Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance renewal due - Direct Travel Insurance or DogTag ?

Poster: A snowHead
It's that time to consider the annual insurance renewal.
For several years I have used Direct Travel but this year, for the first time, DogTag are actually cheaper!

I know that DogTag have advert on SH's and that I can get a discount via SH's.

Pretty similar offerings, so I am now looking at the 'how they deal with a claim' situation. As there is no point in taking on something a few quid cheaper only to find they are difficult to deal with when called upon.

Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback for either of these companies, particularly when you've had to make a claim?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FraserP, Ask Spyderman...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check the policy wording as well, Dogtag have added a very vaguely worded freestyle exclusion which looks like they could even try to worm out of something if you crashed doing a tiny jump on piste on skis but place no restriction on snowboarding other than excluding riding anywhere the local authorities say you shouldn't! Need to check that out before I renew. Oh and when I looked a couple of weeks ago the BASI insurance (available to anyone) which is simply re-badged Dogtag was quite a bit cheaper.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

other than excluding riding anywhere the local authorities say you shouldn't!

which when I asked excluded anywhere there was an avalanche warning. Though I didn't really trust the girl who told me that, who wasn't a skier. I did ask them to check with underwriters but never got anything more sensible. It would also exclude skiing on any closed runs, of course - though ALL policies are likely to exclude that - some people are very cavalier about skiing closed runs. I remember on SH a few years ago boasting that he had taken his kids down all the black runs in the 3 Valleys including several that were closed. Dickhead.

I was pleased with the way Snowcard dealt with my claim when I had an accident last year, and I think holidayloverXX also found them good. Snowcard were also good when my daughter in law bust an ACL in Les Gets, years ago and when my OH had to go home in a hurry because a freak tornado badly damaged our roof (I decided to stay on and ski, but they'd have paid for me to go home too if I'd wanted).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcard were great ehen i broke my collar bone
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FraserP, +1 for Snowcard, I use them for annual policy, skiing and MTB-ing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got a quote from Fogg that seemed much better value than both Dogtag and DIrect Travel. will check snowcard too thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My experience with Dogtag continues to be excellent, my on-going health declaration has been properly dealt with, within my expectation of the insurance industry.
I have previously had three claims under ski insurance policy's the two with Dogtag were settled with the minimum of fuss and quickly. The other with another firm was only paid when I threatened to personally visit their offices in Farnborough to collect a cheque.
As they say the proof of the pudding etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michelle wrote:
FraserP, Ask Spyderman...

I'm very disappointed with how I've been treated by Dogtag.
Took out annual cover for myself and Kitty January 2013, booked 2 holidays in March 2013, Got diagnosed with Cancer in June, told Dogtag in November, before my first trip in December, they said they wouldn't cover cancellation of the holiday because of my illness and if I went they wouldn't cover anything cancer related. This I can understand but refusing to pay out if I had to cancel the holiday is outrageous. Likewise they refused to cover cancelation of my January trip, fortunately my son and his GF are taking my place.

It's incredible that they won't cover me for bookings that I made before diagnosis. It's legalised theft.

Dogtag have sent me a renewal notice for this year, they can go and get F*cked Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, have you made a proper complaint and contacted the Ombudsman?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That sounds disgustingSpyderman, I must admit despite having used them for several years for both winter sports and offshore sailing cover I doubt I will be renewing as there seem to have been a whole load of things creep in that would let them squirm out of paying on a load of predictable happenings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowcard were on my list till after a long exchange of emails they confirmed they really did want me as single dad with 2 kids to pay more than they would want from a 'normal' 2 parent 2 kid family. They did sort of suggest I made an extra person up but could see how that would go if I needed to claim!
Dogtag is just getting daft, as I say restrictions on any freestyle type stuff for skiers but not for snowboarders and as to anywhere with an avalanche warning then that is everywhere when there is snow even if the warning is at 1!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just made a claim with Dogtag & they've been fantastic. I had an accident in Val D'Isere on Dec 23rd, I rang them from my hospital bed on the 24th & without even asking what I'd done they faxed through confirmation of payment to the hospital & I was allowed to be discharged (1265 euro bill before using my EHIC card)I also told them my skis had been taken from me until the bill for getting me off the mountain & to the hospital had been paid & they asked for the fax details & reciept number for the pisteurs. When I went to the piste security office in Tignes on Christmas Day to collect my skis they had already faxed through confirmation of payment for the 700 euro bill. I was told to keep all reciepts for any drugs/medical centre bills, taxis ect & they would reinburse me.
On my return to the UK I rang them & they sent me a claim form, I sent it so they had to sign for it which they did on the 6th, they wrote a letter to me settling the claim on the 8th & the money was in my bank account on the 13th. The only thing they wouldn't pay was my partners busfare to my outpatient appointment on Boxing Day as they said he didn't need to attend with me, the grand total of 10.8 euros-seemed a bit strange considering if I'd taken a taxi at 90 euros they would have paid all of that?! Puzzled

I had gone with them for our annual policy last May after recomendations from Snowheads & I've been very pleased with how they've dealt with my claim so would definitely recommend them Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Spyderman, have you made a proper complaint and contacted the Ombudsman?

No, because I haven't had need to claim, December trip went without a hitch, just took the chance on zero cancer cover. January trip conflicts with my treatment and as my sone is going instead, he's paid me for the accommodation. we were going to self-drive, he's flying and has booked transfers, so I'm not out of pocket at all. I'm voting with my feet,
I was previously with Direct Travel, never had any issues with them including a claim, they'll more than likely be herring my money this year. i realise that no insurance company will now cover me for anything relating to my illness, fully understandable, it's the retrograde conditions imposed by Dogtag that have seriously annoyed me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, bloody annoying. I would still be using Direct Travel if they hadn't limited us to 17 days per season instead of 17 days per trip.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Always puzzles me is how they tell how many trips you've had, assuming each trip was less than 17 days, who's to know.
snow conditions
Spyderman, how about breaking your neck on the 1st day of your trip in January , then needing to claim a refund for the trip you couldn't take in March?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I was only a 2 day trip in January wink
snow conditions
Spyderman, not according to our Eurotunnel tickets it wasn't wink
ski holidays
Just had a look at Direct Travel and outside the ski/board side of things it is clear as mud what sports they cover you for.
snow report
Spyderman, So sorry to hear of your problems. I hope everything turns out well.

Surely, once you have taken Travel Insurance, any subsequent trips are covered, should you have to cancel through illness that was not know about when you arranged the insurance?

What reason did they give? The reason I ask is that it may well affect other insurance company policies. What weasley excuse did they cite?
ski holidays
Just found this one via one of the big sailing insurance companies, they say it is the one they put people onto for yacht racing insurance and it looks to take a sensible approach to winter sports as well https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/
snow report
FraserP, They said they don't offer cover for any cancer related claims. I put my argument about the date of policy cover, booking dates and diagnosis dates, but they were having none of it.
snow report
Spyderman, I cannot see that sort of exclusion on the policies of DogTag or any other company and I've checked through a few now.

The closest I can see is this on the Dog Tag site:-
"We will advise you what cover we are able to provide after the date of diagnosis. We reserve the right to increase the premium, increase
the excess, exclude the condition or withdraw the cover should the stability of the condition make it necessary. "

Thanks for your input.

For me dealing with any insurance company is like bad day with Del Boy!
ski holidays
FraserP, Yup just read through my current Dogtag docs and can't find anything in there that would let them do that. Another reason added to the list of things encouraging me to go else where.
snow report
I think that I will be staying with MPI brokers despite the increased cost.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Have a look at the sportscoverdirect one, seems to me like Dogtag were a few years ago and quite a bit cheaper (£170 ish for an annual policy for me and the kids against over £200 renewal.)
ski holidays
Hells Bells, what's your reasoning?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I can't find anything so far that matches the cover I get, and many restrict my skiing days. I have another 25 days booked before the end of the season, and that is before my Christmas trip which will be included in this annual policy.
latest report
Hells Bells, I wonder if MPI brokers would be amenable to a kind of "loyalty bonus" for a group of returning customers?
snow conditions
pam w, I've contacted them this evening via Facebook, as i did not receive any renewal documents and it appears my policy has expired.
latest report
Spyderman, I'm really really surprised that Dogtag would not cover you for needing to cancel after discovery of your cancer :/ that seems totally unreasonable. I cancelled a trip 12 years ago after cervical cancer cells were found and I just wanted to stay home for treatment ASAP. The Doc signed me as unfit to travel and all was covered :/ shame on Dogtag!!!!
latest report
Hells Bells, Snowcard will cover you for lots of days (and off piste without a guide) if you take their top level cover - though this year MPI offered a better deal.
snow conditions
Spyderman,

That is absolutley disgraceful behaviour from Dog-Tag and I can't believe it to be legal.

I compared their policy to Fogg insurance and they were considerably more expensive anyway so I didn't pursue it - I'm glad I didn't.

Hope everything goes well with your treatment.
snow report
pam w, renewed with MPI in the end after calling them this morning.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy