Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring skis what to ask for??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've always hired skis, just fill in details and happily go with what we are given no problems. However our last trip at Christmas I found I was really struggling, I found it really hard to turn, I put it down to my lack of technique etc although the conditions were good and I wasn't feeling too nervous (18 weeks exp and still get nervous), day 3 decided to go back to the shop and explain, the guy tried to explain about different skis and exchanged them for others which he said I would find easier, I was amazed at how much easier they were, felt like new legs!!
So its got me thinking/worrying now as to what to ask for next time, what does everyone ask for? and how do you know exactly what you will get on with? I've established that I probably need new boots as my ankles were getting sore, but I don't think that contributed to me struggling, thanks as always Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feefee, good question. I'd love to know. The last couple of years I've skied like a dream (for me) and had no thigh burn at all. I had put that down to marginally improved technique but recently wondered if it was just because I'd chanced upon the 'right' skis. Worried I may not be so lucky next time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feefee, If you know what you didn't like, and what you did like (model names maybe) then I'm sure someone here will know the characteristics of that ski. It's good advice to note down names of skis you like, as most ski shop techs would know what was similar even if they didn't have exactly that.

That said if you were struggling to turn then my first guess would be that he swapped out for something lighter, softer and possibly shorter. So saying "light and soft" would probably be a good place to start.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't know particular modesl to say 'I loved X last year', just tell them about you and let them pick
e.g.
I'm mostly skiing blue runs what skis are easy to turn.
I've been skiing a while but I just want something easy for red runs, I'm a bit nervous sometimes.
I like to ski fast, mostly onpiste, something good for moguls/short turns please
Something all mountain please, I like to get offpiste when I can.

The first two should get you forgiving short skis, the middle one something fairly slim and bouncy with a short radius, the latter something with a wide waist - just check the length weight to make sure you've not been given QE2 barges.

FWIW I tell them I'm "good for an english holiday skier ;o)" that I've been skiing since I was 9 and that we do "any runs, pretty fast, plus a bit of offpiste" but that "I'm lazy so nothing too demanding". So far has always worked, the two balance out and I've been correctly given some midwaist, midlength, midpack all mountain skis which completely reflect my entirely average abilities!

aj xx
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you, yes I should've remembered the name of the ones I liked but didn't, the ones I swapped to were the same length but he tried to explain that they turn in a different place on the ski, I had no idea what he was on about Embarassed
I don't like to appear awkward and put too many requests in, but I'll have a go and if they're good will write down the name. I honestly didn't realise that skis could make skiing so different.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That might have been the placing of the binding feefee - women specific skis are sometimes mounted further forward to make it easier to deal with the 'differing weight balance' (I've always assumed this is a polite way of referring to the fact many ladies have more of a bum than your average man!). IME they are usually easier to turn. I'm sure google will give you endless details if required!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy