Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term ski deals Single Mum & 7 yr old novice&intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
It's not true to say that only the high altitude resorts are open till easter. Les saisies, which tops out at just below 2000m closes on 25 April, and is about the same time every year. Only once in the last 12 years has it closed a weej early, and that was 2011 when much of the French Alps was closing early, even much higher places. And last year in April, of course it was terrific, as there was so much snow everywhere. To book a mid April holiday now you would be wise to "aim high" but if booking at the last minute, when you know the snow conditions, you could have a huge range of choice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alyefs, mine is just turned 9 now, no we rarely go there these days as "there's no off piste" rolling eyes Laughing He's done 15 weeks now and is quite handy for his age, not interested in racing (though he did have a go) and so only really goes there now if he's invited to a party Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I think the latter.....check out the snow conditions nearer the time. The added complication of last minute half term are the extortionate flight costs. No flight inclusive deals left. Easy Jet is coming up with £700 for us both! Laughable....I wan to ski...but I ain't that desperate. Such a silly business this half term chaos....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, lucky boy Smile Great experience for him
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alyefs, is that £700 each or £700 for both of you?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, oh £700 for both....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alyefs, to be fair that's not that bad at all for half term, we drive now but our last peak week flights (last New Year) were around £900 for the three of us.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, but when you add that on to minimum a thousand for catered accom....it isn't affordable, for us. Skis. Lessons and passes on top too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hadn't finished adding baggage and seat booking...more insurance.sarah,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alyefs, I know! I'm not saying it's cheap, just that as flight prices go they're not all that bad Laughing It's an expensive business, especially school holiday weeks. If you can get a TO deal with most things included so much the better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alyefs, Easter flights are cheaper than half term but pretty expensive now (we booked for my daughter and family some time ago and they weren't cheap even then although they didn't have to travel on peak days). The UCPA deal looks a good one because it's so all-inclusive - I doubt very much if you'd get anything cheaper and the UCPA instructors will find decent snow for you because they'll know the resort intimately.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yes cheap...then plus flights. It's a low resort. I think I mentioned a few messages back my son will want to play in snow...as well as ski...seeing as for him...it's a first snow holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, well....if it isn't meant to be it isn't. We still can't book in advance for next year. Bit of pain...but it is what is it is Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alyefs, good luck with it all snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, Very Happy
snow report
When you say 'play in the snow' what do you mean? Sledging or general frolicking in white fluffy stuff? Just that even in the depths of winter there isn't really much nice soft snow to play around in resorts. You can go sledging sure, but you'd need a recent snowfall to be able to make a snowman or anything which isn't guaranteed even in Feb.

I don't really see what the problem is or why this has needed 2 threads over many pages. Either book now for April somewhere high (L2A, ValT, Tignes) or wait until a few days before half term and try and get a last min thing.

You can't have it all - peak weeks, cheap, best resort. You need to make some kind of compromise. It's not rocket science, all you're doing is booking a ski holiday.
snow report
kat.ryb, yep....sure thing. That's probably the way we're looking at I too. Not rocket science for some. But my circumstances aren't that simple. Which is why I've come for here for advice Very Happy
There's been some really great advice, and private messages from some lovely people. The other thread isn't used. As I mentioned much earlier in this one...I hadn't a clue how to find it otherwise I would have carried on there. Doh how dizzy am I!
Thanks for your advice too...all helps. I'm not too bothered about snowmen...I think someone else mentioned those? It's a personal thing...you know, what my son wants from his holiday too. Rather than spend on an uncertainty or something I've doubts about (seeing as it's the first holiday alone with my son since a very nasty divorce 4 yrs ago - extra wobbly!) I'd rather put the money towards something I'm more confident about next year if necessary.
Easy for some...not for us. Will get easier I'm sure.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
If you could get half term flights from Manchester (or London) to Geneva on the date/time of your choice for GBP150 (each) would that tip the balance?

If so pm me. Its not a fiddle, nor a scam, just a bit of knowledge about how the airline booking engines work...
ski holidays
snowdave, possibly so Dave...a few things depending on it. But we'd need to stay somewhere the night before. What did you have in mind? I'll PM you...so you could reply there.
snow report
Here you go. Job done
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2457885#2457885
snow report
holidayloverxx, I've message them....see what they come back with! Depends where they're flying from too. But sounds good inc flights too!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, the post reads inc flights. They're not. So it's 1k for both plus all the flights, hire & passes. I've already seen deals for fully caterered chalet for £800 for us both.
snow report
alyefs, yes I read it as including flights. Badly worded then...
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, yes badly worded. I've messaged them....hey ho. But thanks ever so much for checking. Very kind!
We don't care much about the accommodation and food...I want the organised option so we have at least a contact if my son is ill or injured...or if I am for that matter. I know people's opinions of chalet reps and hosts...hell, I was one...but it would at least be a contact.
We might be able to fly from London making it marginally more affordable. Meaning driving down the night before. Leaving the car at friends. All a bloomin hassle.
snow report
holidayloverxx, they've removed the post now!
ski holidays
alyefs, well, they have edited it so that it is clear
latest report
holidayloverxx, yep. Must have been editing when I checked, hence not visible. It's still a fab deal if there were 4 people. 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't know anyone who'd come though. Never mind. Thanks again.
ski holidays
Quote:

All a bloomin hassle

if you're after a "no hassle" holiday skiing at half term isn't it. Indeed, skiing with small kids at any time of year isn't it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, out of context Pam. Bit unfair. The driving to London bit would be a hassle. Thanks for the advice. I consider trips or any activity with my son a blessing.
snow conditions
Quote:

Bit unfair

no, don't think so. You have explained why your criteria for this holiday are so exacting - fair enough, but you seem to be looking for advance guarantees that all, including snow cover, will be well, and at a very reasonable price. That really can't be done - skiing is a high risk holiday; a poster on another thread mentioned that an entire week had been ruined by very high winds and temperatures of -15 and below which had made it impossible to take his kids out onto the slopes in L2A, which are very exposed. I have had some weeks when it rained just about every day. Sometimes days of miserable fog and flat light make life difficult. In a hotel with lots of alternative activities, nice swimming pools, kids clubs etc, not being able to ski might not be a problem. But you don't get that sort of facility on a low-budget holiday.
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
When you say 'play in the snow' what do you mean? Sledging or general frolicking in white fluffy stuff? Just that even in the depths of winter there isn't really much nice soft snow to play around in resorts. You can go sledging sure, but you'd need a recent snowfall to be able to make a snowman or anything which isn't guaranteed even in Feb.

I don't really see what the problem is or why this has needed 2 threads over many pages. Either book now for April somewhere high (L2A, ValT, Tignes) or wait until a few days before half term and try and get a last min thing.

You can't have it all - peak weeks, cheap, best resort. You need to make some kind of compromise. It's not rocket science, all you're doing is booking a ski holiday.

Ok, I'm lazy....... +1 Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, A different topic to the 'hassle driving' topic. No problem. Quoting small sections of text and applying them to the whole topic is a little odd. But not to worry. Yes that right, we'd rather not go at Easter. As I've posted previously...be better to wait til next year. I also posted we don't want kids clubs...nor have I mentioned wanting a swimming pool. We don't really want that particularly. If paying for a ski holiday...we'd be skiing and playing in snow. But thanks all the same.

There's lots of really help advice here...and so am in email contact with some. Which is great. I'll call into to the travel agents the week before too. We've got everything we'd need to take.

Determined to remain optimistic Smile
latest report
igLou, what did you need to know? Think I answered that one further up the page.
latest report
alyefs, I have read this thread and you seem to be asking the impossible. Lots and lots of help and advice has been given (following the criteria you yourself have mentioned), some from people in your situation. If you want to go skiing with your son then go for it. You say this is your first ski holiday and asked for advice. You got it, lots of it. April is what most people have suggested but you are dismissing all that advice too. If I was bringing a 7 year old to the mountains for the first time, then I would say that April is perfect (somewhere like Avoriaz maybe, just a thought) and nearer the time you can go for a last minute booking perhaps.
snow conditions
Hey I gave you my number, you could have called. Pam w is one of the best on here and knows her stuff. I'm really not sure how much help you think a rep would be if the worst happened. Most of them are very young! Your insurance covers all of that. As I said on email... Don't tell your son, keep looking right up to the day before and book or not book if you get lucky he'll have the most awesome surprise if not he won't be disappointed. As I said, I'm s single parent widow, you have to toughen up if you want to survive and set an example of strong women for your kids. It is only France/Europe and in general they are way better at emergencies than us Brits. I did diy first time last year for 2 adults and 3 kids, I did everything including some driving to Grenoble and some pick ups from some flying, child with broken hand, animosity from boyfriends ex, 2 non skiers and one who is a total stress head in a place I'd never been to. Take the plunge! What is the worst that can happen? Nothing different to if a rep was there if something happened in the day, the reps will all be out skiing or boarding anyway. You have to get past this or you'll spend the whole holiday in a stress. Like I said, buy a £5 bum board to take with you and you'll have a blast. Wait a year? I can't see what you'll gain if you can run to 2k now then why not go this half term? Prices are unlikely to get cheaper than a really last minute beak this year. I wish you luck and a little courage.
snow report
igLou, I haven't dismissed anything that I consider manageable. Do you have children? I've expressed sincere thanks gratitude all the way through. People have relied with advice, I've replied with thanks and appreciation. I'm aware there's lots of advice. People have been great! Smile

I'm not into quoting much....but yes, I've already said previously I'm happy to wait for last minute. Thanks for your help Very Happy
snow report
jellybabe, I know....and Thankyou. I hadn't wanted to bother you over the weekend. I appreciate pam w, advice too. Believe me the last thing I want to do is get anyone's back up. Doesn't feel nice. I'm really happy with everyone's help and advice. Plenty to go on. I don't have courage...and am really nervous about it. Yep. Nervous nelly. I haven't dismissed anyone's advice...and really appreciative. We can't run to 2k and we can't book a year in advance as I don't know how long my dog will live for. At the moment he's in good health. He has cancer. We have to take things and make decisions a month or so at a time.

No worries....I'll just keep looking Very Happy
ski holidays
Hey my husband died of cancer, a month at a time is great, we spent 8 months living a day at a time when my daughter was 9/10 he lived just 8 months and 2 days from diagnosis, we first skied 5 months later booking the night before. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but if you can afford to ski, want to ski, then take the advice and book a ski holiday. If you can't book a year in advance, can't do diy, can't take kid out of school then you are not going to get cheaper than looking the day before, picking from what is left and going whether that is half term or Easter the same applies. What if the dog lives a year? Dies while you are away? How long can you put your life on hold for a dog? Values? Either you want to do it or you don't. I'd say man up but what I mean is woman up! Sorry, I've never posted a frumpy post on here before, but you reckon you are a red run skier, no need for lessons etc so how come you can't face up to booking a holiday?
snow report
alyefs, yes I have children. And a poorly dog for that matter.

Reading between the lines, I'm not sure that you really, really want to go.
snow conditions
igLou, ok....out it this way...I had the chance of free accommodation on my own...with a friend. No room for my son...his father won't have him for a few days over half term....hence I can't go. So am pulling out all the stops so we can both go, and making sure it's going to be suitable for us both. So....yes I'd quite like to go!

Aside from this...and the posts and replies. I've my eye on a couple of deals at the moment. Which is great.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy