Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term ski deals Single Mum & 7 yr old novice&intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
UCPA trips are great, very friendly, a fun, young vibe.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feef, it's quite late on...but looks good. Transfers are pricey...whole deal for 2 of us works out at £1300 before flights. That's kit, food, transfers, passes, lessons and insurance. Although accommodation seems a little basic but hey.....it's the experience that counts.
I've no clue about flights to and from Turin. Easter too....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flights are horrendous....bumps up the whole package to the same as a more upmarket deal like Club Med...
Hey ho!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
UCPA's generally have a good reputation on here and I see this:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75325
"Serre Che is the best centre I've been to for comfort and facilities. Also a fantastic location, only a 20m skate to a 4 man chair."

I've been to SC donkeys years ago. I didn't see it at it's best and haven't been back since. But I am sure it would work pretty well for you. Again, in general most seem to like it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne, is it high enough for Easter 12th April would you say? What was it like when you went there? I realise it was a long time ago...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went iN February. We didn't have any fresh snow as I recall, and it was quite warm and sunny. Lower down was quite slushy, upper pistes were fine. I suspect like most resorts they have a lot more snow cannons now. There will be plenty of skiing. Ideally though you would either be booking somewhere like Tignes or Val T or booking late. However, recently I have gone to Les Coches in the infamous April 2011 and La Norma when it was very warm. In both cases we got by no probs as we had kids of 4-7 years old and only needed a reasonable amount of piste skiing. Personally if I wanted to get everything sorted I would be quite happy to go with the UCPA thing at SC.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm.....now looking at Chalets Direct...seems to be a fee deals coming up there. One for La Rosiere...works out at about £1400 before flights! But that is with skis kit at £50 each plus £170 for a pass (thought that seemed high?)

But flights thru Sky Scanner are looking silly too. DIY next time me thinks...although junior will want bury me under the patio if he has spend ever night in my company!

Most hotels mentioned by people here are booked up. Or there's no flights available to the destinations. It ain't looking good! Hopefully Easter holiday will be a bit earlier next year...I haven't checked out that option. Shame to not be able to take off...

Be great to team up with another small family...meet up a couple of times and share the costs of hiring somewhere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alyefs, Don't discount Easter totally, sure the lower resorts will be shut but you'll have no problem in some of higher ones like Les 2 Alpes or Val Thorens both of which are open till the end of April. We've (single dad and 2 kids) been to L2A the last two Easters and it has been great. Last year everything was open down to the valley floor, 2 years ago everything from the top of the first lifts out of the valley was open (and from what you say I'd guess you'd be spending most of the time up the mountain as the bulk of not quite beginner runs are up high. Both years we have had fresh snow mid week and in general the weather is much better.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davkt, hi there, thanks for the additional info re Easter. I've had so many mixed reviews about the Easter holiday option. But the ones that are most off putting refer to the snow becoming slushy from early afternoon on the lower slopes even in the higher resorts. That wouldn't bode well with junior...I know if he thinks he's going to the snow...he wants the white stuff. Selling him the purely skiing concept won't wash. For me....the risk is too great. I'd rather leave it for another year. The way things are going I expect that's what we will end up doing anyway. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alyefs, there are some Serre Chevalier experts here, including Hells Bells who has an apartment there and will give you accurate advice as to the range of late-season conditions you might experience if you do the UCPA family week (which looks a great idea to me). If you send a PM I'm sure you'll get helpful advice. You can't rely on reports from someone who just went once in April - you need someone with a good few years experience.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alyefs, it's still way to early for last minute deals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alyefs, Well with L2A when you are the top you are over a mile higher than the resort at over 3400m (oh and ski back down from the top to valley which can be done on some pretty easy blues and greens and you've skied the biggest continuous lift served drop on piste there is on the planet!) it is easy to avoid the slushy stuff, just go high. While with most resorts the easy slopes are low down so do thaw out in the afternoon the opposite is true with L2A and loads of the easier slopes (I'd guess well within juniors capabilities if he has had a few lessons already) are right at the top!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alyefs, it seems you are asking for the holy grail! For half term at three weeks before then something has to give, you can't have it cheap and have a great choice. Sorry if I am stating the obvious. There are deals about but you can't be too fussy. And as ansta1 says for a real last minute deal you need to be all set and be ready to grab it in the 2-4 days or so leading up to the departure day, even the day before. So by then you will be looking at TO leftovers or last minute cancellations but you should get a deal. The problem with DIY at this stage is that the flight prices are through the roof and have been for months. For DIY on peak weeks you need to book the flights as soon as they are released or else drive. So your best bet now is TO as you need the flight bundled infor it to be economical.

Re. Easter, pick your resort well and go for it. There may be slush but it is the white stuff and your son, at 7 and a beginner, is not such a snow connoisseur that he will know any different! FWIW Easter is a great time for a beginner to learn. And we have had great snow at Easter before, fresh powder and sunny days snowHead

I really think you will get there with this, don't write it off but just review your expectations a bit.

Or what about the family bash if it goes ahead? snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hear ya....re Easter. All those who've commented on it you're absolutely right. It is worth pointing out that whilst my son hasn't skied in a resort before...he happily zips up and down Chill Factore, which is considered a blue or easy red. With regard to slopes being fine higher up...yep...I agree too, from a totally skiing point of view. I guess I was referring to snow at the bottom in resort. I know that the little guy really loves to play in snow too. Be a shame to not have that...especially if he thinks he's going on snow holiday. We haven't been away in quite some time due to circumstances. To be honest I shouldn't be thinking about now.

I've contacted quite a few TOs...and whilst they have spaces albeit extortionate....not one has one a) with a flight...and then b) with a Manchester or Liverpool flight. We've no chance of getting to another airport.

I'm in comms with one company, and there maybe an opportunity to exchange some professional skills for a price reduction. Being a vegetarian consultant and ex chalet/yacht chef I maybe of some use! Will see how that goes!

If we have to wait then so be it. Certainly don't want to botch the job and then be in the same position next year.

Have to say though...the advice and help...and kindness from everyone is brilliant! Thankyou you Smile

Family bash? To my knowledge there isn't one...is there?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alyefs, I'd take Chille Factore's claim of hard blue/easy red with a pinch of salt! Maybe in some small east European resort and maybe if it was as steep as the top bit but by L2A standards its an easy blue!
snow report
alyefs, family bash is still on I think, no buttons yet but nothing to suggest it won't happen. Fair comment re.snow, youmight not get snowman building in resort at Easter, depends where. CFe is proper blue at the top but green at the bottom, sorry I read '7 year old novice' and thought he was a beginner.
latest report
sarah, thanks Sarah.... I put novice, meaning he's no expert...but neither am I. I realise it's a green at the bottom. At the end of the day he'll do what ever he can do...green, blue, sky blue pink Smile I remember reds feeling like blacks, and then reds that were more like greens! Depending on width, bumps and all kinds. But hey, I'm no expert either.

I need to make sure he enjoys it enough to want to come back. My boy is 7 and is pretty stuck with me for the duration. So if I want to get going for years to come....he basically needs to get on with it too Smile The ex isn't and never was into skiing, despite being able to. Aside from that I don't have any time without my son to grab even a long weekend...so we need to get it right.
ski holidays
alyefs, if he is anything like my daughter (same age) this will come from not just the snow & skiing but from having fun in kids clubs. My daughter loves them both.
snow report
NickyJ, yep....you're probably right! Currently kids clubs aren't on the cards. But the half day ski lessons he'd like...he says. Then wants to spend time skiing with me. We can't afford kids clubs as an additional and currently aren't on our search criteria... Just to be around other kids for part of the time is perfect.
ski holidays
alyefs, fair enough. I offered my eldest the option of all day lesson or half day and half day kids club and she wanted to do the half day option as she didn't want to miss out on the kids club. However they are all different and she is very social.
snow report
NickyJ, I guess if were in a financial position to choose then it would be a different matter. But I'd rather ski in the morning at the same time as him...then play in the afternoon if he doesn't fancy skiing for all of it. Always kids about playing. We like spending time together....but I know he needs some company with other children...and I with adults. 50/50.
snow conditions
Quote:

Hmmmm....just received this from Outdoor Activities!

Let me know what you think guys...only flights to find!

http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/familyweek

The price of that deal is tempting but still flights and don't forget transfers to be found. Serre Chevalier quite a good area but well south and tends to be sunny. That's great in a good snow year but mid April is risky IMO. My past experience suggests that week of 12 April, just prior to the main Easter week, should have plenty late availability at discount prices.
ski holidays
intermediate, thanks....I've already pretty much ruled out mid April...unless a really high resort. So many different opinions here it's hard to keep track. But incredibly useful all the same.
If it wasn't for poorly dog with cancer and unpredictable health forecast we could book well in advance for next year. Hey ho....accept and move on Smile
snow conditions
Anyone heard of Small Wonders? They've just got back to me on Chalets Direct...Tignes, £800 half board catered chalet for us both...200m from slopes. Can arrange lessons, passes, hire at the chalet. Obviously would need to look at flights and transfers too.
latest report
It's in Les Brevieres....also says there is a 2 for 1 lift pass. French company too....we love French people Smile
snow conditions
If you really want to go at this late stage I would try a different tactic.

Where ever you go with a British TO there will be lots of kids around at half term. I would get all your gear together and wait to book till the week before, go into one of the high street travel agents and see what they have got, it may be a chalet, a hotel or self catering. You will meet other families on the coach or at the welcome meeting and your son will have a ball whatever the snow conditions. To make this work for you as a newbie just make sure you book everything you need at the time of booking through the travel agent, ski hire, lessons, lift pass etc.

Good luck and get it sorted, you wont regret it. Very Happy
snow conditions
landlockedpirate, happy to get packed and ready to go...but if we don't get skiing....I guess we always have the VDub to fall back on some where UK! Bbbrrrrr!
K9 to sort too. Will check with the potential sitter will accept a willhewonthe scenario Smile

The boy won't do coach.
ski holidays
Quote:

ski back down from the top to valley which can be done on some pretty easy blues and greens

Not too sure about that. Where's the blue? There's a black (Valentin) that long snaky race-tracky icy green (demoiselles?) and a red up the other end which has had very poor snow up to now, according to Claude B who has been there for weeks and knows the resort well.

I do agree that L2A would be an excellent choice for an April holiday but with a 7 year old I'd be choosing to download in a lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and I agree with the judgement above about Chill Factor - easier than any of the blues in L2A, I'd say. Mostly unpisted and quite challenging the last few days, especially in poor vis (you don't get that in a snowdome).
latest report
pam w, thanks for the heads up
snow report
alyefs wrote:
landlockedpirate,

The boy won't do coach.

Like his style, get them trained young Very Happy
snow conditions
That's ok re L2A and Chill Factore.
The key is, to remain positive about what we want and undeterred. If it doesn't happen this season then so be it.
snow conditions
landlockedpirate, he's a dude...truly! But we do love spending time together. I know that won't last forever Smile
He can be a grumpy bug and the coach trip send him to the dark side Wink
ski holidays
alyefs, I think Easter would be a good bet, especially given your skiing abilities.

Chances are you'll have a lot more sun, which makes progression on your technique a lot easier, not having to contend with weather or crowds, and will be cheaper.

Like my cousin tells me, get a plan, then get a back up plan.

Pack your bags, if you happen across a screaming half term deal take it, otherwise, go at Easter. Southern Alps will still have plenty of snow, and loads of sunshine.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
and I agree with the judgement above about Chill Factor - easier than any of the blues in L2A, I'd say. Mostly unpisted and quite challenging the last few days, especially in poor vis (you don't get that in a snowdome).

pam w just wondered if you'd ever been to Chill Factor?
ski holidays
sarah, yes, but a long time ago - I was very beginnerish and having a lesson and don't remember it being particularly difficult - and in poor conditions this week I found some of those L2A blues quite challenging. I certainly wouldn't expect a child who had only skied in a snowdome to cope with L2A blues, except in perfect conditions, without lessons - let alone the reds. The blues (eg Thuit) seemed quite steep in places, there was masses of unpisted snow on it and very flat light. The transition from indoors to a real mountain can be quite a step, I think.

I have had some good times in L2A but it's not an "easy" resort especially as such a lot of it is so high - bleak and windswept with no sheltered lower tree-lined options But good for late season!
snow report
pam w, I agree with you about LDA, not high up on my list of resorts to return to. Just a very odd resort I found.

Of all the UK snowdomes CFe is the steepest, top section is properly blue easing off towards the bottom.

alyefs, keep at it snowHead
ski holidays
I learned to ski in Courchevel 1850.... Was there for 5 months. Skied appx 5 hours daily from when I got the hang of it in the first couple of weeks. For what it's worth I think CF is bang on the money. We've been a lot this year and last...so he had lessons...then started coming with me regularly. There's days when it's half ice, or completely churned up and full up bumps....nothing easy about that...IMHO

The transition from my dry slope to snow was a complete abomination. But I think CF to snow will be ok. Kids are fearless too most of the time.
latest report
alyefs, I agree, CFe can be in a real state at times. It's a few years ago now but my lad learned to ski there as a tot and it stood him in good stead snowHead
snow report
sarah, how old is yours Sarah? Do you go there a lot? I'm hoping to get my boy to Shred club next weekend...Saturday 5 pm....I'll just get a pass..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy