Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

binding testing for new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

OK, I've succumed and bought my 1st set of ski's of t'internet. (including mounting ! hope this will be ok) now I need to have the bindings set for my boots. Yet to arrive in the post.....

I'm not sure that there is anywhere near me (Cardiff) that has a proper electronic binding realease / torque testing machine (or whatever they are called). SO, I guess I'll need to have it done in resort as soon as I can.

How much should I expect this to cost in France ?
Anyone reccomend a shop in Meribel for this to be done ?

(bindings are marker squires, so I think they need to have the toe height adjusted as well as the forward presure etc. I'm generally been put on a din of 6~6.5 on previous rental skis with current boots.)

Gareth.

PS, I'm not sure how well they might be serviced either, I guess there's a risk that they've not had any servicing/ waxing ! (yes I know this makes my bargain skis, less of a bargain....)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you bought these second hand with no idea what condition they are in?

Any shop in a resort will check your bindings for free IME.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the Squire is on the indemnified binging list which means that a shop will look at them for you, if you want them testing you need a shop with one of these http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/26/39/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
the Squire is on the indemnified binging list which means that a shop will look at them for you, if you want them testing you need a shop with one of these http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/26/39/

yup, that was what I was thinking, a proper testing machine. If I had time and was closer, I'd consider taking the skis to the Piste Office for service and test; Jon sounds like he's one of the few fully-set up ski places in the uk.

I guess a resort shop would also charge for a test on the machine then ?

What's the indemnified binging list ? is that something to do with racing ? or is it something to do with the shop having a get out clause if they give bad advice ?

cheers,

Gareth.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatgaz wrote:
What's the indemnified binging list ? is that something to do with racing ? or is it something to do with the shop having a get out clause if they give bad advice ?

binging -> binding wink

It is originally a US thing I believe, given the pathologically litigious nature of folk over there. It is assembled by a US trade body (the NSSRA) and lists all the bindings that are approved for use by manufacturers if installed and maintained by appropriately skilled (certified?) shops. US Ski shops won't generally mount or maintain bindings not on the indemnified list, because they risk being held liable if the binding fails and the rider is injured as a result.

Basically, bindings more than 10-15 years old stop being indemnified. Stuff can and does wear out. Bindings not on the indemnified list aren't necessarily dangerous; you just have to take responsibility for them yourself.

Whether EU techs care about indemnification or not, I have no idea. Only the US list and shop behaviour is ever mentioned, it seems!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serriadh wrote:
, Whether EU techs care about indemnification or not, I have no idea. Only the US list and shop behaviour is ever mentioned, it seems!

Yes we do & the list is issued to us to but from individual manufacturers rather than all the makers on one list - which is why we all use the US list.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatgaz, unlike the US there's no requirements in the EU/UK for new bindings to be torque tested when mounted & new bindings are tested at the factory so the chances of a new binding showing a fault are very remote. You therefore only really need to have the dins/forward pressure/toe height set which most shops will do foc, although it's always appreciated if you can spend a few quid in the shop whilst your waiting Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy !! hoorey !! Very Happy my new ski's have just arrived !

Hmm..... they do look rather 'youth' and I'm anything but young.... Embarassed oh well, cheaper that a porsche or a harley for a mid life crisis (though I did buy a gibson les-paul when turning 40) Wink I also got the matching ski poles.... lame. hope I haven't gone too short. (-10cm off my height rather than -3cm) but I need all the help i can get in the bumps etc. 2.5kg so not too heavy.

I've done a rough set-up* and the bindings seem to be behaving themselves and seem to fit my boots OK. thank goodness.
the ski's desparately need a wax though... I'll see what my better local-ish shop can do. I've also ordered some 'rub-on' wax, but I guess a new pair should have at least a hot wax to get them going ?

thanks for the advice Jon, I'll get a local shop to check the boots & bindings and then I'll get them double checked at the resort - but I won't bother with the torque test given what you said.

G.

* rear 'pressure' screw is flush with the binding when the boot's in and I can pull paper (actually the sales tag card from the ski poles) out from under the toe with a little bit of resistance. they seem to have some elastic movement at the toe before releasing when I push the boot sideways.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatgaz wrote:
.....rear 'pressure' screw is flush with the binding when the boot's in and I can pull paper (actually the sales tag card from the ski poles) out from under the toe with a little bit of resistance. they seem to have some elastic movement at the toe before releasing when I push the boot sideways.

That's perfect. Set the front & rear din releases (off a 12/13 or 13/14 chart only) & go ski Toofy Grin

It's really not hard & every skier should know how to adjust their bindings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:

That's perfect. Set the front & rear din releases (off a 12/13 or 13/14 chart only) & go ski Toofy Grin
It's really not hard & every skier should know how to adjust their bindings.

cool. Very Happy I didn't touch the toe height adjustment. I'll still get them checked anyway.

ok, 305mm sole, 175cm tall, 75-ish kg (ok xmas may have made that nearer 80kg) can ski reds ok, blacks often quite badly.
=(maybe!) a din of 5.5 for std type 1 skier, bump it to type 2 skier and that seems to give a din of 6.5 ?
This is not off a current marker chart though.

I remember a din of around 6 in the past so the above seems roughly reasonable.

Gareth.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy