Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP: Smears on inside of Oakley Goggle Lens

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow snowHeads!

I'm looking for some advice or answers on what to do here. I've got some smears on the inside of one my Oakley A-Frame lenses that won't wipe off and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to clean the smears off?

I'm assuming that I won't be able to but just thought I'd ask before I head off to La Ros in a few weeks just in case I need to get a new lens for brighter days.
The lens is still usable, it's just irritating.

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it just grease/sweat/sun cream? I'd probably just wash carefully in a bowl of warm, mildly soapy water then rinse off and leave to air dry for a couple of days.

I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work/is a bad idea, but maybe see if you get any more replies first. Have you looked for cleaning instructions on Oakley's website at all?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try rubbing it vigorously.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet, there is a little information but nothing specific. I've also sent Oakley and email so will wait to see what they say. I'll probably give the lens a wash if they don't suggest anything different though, thanks.

Mr Pieholeo, I've done that with the micro-fiber bag that comes with the goggles, the smears won't budge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are they, in fact, scratches?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No, I've got a couple of scratches on them from general use as I've had them for 5 years and they're definitely different. More foggy. I'm guessing I might have smeared the anti-fog coating or something like that...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lewisb22, did you wipe the inside of the goggle lens when it was wet? If so, then yes you've smeared the anti-fog coating, which, unfortunately cannot be rectified. It happened to me last season and I had to buy a new lens.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero_G, damn it, I think I did! I'll have to get a new one then, any recommendations for a bright light lens? I really liked this one but I'm not sure they make it anymore. Dark Grey is only £30 but wondering if it's actually any good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just give the inside a smear in washing up liquid, swill and dry. washing up liquid has almost the same effect as antifog coating...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay, I'll give that a go after work. I think my mate's Dad might use it for his motorbike helmet
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
his mom probably uses it on the dishes as well Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
haha, you'd hope so wouldn't you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you can also help minor scratches on lenses by rubbing on a little solid wax, ski wax candle wax etc... a little at a time, polishing inbetween. once its built up it should reduce the mark(s)...
more of a temporary fix but can be handy! it also helps with the whole anti fog thing too of course..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lewisb22 wrote:
Zero_G, damn it, I think I did! I'll have to get a new one then, any recommendations for a bright light lens? I really liked this one but I'm not sure they make it anymore. Dark Grey is only £30 but wondering if it's actually any good.

Heard dark grey is a solid lens but if your going to replace the lens you may as well go Iridium (Blue Iridium, Black Iridium, Emerald Iridium, Fire Iridium; they all have slightly different properties but are all usable in bright light conditions, if you go n the oakley site you can find out more information.)

If you shop around you should be able to find an Iridium lens for under 40quid depending on what model you have.
The Iridium lenses are a bit more pricey but they are meant to cut out the glare in sunny conditions, plus they look rather cool.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DuFF, I've been having a look, most A-Frame iridium lenses seem to be £50-60. I'm going to keep searching though.

Plan is to try the washing up liquid trick and then if that doesn't work I'll just buy another lense. I got a HI Yellow lens at Christmas but haven't been able to use it yet so don't know what it's like in the sun. I know it's best for flat/low light conditions though.
latest report
lewisb22, IME the Hi Yellow lens is dreadful in the sun. I've got one and also got a standard yellow and a pink iridium in Oakley and a set of Scott's with their grey, chrome amplifier lens in. All these three out-perform the Hi-Yellow in the sun, in fact if I have the Hi-yellows in for flat light and it even gets marginally brighter I'm better off with one of the others. In fact I find that the Hi yellows are that hopeless in anything other than flat light that I tend to not use them even for that as they cause me so much bother if it brightens. For my money the best lens in low light is the one in the Scott's I have been really disappointed with the Hi Yellow in comparison although it is the lens that everyone raves about for those conditions, and I find it is fine if the sun does come out too. In fact I far prefer the Scott's with the amplifier lense to the Oakleys which is a shame because the Oakleys have more 'pose' value wink
ski holidays
Megamum, I bought the HI yellow's for night skiing too as I'll be doing a fair bit of that in NZ this year. I'm not saying you're wrong but surely it comes down to preference? Lots of people have said in reviews and various other forums that the HI Yellow is a decent all-round lens too... Puzzled
latest report
Oakley A Frames are rubbish/look rubbish. Just get a new set of goggles.
ski holidays
lewisb22, yes, of course it is personal preference and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and being a bit of a 'panic' in flat light I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Hi Yellows. As noted above my personal feeling was one of disappointment esp. given their OTT cost and finding that all the other lenses I had were at least as good if not better in low light. They might well be OK for night skiing - I've not done much of that so can't say, but as noted above I was very unimpressed with their flat light performance compared to the others I had. and I personally found them positively blinding in higher light levels. It made me wonder how many people raving about them hadn't actually got many other lenses to compare them with, but I know they aren't my first choice for low light conditions during the day and for the money I paid I think they should be.
ski holidays
lewisb22 wrote:
DuFF, I've been having a look, most A-Frame iridium lenses seem to be £50-60. I'm going to keep searching though.

Plan is to try the washing up liquid trick and then if that doesn't work I'll just buy another lense. I got a HI Yellow lens at Christmas but haven't been able to use it yet so don't know what it's like in the sun. I know it's best for flat/low light conditions though.

Your right theres no sales now that we are in season :/
At that price it might be best just to buy another par of A frames with the lens you want off ebay, theres a few nice ones on there now after xmas.

If you want another cheap alternative to the dark grey lens, there is the VR28 lens, it's 27 quid on sale at shadestation and is for medium to bright light according to oakley.
snow conditions
Megamum, yeah I understand where you're coming from. My only experience with lenses is with a cheap pair of Decathlon goggles I used in flat light which were okay, but the goggle wasn't very comfortable and to be fussy, didn't look cool wink the Oakley lens that i've smeared is amazing in sunny conditions.

DuFF, I'm probably going to go for the Dark Grey, it's only £25 on sale and seems to look good.

Thanks everyone so far!
latest report
lewisb22, the HI yellow lens is exceptionally good and does what it's designed for, which is flat, low light. I have compared this lens to other low light lenses (from various brands) and it is, by far, my favourite lens for those conditions. However, some people need more yellow and some people need more pink for flat light (depends on your eyes). So, HI persimmon may be more your bag. After the HI yellow, I rate Smith's low light lens as the next best for those conditions.

As a low light lens, the HI yellow is no good in sunny conditions. For sunny days, I use the emerald iridium, which has the lowest light transmission index of all of Oakley's lenses and I can ski the the whole day in bright sunshine without getting red, scratchy eyes.

Personally, I don't find swapping the lenses to be a faff – it takes about a minute and is not difficult.
snow conditions
lewisb22, If you use Hi Yellow in bright sun you will go blind...or at least get very sore eyes
snow conditions
Zero_G, holidayloverxx, thanks for the warning, haven't actually used that lens yet. Yeah, zero, I don't think swapping the lenses is very hard at all which is why I'm happy to have two sets of lenses and swap rather than buy another pair of goggles at at least double the price of a lens. would rather save the money
ski holidays
lewisb22, I'm a complete lens whore, I have three (I have one that sits between the HI yellow and the emerald iridium with regards to light conditions) and while one is in my goggles, I carry the other two in my backpack so that I can change them as the light conditions change.
ski holidays
lewisb22, I found the problem was that if I put the Hi Yellow in for the morning session when it is often dull and flat light, that it could easily brighten later, or indeed once I got 'up top' into the sunshine. I then had a scenario where for part of hill it was probably doing it's job (though for me not as well as some of my others), but wasn't nice in the brighter conditions. I find the Scott amplifier one is top-notch in flat light and still is dark enough if the sun comes out. In fact I don't have a specific sunny lens goggle as if the sun is that strong, then the weather is that nice that I've probably swapped to sunnies anyway which I find are easier to carry, swap to and wear whilst the goggles are on top of my helmet.
snow report
lewisb22, I can also vouch for the emerald iridium (bought on Zero_G's recommendation Very Happy ) but they're not cheap to replace, so I'd probably stick with the grey if you were happy with that one. I split my low light persimmon lens last trip during a fall but opted for the same £25 replacement - hi-yellow or hi-persimmon sounds like a nice idea, but not after I've crashed on my face again Confused
ski holidays
lewisb22, I had a pair of Oakley A Frames and in the sixth year of having them had a similar problem. I sent them back to Oakley who replaced, no questions asked.

They are proud of their name and wish to keep it this way.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1969jma, that's great! I sent off some photos and a form for servicing/replacement so I'll wait and see what they say. Did you have to send the frame and the lens?
Don't really want the frame replaced as I put a goggle strap on them
ski holidays
UPDATE: Spoken to a guy at Oakley and they cannot replace the lens for free because the warranty has run out (not surprising considering I bought them in 2008). However, they can replace the lens at a discounted price of £36 instead of the full £60 that a Black Iridium lens would cost, so I think I'm going to do that.

Thanks everyone! Very Happy
snow report
lewisb22 wrote:
UPDATE: Spoken to a guy at Oakley and they cannot replace the lens for free because the warranty has run out (not surprising considering I bought them in 2008). However, they can replace the lens at a discounted price of £36 instead of the full £60 that a Black Iridium lens would cost, so I think I'm going to do that.

Thanks everyone! Very Happy

Good result, I think that's a very far offer on a pair of 6 year old goggles Very Happy
latest report
lewisb22, I sent the all intact, they replaced both.

I have thought of buying everything Oakley including clothing to the knowledge their service is fantastic.
snow report
1969jma, yeah, I have an Oakley jacket and a baselayer, absolutely love the jacket. Think I'm going to take advantage of their reduced items and get a hoodie and some shirts/t shirts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy