VT is by no means my favourite resort, but must be right at the top of many lists for April skiing Smile Oh, and did I mention there is a sH bash Twisted Evil

VT is certainly one of the other main options being looked at andyman Smile
snow report
karlos247 wrote:
JimboS I thought that your link was really interesting and has got me seriously considering Mayrhofen, the snow record from your images appears great. I've read a few reviews and wondered if you could give me feedback from your experience as to how valid these are. They state the negatives being long queues for the gondola and crowded runs. Given that we're taking the 2 children for the first time I'm expecting that we'll be spending a lot of time on beginners runs can you advise how good the resort would be to cater for this?

Another potential negative was the need to use 'oversubscribed busses' or have a car? Are there any hotels close to the beginners slopes that would reduce this?

I should also say that among the positives were: snow sure, good for confident intermediates, attractive village with great apres ski and excellent children's amenities Smile

My kids (13, 17, 20, 22, 23, 26) all grew up going to Mayrhofen every Easter since we discovered it and they love it, and still come on holiday with us.

Snow record - Complete cover every year, fresh snow has fallen during the week ~10 years out of the last 13
Powder days - At least a couple of powder days for at least ~10 out of 13years
Sunshine record - At least 50% sunny days during the week for 11 out of 13 years
Slush on mid to lower runs - Almost guaranteed during some part of the week.
Home run to village open on Ahorn - 12 out of 13 years
Temperatures on the hill - generally warm, sometimes hot
Temperatures in the village - generally hot
Crowded runs - not particularly at Easter
Gondola queue up - At Easter, ok before 9, worst case maybe 5 to 10 mins at peak time (Kids ski school are given priority)
Gondola queue down - At Easter between 3.30 and 5 can be up to 15 mins wait, we generally get up early and down early to avoid the down queue and then sometimes get a last run in from top to bottom on the Ahorn which is always quite.*
Need for local bus - Not needed if you get a Zentrum location
Bus to Hintertux - no problem going up as the bust starts at Mayrhofen but gets busier as it stops going up the valley
Bus back from Hintertux - busy but there are lots of busses
Need to got to Hintertux - not really be we always go up for a day.
Beginner area access - All are accessed by gondola, try to stay in the Zentrum area for a short walk to the Penken gondola.
Beginner suitability - They seem to be good, my two youngest kids both learned to ski at the school in Mayrhofen and were both riding the Harikiri on their third or fourth week.

* there is a good technique to moving through the queue fast.

If you plan to go the week beginning the 5th then you will need to be prepared for a lot of this in the village and on the hill! And you will need ear plugs to get to sleep.

http://youtube.com/v/bwGIx4BuPMM

The Kasabian concert last year was fantastic.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 5-02-14 23:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Anyone know what Sella Ronda/ Dolomites are like around Easter?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Dolomiti Ski website says they close April 6th!

Perhaps with all the snow, they will keep it open longer this year, then you could get a dirt cheap last minute...
snow report
Ah sugar, I thought I might get a bit of extra grace after the lifts close in Soll!! But you're right, I'll keep an eye on it closer to the time wink
latest report
Humpfknick, usually slushy conditions, freeze thaw, you know the thing, but this year? Who knows with the buckets of snow they've had so far this season.

We had brilliant holiday some time back in the first week of April in Madonna di Campiglio, Italy, a free ski pass came with the hotel accommodation. Only problem was half the lifts closed during the week! But they have a glacier and plenty other lifts were still open.
snow conditions
Quote:

Perhaps with all the snow, they will keep it open longer this year, then you could get a dirt cheap last minute...

the lower levels of the Dolomites are a bit slushy already - Corvara, for example. There might be a lot of snow around but that means there's lots to melt. It's been pretty warm. It's quite unusual for resorts to stay open beyond their advertised closing dates.
latest report
Conditions could well be ace if you like corn/slush, crap if you're a moaner
latest report
Does anybody familiar with Val Thorens know what Le Portillo is like?
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Conditions could well be ace if you like corn/slush, crap if you're a moaner

Laughing
snow conditions
I skied Zermatt in April and it was amazing! Pretty much every run was open, apart from a couple of the very lowest down into town (you are still left with 2000m vertical!) and the weather was amazing. The downsides are that it is tricky to get to and expensive.
ski holidays
JimboS what's the transfer to Mayrhofen like? On paper it's pretty short and much shorter than VT which is a factor as my youngest gets a bit travel sick in car so the thought of 3 hrs is a bit daunting for us.
snow conditions
karlos247,
Mayrhofen is around 1 hours drive from either Salzburg or Innsbruck Airport.

Obergurgl is around 1:30 from Innsbruck.

Serfaus is just over an hour from Innsbruck.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-02-14 11:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
London_Falcon wrote:
Transport and transfer wise check out the direct Eurostar option to either Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice. From Bourg to Les Arcs is a funicular, from Bourg to Val D'Isere or Tignes is 45min taxi. We've been Eurostar to Tignes at Easter with kids for the last 5 years and never had real snow issues as far as I can remember.

I'd consider the rail option as 45 mins in a taxi is a great transfer time for us. What has your experience of the trains/facilities/changes been like? I'd probably have to go Liverpool-London to start.
snow report
Mayrhofen is an hour from Innsbruck and is an easy transfer, and on a good day two hours from Munich.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy