Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black run suggestions at 7 Laux or Alpe D'Huez?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We are 2 intermediate skiers living in Grenoble for the moment. We have access to Chamrousse, 7 Laux, 2 Alpes, Alpe D'Huez, Villard de Lans on weekends. Could anyone suggest some black runs, particularly on 7 Laux or Alpe D'Huez to start with?

We do reds comfortably and just started doing some blacks with caution. We can come down a steep (as in the black Bellcombes, Fees of 2 Alpes) black run or a mogulled black run (as in the Plan du Pra of 7 Laux) one way or the other :0) , just not one that is steep and mogulled (as in Tunnel of Alpe D'Huez, i suppose oSmile ).

Thanks a lot!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The easiest black at les 7 laux is the Jasse accessed by the Pouta lift. For you avoid the Pas de Chien, one of the steepest pistes in the Alps and the Vallons de Pra and the Combe de Bedina. The rest of the blacks are easy but the Eveque isn't pisted.

At l'alpe d'Huez, for you, avoid the tunnel initially. Nothing particularly difficult about the other pistes but follow the sun as the runs can get very icy. That is, start on the east facing runs to finish the Oz side in the afternoon.

At Chamrousse the Casserouse is the only challenging piste, when it is open.

Some of the steepest slopes in the area are at the Col du Barioz ski area and in some of the small resorts (for example St Hilaire even though it only has reds). St Pierre has some good slopes and off piste too but there is not much snow this year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-01-14 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember La Fuma on the Auris side of ADH being quite tough. Might be one to test your progression on because it is less intimidating than the Tunnel but still quite steep and I remember it getting quite mogulled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
The easiest black at les 7 laux is the Jasse accessed by the Pouta lift. For you avoid the Pas de Chien, one of the steepest pistes in the Alps and the Vallons de Pra and the Combe de Bedina. The rest of the blacks are easy but the Eveque isn't pisted.

Thank you both!

I thought the Eveque joins the Vallons du Pra eventually? When you say that I better avoid the Vallons du Pra and that I could try Eveque, do you mean that it is mostly the very top of Vallons du Pra with the variante that is difficult and one could do the lower part starting from Eveque? Is Eveque more difficult than Plan du Pra?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
themothandthestar, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Le Fare, down into Vaujany from L'Alpette (IIRC) is a great black run - reasonably wide and consistent (fabulous views too). Because Vaujany is fairly low (1250m) there can be coverage issues, so the piste isn't always open.

Someone mentioned, I think, that Combe Charbonniere is also reasonably challenging (a question of perspective, I suppose).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
themothandthestar wrote:
davidof wrote:

Thank you both!

I thought the Eveque joins the Vallons du Pra eventually? When you say that I better avoid the Vallons du Pra and that I could try Eveque, do you mean that it is mostly the very top of Vallons du Pra with the variante that is difficult and one could do the lower part starting from Eveque? Is Eveque more difficult than Plan du Pra?

The top of the Pra is steep, around 30 degrees. The Eveque is a more even gradient but is not pisted so can be a lot of skiing on choppy snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Useless information: La Fare has the steepest average gradient of all the ADH blacks, believe it or not. That's because it doesn't really have any flat bits rather than because it is very steep at any point, so don't let that put you off
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cacciatore wrote:

Le Fare, down into Vaujany from L'Alpette (IIRC) is a great black run - reasonably wide and consistent (fabulous views too). Because Vaujany is fairly low (1250m) there can be coverage issues, so the piste isn't always open.

Someone mentioned, I think, that Combe Charbonniere is also reasonably challenging (a question of perspective, I suppose).

wonderful long runs both.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all!

i'm guessing the Combe Charbonniere has moguls, but is also very steep at the same time?
The moguls don't scare me when they don't come so very steep Blush as they do in the Tunnel, Alpe D'Huez or the Noisette, 7 Laux.

People say that Sarenne is a nice long, rather doable run. I wonder about the last flat part though, how long would it take an average person to go through that flat part?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarenne is great in good snow, the bottom is fine, didn't take us long at all, it's not totally flat/uphill, more NEARLY flat so you have to do some xc style skating, but not so much you are knackered and fed up...

It gets steadily easier after a reasonably hairy start, I remember traversing across a lot to where it was a little less steep/full of stuck folks and after 5 turns or so, never another moment of problem - I was doing it in knee deep powder though, if it gets mogully I think the top would be interesting....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
themothandthestar, it is a pleasant enough run and certainly "doable". I seem to recall the last section taking about 10 minutes. It is a very gentle gradient. Quite spectacular and well worth doing IMV.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Yep, probably my fave 2 in AdH. When we stayed in Vaujany, La Fare was the home run, and we looked forward to it every day!

Did I read somewhere that it's technically the steepest run in AdH? i.e. in terms of distance over vertical. I think it's pretty easy as black runs go...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a.j. wrote:
if it gets mogully I think the top would be interesting....

Agreed.

I do wonder if it is marked black to deter "wannabe red skiers". There are no jump off points, restaurants or control areas for rescuing those who might find it a little too much.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hahaha, as Arno said just a couple of posts above. D'oh.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
davidof wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Yep, probably my fave 2 in AdH. When we stayed in Vaujany, La Fare was the home run, and we looked forward to it every day!

Did I read somewhere that it's technically the steepest run in AdH? i.e. in terms of distance over vertical. I think it's pretty easy as black runs go...

Maybe....about 3 or 4 posts further up.... wink Laughing

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=107283#2451698
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Hahaha, as Arno said just a couple of posts above. D'oh.

Ahhhh.... Laughing
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo,
Quote:

When we stayed in Vaujany, La Fare was the home run, and we looked forward to it every day!

+ 1
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy