Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice driving from Lyon airport to La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
we are driving from Lyon airport to La Tania on Saturday and was just wondering what the local roads are like at the minute? are there any roads that I should avoid? What about tolls?

We would also like to stop at a supermarket on the way up to La Tania (is there one on the drive up that we would see if passing?) I am going to be using my satnav on my phone (google maps) has anyone used this and was it ok? Im also going to print out instructions too.

All advice greatfully recieved.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-01-14 14:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stopped in Chambery en route to La Tania a few weeks ago, massive supermarket there. There's some smaller ones on the way up too (I seem to remember a SuperU)

We bought a SANEF pass for tolls but before I've used either cash or credit cards, you don't usually need your PIN if your using the credit card at the automatic toll booths. Not sure about car hire as we drove all the way. Don't forget to take the paper part of your driving licence along with you too.

Roads were fine right up to resort when we went at Xmas but not sure how much snow they've had in last few weeks. Our sat nav didn't seem to like La Tania but it's well signposted and easy to find.

Where are you staying?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo99, you are my kind of person: a bit scatty and disorganised (just like me)
Your hubby has a card, but don't know the PIN.
You have a card, but you're not the driver.
And, it seems, you don't have a map. Brilliant. Very Happy
The drive to Tania is easy. Just take the motorway past Chambery and Albertville, turn right at Moutiers, and follow the signs to Courchevel.
How the road will be come Saturday is anyone'd guess
Good supermarket just off the road at Albertville
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of supermarkets in Albertville

Personally would take the toll roads - will take you eaasily to Moutiers and turn off to La Tania

As for CC - ring and ask for new pin or many cards you can check PIN online
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would suggest printing out the route from via Michelin as well as using phone sat nav.

Surely your hubby needs to ask his bank for the pin number so that he can use it not just for tolls but in mountain restaurants etc. You could pay in cash at the toll booths and then you wouldn't need the credit card. It won't come to that much between Lyon and the Tarentaise.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowymum, long time since used them, but don't think you need PIN for tolls, is just a card swipe at machine

Certainly need it for buying meals unless you have a lot of cash!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris - I think you are right - it takes the card and gives it back and then you press the button for the receipt. However I wouldn't want to risk being asked for my pin at a booth and not knowing it. Imagine the impatient people stuck behind you. Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bagginsmum, thanks for that, we are staying at a private apartment in les folyeres, Im really excited.
Jonpim, and there was me thinking I was quite organised haha. Ive just rang the car hire company and they will not release the car without hubby having a credit card so lucky when i was sent my cc they stuck one in for my hubby and i was able to obtain his pin through the online banking section of it. thank god for that! good job i didnt go just thinking I could use mine, otherwise I would have ended up driving and hubby HATES my driving! lol
hubby is the type of person who lets me sort all the finances and he hates using credit cards. It was only for the hire car that he had to have his card in his name! a bit stupid when i made the booking and I paid for the booking. oh well. Its sorted now. phew.

Does anyone have any idea how much the tolls will be from Lyon to La Tania? Id rather keep to main roads and pay the tolls rather than B roads to save on money and time. We have all day Saturday to get there. Is there a Macdonalds en route? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowymum, Tollbooths in France don't ask for the pin. Nor any I know of elsewhere as it's too slow. If you want to make it quicker through the toll, don't bother with the receipt.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99, From motorway outside Lyon there are two stretches of toll road

21/12/13 10:12 AREA A43 ST QUENTIN FAL. BARR A43 CHAMBERY NORD 01 11.00
21/12/13 10:48 AREA A43 CHIGNIN BARRIERE A430 STE HELENE BARRIERE 01 5.20

This was from statement from earlier trip so €16.20 each way
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, thanks for that Boris - is that per vehicle?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo99, Yep

That's for a Class 1 vehicle as well i.e. normal car/MPV/4*4

Only start getting charged more if van, towing trailer etc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you are my kind of person: a bit scatty and disorganised (just like me)

she's not, actually - I've met polo99 and she does a lot of forward planning for their family holidays!

polo99, As said above, don't rely on the satnav, and have a print out of a map from the internet. If you do use the satnav, have a look at the route on viamichelin.com or google maps and then firmly tell the satnav the way you want to go. There is a big "Centre commerciale" as you come to albertville - it's on the left, a few miles after the toll booth, and after you've gone under a slightly odd bridge (though of course you'll be driving on the right so you need to take exit right off the dual carriageway, and then go under the road). It's called "Centre Les 4 Vallees, Albertville Chiriac" and your satnav can probably find it. Then re-set the satnav for La Tania and make sure you've asked it, for both legs of the journey, for the fastest route - you are quite likely to end up being sent up some snowy lane, otherwise (it's happened to several people who I've told not to use satnav and who have ignored me Twisted Evil ). You can get all your shopping there and there's a good, and cheap, cafeteria if you need a snack at that point.

From Lyon follow signposts to Chambery and Albertville, and from Albertville follow signs to the TARENTAISE. As you get closer (the road to Moutiers is a fast dual carriageway, no problems) you'll need to distinguish between the Tarentaise (3 Valleys etc) and the Haute Tarentaise, which is the Espace Killy, which you don't want.

Then as you get closer you'll start picking up signs to the actual place you want - climbing up out of Moutiers. That all sounds more complicated than it is, but I know you like to get as many details as possible!

It looks like being quite snowy, which will be great for your holiday but obviously complicates the driving a bit. You presumably won't have snow tyres so it will be essential that you have chains - and do persuade your old man that he should practice putting on the snow chains when you are still in the garage at the airport!! Then if they are the wrong size you will find out sooner rather than later (and yes, it does happen!).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is also a McDonalds (should you want to stand outside and use the free wi-fi) and a big Intersport where you can pick up loads of expensive ski gear you didn't really need

So I'm told Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
Loads of supermarkets in Albertville

Having used all the supermarkets we've settled on using the Carrefour in Moutiers. If anything the prices seemed a wee bit lower than the Albertville Geant and the selection of stuff seemed as good without being overwhelming. One time, we tried the big one at Annecy Nord (on route from Geneva) and fled in terror after putting the few items back. It was just toooooo big! The Moutiers one is easy to find and didnt seem too busy.
snow report
+1 for Carrefour in Moutiers

Search for this in Google maps: Carrefour Market, Rue des Bouleaux, Moûtiers, France

Alternatively, the smaller slightly more expensive (but recently extended) Super U is right beside your route from Moutiers

Search for this in Google maps: Super U, Salins-les-Thermes, France Please note that the 'pin' shown on this Google map is slightly wrong. Super U is immediately beside the main road and on the right hand side of the road out from Moutiers (less than 1 mile).
snow conditions
Yes take the toll roads. E70/A43 to Chambery and on to Albertville, then N90 to Moutiers.

Whenever we've flown into Lyon we use the massive Carrefour in Chambery, theres a huge shopping complex right next to the autoroute.
Its easy to find, as when you hit Chambery on the autoroute the sign posts you are following to Albertville (on E70) eventually peel you off on a slip road as the E70 heads South. As the slip road rejoins the main road heading South just stick in the right hand lane and come off at the next junction and you're at the shopping centre. It's on the left side of the E70, so head over the motorway and turn right into the complex.

If you miss the first junction you will see it on your left so come off the junction after and you can work you're way round the back of it.

Map here: here

There's also a McSmutBurger and Quick Burger on the same car park if that is your bag, or cafe's in the Carrefour building.
snow report
Sorry - not sure why the url isn't working.
snow report
Gazzza, i've taken the libery of changing your google maps url to a link for the Chambery Carrefour.
(Not much help though, as the link to maps from there don't work either Confused )
latest report
thank you all for the advice and instructions, Im going to print that off and use it as I have just come across another technical issue. I cant use google maps on my phone without internet and if I use the internet by the time we got to La Tania we would have racked up a small fortune in data! lol so Its back to paper copies. Micky is the type who likes to follow the satnav, even locally when we know better he likes to go where he is told, I guess I will be doing the telling haha and yes Pam, you are right, I like to go into finite detail so thank you for those details its really appreciated. Good tip about the chains. I was just about to say he knows how to put them on, but that is definitley a good tip to check and make sure they are the right size. Ive got some work ahead of me tomorrow printing out a route and stop offs. Oh my hubby will love me! (not) hahahah

Great help about stop offs and supermarkets thank you all. I will let you know what our journey was like either when we get back or if i can get a wifi signal in our apartment (depends if me and the hubby are divorced by then or not Laughing )

Thats what I love about this forum, people are so helpful. thank you x
snow report
polo99, The roads are fine at the moment and have been for most of the season. The route from Lyon airport is relatively easy, just take the autoroute and follow the signs for Chambery then Albertville then Moutiers then Vallee de Bozel / Courchevel. You shouldn't need a satnav.

The easiest supermarket to access is the Super U in Salins les thermes on the road up to La Tania / Courchevel from Moutiers. It is just on the right hand side of the D915, about 2 minutes after you turn off the N90 at Moutiers. They have just built a new muti storey car park and extended the supermarket so they have loads of choice. There is also a cafe in there now if you fancy a snack.
It is also only 20 minutes from La Tania so not much time for your frozen food to thaw out.
Some of the larger supermarkets in Chambery, Albertville etc. aren't that easy to find your way out of if you have never been there before.
ski holidays
polo99, Go with Mr Marmot and skichampuk on the supermarket - the SuperU at Salins-les-Therms is the easiest on your route, is well-stocked, and also happens to be my local shop
ski holidays
Hi. I'm doing the same trip myself in a few weeks (Sat Feb 15th).

We'll be arriving in La Tania early afternoon. Do the roads up into the resort get busy on changeover days ?

Cheers, Ian
snow report
Yes, it will take about 6hours from Lyon to the three valleys on the 15th.
snow report
Hi Filthyphil30k, thanks for your quick reply.

Wow, 6 hours for 112 miles !

Which stretches of the journey get snarled up with traffic ?

Do you know what time of day the traffic starts to getting busy on a Saturday ?

Thanks v much.
ski holidays
piddi, I left Lyon at 10.00 in the morning.

Traffic was heavy most the way , with tolls being a mahout hold up.

Traffic calming another problem, with one tunnel down to one lane, and the red light at moutiers.

I only stooped for fuel.
snow conditions
Major hold up.
ski holidays
That was on 28th of December , which is the other peak week, and there were no hold ups on the hill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Do you know what time of day the traffic starts to getting busy on a Saturday ?

The routes into resort are generally very busy from about 9 o'clock (possibly earlier) until late afternoon. If you want to avoid doing the whole journey in a traffic jam you need either to get up very early or wait until the evening, when things will have calmed down. It will probably be the busiest day of the year with Paris traffic too, and if some snow is thrown into the mix......

leaving the resort, equally, you need either to be out very early (before 7 at the very latest, preferably earlier) or ski all day Saturday and leave late. At New Year I noticed more people than I'd seen before heading down from the mountains on the Friday night.
ski holidays
Hi all,
This is my first time on the forum. We are heading to La Tania in Feb 2015. We have managed to avoid the week starting the 14th his trip so I am hoping things will be easier. We were in La Tania in 1012 for the crazy week and while the lifts were often busy I have to say we didn't queue for anything. On that trip we flew into Geneva and got transfers from there. However this time I am looking at flying to Lyon and driving from there (our trip is 7th to 14th of Feb).
Would any of those, who have done both trips, recommend one drive over the other. I recall the trip from Geneva being reasonably twisty and turny and on the map the drive from Lyon looks fairly straight. However I would really appreciate any input.
Cheers
Dubai Desert Fox
ski holidays
desertfox, welcome to snowheads. snowHead It doesn't make a lot of difference. There are a couple of routes from Geneva - the motorway probably quickest, but also boring and you pay tolls. Or along the lakeside at Annecy.

The twisty turny bit is only the last section, really, and that's the same for all routes.

Lyon St Exupery?

I'd go with the cheapest flights, really. One point, though, is that if you rent a car on the international (Swiss) side of Geneva airport you will get snow tyres which will be well worth it if, as you hope, there's lots of fresh snow around. They often mean you don't need to use chains.

That week should be quieter than the UK half term but it's French school hols so you can expect the roads to be busy. I think the Lyon area is included in the areas on holiday that week but I don't know enough about the traffic implications of that to suggest that Geneva might be better. Somebody who regularly uses Lyon will probably advise.

If you could go the week before it would be much better........ wink
ski holidays
Thanks Pam W, Yes I'm looking at Lyon St Exupery. I live in Dubai and the direct flights at about €150 cheaper per head. I am just researching rental cars right now and will see if they offer winter tyres as an option. Second week in Feb is our only option right now so we will have to battle the crows for a bit. Thanks for the info.
snow report
I've rented cars at Lyon St Exupery & Geneva many times for visits to the Three valleys. Massive selection of vehicles at Lyon in comparison to Geneva (even including both French & Swiss sides) and somewhat cheaper. All the main rental outlets are reached by free bus shuttle at Lyon. Driving times (we always make it in under 2.5 hours) and toll costs are very similar from both airports. No major traffic problems, but I have only ever driven 2 or 3rd week in January or 2nd or 3rd week in March. Never had to use to use snow-chains (but we only drive up to 600m altitude). Couldn't tell you if any of the vehicles had winter tyres!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy