Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GB Olympic squad

Poster: A snowHead
The GB Olympic squad has been announced

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25820363

Chemmy is included and Dave Ryding but no other Alpine skiers Puzzled Puzzled

Emily Sarsfield must also be rather pixxed off
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
genuinely shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
genuinely shocked

I am not surprised at all.

BSS only has 147 beds allocated and after all the 'officials' there are only 2 left for skiers wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, Laughing Laughing on a serious note it is a really sad state of affairs that officials are more important than athletes! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
stewart woodward, Laughing Laughing on a serious note it is a really sad state of affairs that officials are more important than athletes! Evil or Very Mad

behind every great person there is a team of hangers on.......

General fitness coach
Technical Coach
Mental Coach
Physio
Tech prep boys n girls
dietitian
leg waxer
make up artist
hairdresser

to name a few, they're all important to an athletes success don't ya know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1, if only that were the case, sadly for the skiers of team GB they are lucky to get a technician and if they are incredibly lucky one other, years ago one of the British ski team almost caused a hotel in Wengen to burn down, he'd been waxing his skis in the basement the evening before the race and was so tired he left the iron on, fortunately a late returning guest smelt something and no damage occured, a few years ago the mens alpine chaps were pooling resources with the Ausies, not sure whats happening these days
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, D G Orf, The Alpine Downhill guys have been without anyone apart from a coach for the past few years. They have been doing all their own skis until late at night for a long while. The only WC team without a Technician! They have just got an Austrian Tech trained by Atomic who has been paid for by a sporting charity. Everything else is paid for by their own funds, sponsorship & donations. There will be a lot of hangers on going to Sochi, who will make not a scrap of difference to the performance of the athletes - as with all major sporting events!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plugboy, I agree it's a disgrace, they'd not ask Sir Ben Ainsley to carry his own boat to such events or any of the other high profile sports stars with lots of kit, but skiers and boarders do seem to get it in the neck, typically travelling around in second hand motors between resorts with very limited support and negligeable funding, how are they ever going to do well against teams who have so much more backup.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After chatting to someone in the know today slightly less shocked for Emily Sarsfield, apparently there are only 32 start places and they have been allocated to the top 32 in WC points listing, she still has a hope should some of those not be able to or elect not to attend. I couldn't understand why GB wouldn't field a single athlete in SkierCross which will be a highly watched sport but from what I heard today it wast BOA but rather limited start places to blame.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
who has a higher medal chance with current states of fitness Chemmy, Dougie or TJ ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
Plugboy skiers and boarders do seem to get it in the neck, typically travelling around in second hand motors between resorts with very limited support and negligeable funding.

sounds pretty average for most skiiers and snowboarders. sponsors rarely pay a wage.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eve Muirhead can polish my parquet whenever she likes. I'll even throw in the Mr Sheen.

Pity she was forced to busk in a pub carpark all summer to pay her way to Sotchi

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know (Plugboy ?) how many places GB are granted for each of the 5 Alpine Disciplines at the Olympics? Did we get any more than one place a la World Cup.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Olympics/04/28/00/quota-list-all-sports-16-10-2013_Neutral.pdf

Think this is it?
But it could be out of date.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Each nation is allocated places depending on the ranking of their athletes on the latest FIS points list. For Freestyle skiing GBR was allocated 6 places and all these have been filled, 2 male HP, 2 female HP, 1 male SS and 1 female SS. There is a limit on how many competitors are allowed in each event.
ski holidays
gryphea's list of quota spots is out of date. The actual one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_skiing_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification
snow conditions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_skiing_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification for alpine quota spot allocation.
snow report
mogulski, the curse of skier cross being a freestyle rather than alpine discipline...
snow report
Invictus, Every nation has a max number of 22 skiers for the alpine events and can put a max of 4 in each discipline. We had 8 men & 7 women that made the IOC 'A' standard, but our quota was 7 skiers in total.

Here is the BSS selection criteria for team GB Alpine.
http://www.teambss.org.uk/media/101015/final%20pub%20-%20alpine%20olympic%20qualify%20standards%20-%20owg14%20-%20sochi%20-%20qualification%20process%20and%20shechule%20.pdf

Here is the FIS Olympics points list with rankings
http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/olympic-fis-points-list.html?sector=AL&listid=2014&seasoncode=&lastname=&gender=&firstname=&nation=GBR&order=Lastname&fiscode=&birthyear=&Search=Search&limit=50

Here is the Olympic quota list
http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/olympic-quotas-list.html?sectorcode=al&listid=2014

As you can see on the points/ranking list TJ was ranked 48th in Super combined & 93rd in Downhill. Dougie was ranked 57th in Downhill & 59th in Super combined.
Chemmy was ranked 85th in Sup G & 109th in Downhill. Dave Ryding was ranked 29th in Slalom.
So both TJ & Dougie are ranked much better than Chemmy, but neither are going - logical isn't it!
snow conditions
BSS look like they did not want to take hardly any Alpine skiers to Sochi.
Out of the 7 allocated spots for Alpine they select 2, - 1 male & 1 female.
Cross Country skiing has 5 allocated slots and they select 4, - 3 male & 1 female.

Here are the FIS Olympic rankings of the cross country skiers -
Andrew Musgrave is 37th in Sprint, 122nd in Distance
Andrew Young is 127th in Sprint, 487th in Distance
Callum Smith is 576th in Sprint, 546th in Distance
Posi Musgrave is 101st in Sprint, 357th in Distance.

There are only 15 GB Cross Country athletes on the FIS world ranking list and 4 are going to Sochi. Thats over 25%!
There are 173 Alpine athletes on the FIS world ranking list and 2 are going to Sochi. That's just over 1%!!

How is it a fair and level playing field to GB skiers to get to the Olympics?
An Alpine skier who is ranked 48th in the world on the Olympic list is not going when 3 Cross Country skiers who are not even in the top 100 & 1 not even top 500 are going.
Are they anymore of a medal prospect then TJ or Dougie? Definitly not!!!

Paddy Mortimer is going to get some serious questions asked!
snow report
Plugboy wrote:
Paddy Mortimer is going to get some serious questions asked!

Do you expect serious answers Puzzled
snow report
If the BOC are only going to only send skiers with a "realistic" chance of bringing home medals, are they not going against the Olympic ideal Puzzled

I am gutted we aren´t sending a male speed racer, TJ and Dougie must be devastated.
Plugboy, my heart literally breaks for you both, so much hard work, time and financial investment and you get a kick in the balls like this, it´s absolutely ludicrous.
snow report
the whole thing sucks

/ that is all
ski holidays
kooky, CEM, + 1 Sad Sad
snow report
+2
latest report
kooky wrote:
If the BOC are only going to only send skiers with a "realistic" chance of bringing home medals, are they not going against the Olympic ideal Puzzled

I am gutted we aren´t sending a male speed racer, TJ and Dougie must be devastated.
Plugboy, my heart literally breaks for you both, so much hard work, time and financial investment and you get a kick in the balls like this, it´s absolutely ludicrous.

+1

not really encouraging for any up and coming youngsters either!!!!!
snow report
Its an absolute disgrace, and as you say no logic to it at all. Both the Nordic and speed teams have been doing great work with little or no public funding and while I think it is a great outcome for the cross country guys I can see no reason at all the BOC hasn't rewarded the Alpine guys even greater success equally.
snow report
Sorry, I know I'm being really slow… What reason did the BOC give for only using 2/7 of the alpine slots? Presumably not a financial one as Plugboy has pointed out they are self-funding through donation and sponsorship. Presumably not to do purely with medal chances as Plugboy has pointed out that the 4/5 cross country skiers are in the same boat. They must have given the guys a reason for their non-selection v selection of the cross country skiers? Or do they just say 'no' without any course of questioning or appeal?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plugboy,

That would be because 4 xc skiers met the BOA Olympic qualification standard (which was much harder than the IOC A standard). How many of the alpine skiers met the BOA Olympic qualification standard? Did Chemmy? How many met the IOC A standard?

And the FIS list on the squad facebook feed:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=592992600773710&set=a.307727442633562.74331.272969302776043&type=1&theater
puts Mussy 29th in the sprint, Posy 95th in the sprint, Callum 466th distance and Andrew Y 115th in the sprint standings. Its also worth noting the numbers actively skiing in xc compared to the alpine events.
ski holidays
miranda,

With xc the BOA set a qualification standard (harder than the IOC A standard) and have taken those athletes that met the BOA qualification standard. Fortunately there were enough quota places for all the xc athletes who met the standard to be awarded places.
latest report
Dave Horsley, thanks, that makes sense…. although why do the BOA set standards much harder than the IOC for athletes that are - so it seems from these threads - pretty much self-funded?
ski holidays
The Eddy the Eagle effect.

As I understand it the BOA want the athletes to have a realistic prospect of coming in the top 1/3 (I think) of the field and the FIS point qualification standard was calculated to that end. Don't ask me how, I was told it was a complicated calculation. We (xc) had one other athlete meet the IOC A standard I think (I haven't checked the FIS list), Fi Hughes has distance FIS points under 100 which meets the IOC qualification standard, but not the BOA standard. A couple of other athletes were close to the A standard with FIS points just over 100.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley Obviously I knew who Eddie Edwards was, but wasn't sure what you meant by the "effect". Wikipedia (so of course might be inaccurate) gives this:

Quote:
The widespread attention that Edwards received in Calgary turned into a large embarrassment for the ski jumping establishment. Many athletes and officials felt that he was "making a mockery" of the sport…

The Eddie "The Eagle" Rule

In response to the Edwards phenomenon, in 1990, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and place in the top 30 percent or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer.
Edwards consequently failed to qualify for the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France and the 1994 Games in Lillehammer, Norway.

Plugboy has said that there were 15 skiers that made the IOC 'A' standard, which I take to mean that the Eddie the Eagle rule had been applied and they passed. Or have I got that wrong? It seems to me that it's pretty harsh to block self-funded athletes who clearly do take the sport seriously, are not making a mockery of it by any stretch of the imagination, and who have passed the IOC standard… Confused

Either way, none of this should take away from the achievements of the xc team, and I wish them all the best and am looking forward to watching them compete on the telly.
snow conditions
The IOC have two standards. The harder A standard and a much easier B standard. The B standard is the minimum standard for countries with no good athletes (in alpine no athletes in the top 500) who are then allowed to send a single male and female athlete who have reached the B standard. Its the standard under which Vanessa Mae is entering. AFAIK Eddie Edwards met the B standard for ski jumping and it was the BOA not the IOC that kept him out of subsequent Olympics.

For xc, 5 athletes made the IOC A standard (I think from looking at the FIS points list issued 21st Jan) and the 4 who were picked made the harder BOA qualification standard.

I don't know about alpine, but if 15 made the IOC A standard then its criminal that more didn't go, but then its down the Alpine committee at the BSS who didn't argue harder with the BOA about the UK qualification standard. Personally I thought the BOA qualification standard set for xc was hard and I don't understand why they didn't just use the IOC A standard and fill the quota places with those athletes who met the A standard and only apply stricter standards if there was more qualified athletes than quota places. Similarly with alpine why do BOA want a harder standard than the IOC A standard?
ski holidays
Dave Horsley wrote:
I don't understand why they didn't just use the IOC A standard and fill the quota places with those athletes who met the A standard and only apply stricter standards if there was more qualified athletes than quota places. Similarly with alpine why do BOA want a harder standard than the IOC A standard?

The only possible reason could be funding, surely? But from what I've understood, everyone's having to self-fund anyway…. Must have been gutting for your 5th athlete to make the A standard and not be allowed to take up that 5th slot.

Maybe I'm missing something but, otherwise, it does seem to be "a kick in the balls" as kooky says; a case of your own country not taking your commitment and proven ability seriously enough to even let you compete, and somewhat going against the spirit of the Olympics.

I'm glad I looked at this thread. I clearly don't know much about the subject and would no doubt have made some unfair assumptions about the ability of our winter athletes otherwise.
snow report
I'm not sure of the funding situation at the Olympics, how much is paid for by BOA and how much is self funded/by the athlete.
snow report
Just saw this on FB………..good luck to her!
Plugboy, you should follow suit, we will have a whip round for the legal fees Wink
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/angry-skicross-athlete-emily-sarsfield-set-to-take-legal-action-after-sochi-omission-9079910.html
latest report
Yesterdays news but worth noting, also mentioned on Talksport 2 days ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/10582993/Winter-Olympics-2014-Chemmy-Alcott-makes-desperate-plea-to-compete-for-Team-GB-in-Sochi.html
ski holidays
Plugboy wrote:

There are only 15 GB Cross Country athletes on the FIS world ranking list and 4 are going to Sochi. Thats over 25%!
There are 173 Alpine athletes on the FIS world ranking list and 2 are going to Sochi. That's just over 1%!!

How is it a fair and level playing field to GB skiers to get to the Olympics?
An Alpine skier who is ranked 48th in the world on the Olympic list is not going when 3 Cross Country skiers who are not even in the top 100 & 1 not even top 500 are going.
Are they anymore of a medal prospect then TJ or Dougie? Definitly not!!!
!

Let me start by saying that I think BOA & BSS are wrong in not sending more Alpine skiers to Sochi but I assume only two met the selection criteria. However having a go at the Cross-Country skiers who are going & implying they had an easier selection isn't helping your case & is in fact wrong. Apologies if you aren't actually saying that. Dave Horsley has explained how the Cross-Country selection worked & how comparing World rankings in the different disciplines is not comparing like with like. The BSS selection criteria was considerably harder that the FIS 'A' criteria. The cross-country skiers did not have an easy criteria & in fact two potential team members just missed out on selection. Cross-country had up to 5 slots at Sochi & if it was up to me I would have sent 5.

What Cross-Country did about 5 years ago was develop performance pathways (largely based on FIS points) for all our athletes which showed where they needed to be in order to stand a chance of a podium finish at a World or Olympic championships when they reached the idealised peak age for cross-country skier - their late 20's. That is why BOA sent 3 young c/c skiers to Vancouver. I believe Andrew Young at 17 was the youngest ever male c/c skier at an Olympics. Callum Smith also qualified for Vancouver but we only had three slots, so he missed out that time but not this time. This "scientific" approach was enough to convince BSS & BOA that cross-country had a serious chance of medalling at a future games.

Although they are unlikely to medal at these Games there is an outside chance. A medal in 2018 is the target.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 24-01-14 0:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I really don't undestand why Emily Sarsfield has been left out, as far as I can see she is higher in the world rankings than everyone who is going!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy