Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold Feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I get cold toes. I've got some lovely merino socks which still don't keep my tootsies toasty!
I was thinking I could wear a pair of thin socks over/under the ski socks, does anyone see any problems with this? Or is there another way to stop my toes from freezing? I try to keep the core warm, and my fingers don't suffer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They might cause a pressure point with bundling up when you move, hard to say. Is it due to bad circulation or bad fitting/tight boots as a cause i wonder?
I have bad circulation in my hands and feet, generally ok but can get cold toes on the real cold days. I tried putting a space blanket material round the toebox once but it didnt seem to make much difference. You can get heated footbeds but they are not cheap!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only about £70 but its possibly masking a problem rather than solving it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heated footbeds certainly help. Nothing wrong with the fit of my boots, or my circulation, but my toes still get cold.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been back to the boot fitters and tbh, there doesn't seem anything wrong with my boots so maybe bad circulation. I've got custom footbeds already so don't really want heated footbeds.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gixxerniknik, you can keep your custom footbeds in place.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gixxerniknik, very effective and not heated is the boot glove. Keeps the snow off the boot, prevents snow melting and turning into wet feet/toes, and cheaper than heated footbeds. Or make some yourself from leftover bits of wetsuit and some bungee. Saw some in Ski Bartlett a few months ago, I'm sure they'll have them if you call.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to suffer a lot until I found out (someone told me) that if you have the second buckle up too tight it restricts an artery to your toes and cuts your circulation, now I have that buckle slightly looser and toes are much better, that said ever since I got frost nip in Italy my toes have never been the same. I would shy away from doubling socks as again you are masking the problem as most ski boots have a lot of insulation built in, if your boots are already quite tight I'd try one pair of thinner socks. All of this assumes you are in Europe and not knee deep in super cool Canadian powder where heated footbeds are possibly the answer!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I first thought it may be due to dampness getting in but after a day's skiing my socks are dry. I normally ski in France but am off to Canada for 2 weeks on Saturday. (Can't wait!)

millerzone
Due you mean the second buckle from the toes or from the top of the boot?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gixxerniknik,

If you are off to Canada I would seriously consider getting boot heaters. Although the weather is mild at the moment; you are spending a lot of money on your trip and I think its worth the investment. Cold is a whole different ball game here; I never had heaters before I moved here; but serious pain upon defrosting and the need to come in frequently prompted me to get some.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
millerzone wrote:
I used to suffer a lot until I found out (someone told me) that if you have the second buckle up too tight it restricts an artery to your toes and cuts your circulation

i believe that you need to have some air in the boot to promote better thermal isolation. i was told that one good sock is better than 2 socks as well as one good glove is better than 2 gloves worn on top of each other. that wearing a thinner sock underneath as well as having the second buckle up too tight leave not enough room for air and make it worse for the thermal isolation.

in any case, i clearly saw the effect of not having the first buckle too tight at some -30C weather.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gryphea
Looks like boot heaters are the answer then. I'll have a couple of hours in Calgary airport before the last member of our party touches down so maybe I can source a pair there or first stop Fernie.
It does look like there's enough snow about, but no fresh powder forecast?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gixxerniknik, first thing to check is when you take your boots off is there any pressure marks on top of your instep, even the slightest compression there might restrict the blood flow and cause cold toes... if not that then the heated footbeds are a great way forward, they are not designed to make your feet hot, more to stop them getting cold you can get them as an element /battery combo which can be installed on most custom footbeds, best to get whoever is selling them to you to fit them, if nothing else when it all goes wrong they can fix it wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gixxerniknik,

Doesn't look like it in terms of snow, but the long term forecast is quite mild. BUT its the mountains and especially in Fernie things can change quickly. Was at Fernie 10 days ago. The sat was not good as it poured with rain; but the sunday was good. Where else are you going? A couple fo cms fresh in Calgary last night.

Boot heaters- you won't get any at Calgary airport and you need to fit them, which is quite easy but takes a bit and you need kit, duct tape and a Stanley knife I think. Shops in Calgary will want to take your boots to fit them.

If you can't get any then Fernie may have some, or get boot gloves and maybe use toe warmers on cold days (those are the teabags, but special flat ones for feet (they go above the sock on the toes, but if you have tight boots there, you won't get them on)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Disposable toe-warmers? Like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Hotties-Adhesive-Toe-Warmers-10-Pairs-/251382271701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a878d0ed5

I tried them in colorado and they did help (though didn't really last a full day).
ski holidays
gryphea
Fernie for 6 days including a cat ski, then Kicking Horse to scare me silly with a heli ski, then a nice gentle 4 days at Banff. I really hope we can get some powder in, but it'll be what it'll be I guess. as long as it doesn't rain!
ski holidays
I used to suffer from this immensely, for me it was defiantly boots too tight.

I had tried several pairs of socks and all the usual things but now I just have the 2 clips over the toes quite loose and wear very thin socks and havent suffered from cold feet for years.

Also make sure you unclip your boots on every lift and let the blood circulate properly
snow report
I just use the disposable ones, found mycoal ones last pretty much all day
snow report
You mentioned that you wear merino socks. I have some and found they wick away any moisture from my feet....into the inside of the boot! I had dry (but cold) feet and when removing the inner boot found moisture on that. Same with my son and his merino socks, also cold feet.

Now dont use the merino socks anymore, feet are warmer!

Simone
snow conditions
Totally agree Boot Heaters are the only way to go. I suffer from Raynauds and used to get very cold toes. I use the heaters with custom food beds no problem, only slight downside is the battery pack, needs to be clipped to outside of boot. I've used my Hotronic heaters for 4 seasons now and not suffered from cold toes since, previously used disposable teabags, helped but still suffered when very cold.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy