Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catskills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No, not a thread about the creepy Cat Circus (yes, that really does exist and was on prime time French TV quite recently… Confused) but about the hills in New York.

Can anyone tell me anything about them and whether they are worth a visit? Pretty much all I could find on here was a quick reference to ski touring there on the 'off piste insurance' thread and this:

fatbob wrote:

Catskills? Are you mental?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head north in NY state to the Adirondacks, e.g. Whiteface Mountain (Lake Placid) for better skiing. (Disclaimer: based on summertime observation only.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you find yourself stuck in New York metro area and in need to something to do that doesn't involve the city, Catskill is the closest mountain area.

So whether it's worth a visit really depends on the particular circumstance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:

So whether it's worth a visit really depends on the particular circumstance.

Well I suppose my question is twofold: firstly I may well be going to that part of the world for a brief visit and so was interested to know whether they were worth a visit for me personally (I won't be there for very long and it wouldn't be the main purpose of the trip but would definitely make the effort if it was worth it).

Secondly, I know someone who wants to sell her property that is an hour away from the Catskills by car (she's been widowed and wants to move back to the UK to be with her family). It's a lovely property with loads of land and is cheap as chips but I'm not sure how effective the local agent is as she's not having much luck. I was wondering whether being an hour away from the Catskills was any sort of selling point at all (I've never skied on the East Coast)?! Do you - I'm assuming you're based in NYC - go there in summer and/or winter?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do go to the Catskills often enough. So yes, for the locals, it's quite worth the visit. I wouldn't suggest it too strongly for someone who's only here for a short visit though. (if you're staying for 3 months, that's a different story)

The Catskills is one of the off-shoot foothills of the Appalachian (forgive my spelling) range. So just about everything you expect a mountaineous area (but not high alpine mountain) is, it's there. Hiking in the summer, skiing in the winter, etc. Still, skiing isn't the strongest selling point, due to irregular of natural snowfall.

"one hour from the Catskills" can be anything depends on which direction! (if it's west of the Catskills, it's not going to be worth much, being in the middle of absolutely nowhere...)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, interesting info, thanks a lot.

Yes, it is an hour north of the mountains rather than east, making it about 3.5 hours from the big cities. They had it as a stables (and could still be used for that) but the house itself is lovely and would be a fab country retreat from Boston or NYC… if only it was a little closer….

Actually if you or anyone have any real estate contacts who might be able to offer any advice, it would be very gratefully received.

Thanks again for the info - will pack my hiking boots and see what the weather is doing when I'm out there!

Thanks laundryman too for your reply.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
North of Catskill should be better than west... which town? The closer to I-87 ("the Thruway"), the better the appeal.

Don't have much personal contact that far north. I may know some people but not neccesarily realter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, it's in Worcester. I seem to remember it taking us about 45 minutes to get onto I-87 when we've done it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ahh.

I don't know the area much at all, I'm afraid. It's not too close to any of the ski areas. I think it'll probably appeal more to people who really want to "get away from it all" and make a comfy home there, not as a base to somewhere else.

It's quite far from New York City. And from Boston, they'd been going by a lot of equally nice area before they reach Worcester. So I quite doubt it. It's quite close to Albany so my guess that'll probably be the primary source of interest.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, yes, I think you're right. Thanks for thinking about it though, I appreciate it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been a couple of times while in NY on business, belleayre and hunter, both fine day trips and very enjoyable, but not a MUST DO, more a 'ohh why not as I have a sunday free'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy