Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada drink drive laws?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what the drink drive laws are in Canada? Can I have a glass of vino with my meal or do I have to drink water while my mates get hammered? Do they fine you on the spot or throw you in the slammer for evermore?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
0.08 percent or 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, the same as the UK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks feef
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont get caught.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dont get caught.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
blahblahblah
That's always been my motto, oh, and lie like mad if stopped!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a bus, we do; then you can enjoy the delights of the range of Canadian beverages on offer. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are also some other booze laws to be aware of. It is illegal to have alcohol inside the car in Canada (at least in BC), if you are transporting it, it must go in the boot (trunk). It is also illegal to drink in public places and the police do check. Doesn't apply so much in winter, but I've had them check my drinks when having a bbq on the beach. Turns out the idea of putting wine in a thermos flask has actually been done before Sad It made it taste cr@p anyway.

On the road they tend to set up road blocks rather than pull individuals over; I've seen this a couple of times on the road from Squamish to Whistler and back. I'm sure they pull people over too if they look suspicious.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What he said. They do it at "new years" and other times. They stop you, and ask if you've had a drink. I had to ask my Canadian mates what the right answer is there, and it's "no", because if you say "yes" they will definitely breathalyze you, otherwise they generally let you pass.

So to be clear, the differences are:
- they stop everyone, even if you're entirely legal;
- if you admit to the booze, they will breathalyze you, if you do not, assuming you're not apparently over the limit and otherwise legal, they will wish you a good evening.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect the provinces have slightly different treatment of Drink drivers. Generally its pathetic here in alberta. You get a fine and your licence stripped for 24 hrs, or something like that. Consequently drink driving is way more of a problem. I have never seen a road block in Calgary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The other booze laws are good to know too, thanks. So hip flasks are a bit of a no-no on the chair lifts then? That'll annoy one of my party at least!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gryphea wrote:
I suspect the provinces have slightly different treatment of Drink drivers. Generally its pathetic here in alberta. You get a fine and your licence stripped for 24 hrs, or something like that. Consequently drink driving is way more of a problem. I have never seen a road block in Calgary.

They quite often had stop checks on the hill going down into Cochrane from Calgary on highway 1A. Once or twice a year and as I recall it was always coming back from a Flames game.

It always amused me the way they would lean into you car to try and detect booze on your breath.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 21-01-14 18:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alcohol is very expensive in BC, it is highly taxed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got stopped about 5 yrs ago I was driving at the speed limit on a mountain road lot of people passed me inc the police car. I was driving to carefully so he assumed I was drunk. I had not had any thing stronger than a coffee or 2, but all the passengers were fast sleep and I was trying not to wake them up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got roadblocked once on the Crowsnest driving back into BC. They were mainly concerned I hadn't been loading up on cases of Lucky Lager that weren't prohibitively taxed and regulated in AB.
snow report
In Canada I think you have to be 21 to be allowed to drink and drive...
snow conditions
Flaine skier wrote:
In Canada I think you have to be 21 to be allowed to drink and drive...

19 in BC. That's why the bars in Whistler are full of American kids during Spring Break.
snow report
And 18 in alberta
snow report
In Netherlands the age went up from 16 to 18 for Alcohol (also cigaretes)
on January 1st.
However, we only check if they look 13.

Its now Cheaper to smoke a joint
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy