Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half-Term in Tignes - eating out and reservations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I went to Tignes for the first time last year with the lads, but we were there in a relatively quiet week in late Jan/early Feb. For dinner we mixed our evenings between eating in at our apartment and going out to a few of the restaurants nearby (we were in Lavachet). When we did go out however, it was easy enough to just pick a venue and get a table without any real effort.

This year I am going with my gf and her son, and we are going during the busier (I assume!) UK half term week. My assumption is that a bulk of the visitors stay in chalets and are catered for, but we are in a hotel (Val Claret) so will be eating out most nights. Should I be thinking about reserving tables now (maybe to some of the more highly recommended establishments)? Or can it wait until we are there? On the day? etc...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book early. Half-term is mental. Definitely book mid-week "chalet night off" nights.

There are essentially no chalets in Val Claret BTW, it's pretty much all apartments/hotels. Big minging concrete ones...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes book, or at least be prepared to get very early /late sittings. Half term is a madhouse. We don't even bother to go to our own flat at half term.

Youngest finishes school this year..hurrah! Then we will ski where and when we want and only pay for 2 as well!!! snowHead It has been a long time coming...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to start looking at some reservations this week then.

Are there any recommendations? We are a family of 3 - with a 7 year old, so we won't be looking for any posh restaurant experiences, but would like to try and have a bit of variation throughout the week.

I went to the Marmott Arms last time midweek for a burger (lovely!). Being a pub-type establishment though, is there a problem taking children in there for food in the evenings?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Being a pub-type establishment though, is there a problem taking children in there for food in the evenings?

not normally a problem in French establishments, IME. The reason for the busy-ness isn't particularly because it's UK half term, but because it'll be Paris holidays too. You might well find your hotel will do early supper and a "kids club" leaving you to have an adult meal a bit later, in the hotel, some nights.

Have you booked ski school?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pam,

Thanks - good to know! I understand its the French half-term as well, so it isn't the ideal time to come for a quiet life! I will ask the hotel what they offer, that's a good idea.

We have already booked our mornings of ski lessons with TDC so yes, that is taken care of at least Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sixspeed wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to start looking at some reservations this week then.

Are there any recommendations? We are a family of 3 - with a 7 year old, so we won't be looking for any posh restaurant experiences, but would like to try and have a bit of variation throughout the week.

I went to the Marmott Arms last time midweek for a burger (lovely!). Being a pub-type establishment though, is there a problem taking children in there for food in the evenings?

Marmotte Arms is not great for kids IMHO - lots of people drinking pints of stella all evening. If your kid likes animals go to Le Ferme - one wall is glass and is shared with the cowshed next door (don't worry its pong proof).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will look that up. I thought of Marmotte as when we went in there it seemed very chilled out and quiet, and the food was good. But that was on a quiet week...(and I think we were fairly late).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In VC? We went to a restaurant/bar called The Cave I think, served great food, we had a massive fondue bourguingon and free wifi too. Down in Le Lac Lo Terrachu does the best food in the whole area. You will need to book both places as early as poss and phone to mention the kids. Lo Terrachu is run an English couple too so phone calls are easy. Not too sure if The Cave is suitable for kids though as they do have live music.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen the Cave mentioned on TripAdvisor, so that's good to get another recommendation.

I will look into Lo Terrachu too Smile Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy