Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello Everyone and a question about tip protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings one and all. Just found this board so thought I’d register and say Hello!

I’m a 46 year old lazy intermediate, with a family that includes two teenager Snowboarders, and two teenage skiers who can happily leave me and their mum far behind on anything more challenging than a gentle red.

I first ski’d about 15 years ago but didn’t start ‘properly' until 2002. Since then we’ve managed two or three weeks each year, with my wife and I ‘sneaking away’ for an extra week around Christmas. All our skiing has been in Europe so far, Courmayeur, Pila, Les 2 Alpes and Morzine have all featured,. We normally drive to the Alpes because we got fed up with airport delays and the kids prefer the car anyway. (plus it’s a lot cheaper when there are 6 of you going!).

This year we are ‘doing’ Val d’isere at Christmas , Alpe d’huez in February and in April a first trip to Lake Tahoe, can’t wait!

Now to the question, at the end of last season I picked up a pair of 06 model Bandit B2’s (400 Euros including bindings from Intersport in Morzine). I’d been hiring a pair for two days and thought they were great (still do) although I suspect they aren’t ‘stretched’ by my meagre demands. Anyway unlike the hire models in the shops they came without the little black rubber tip protectors. I’d quite like to get a pair fitted so as to save my nice new ski tips from getting chipped, but apparently Rossignol only supply them to the rental shops. So does anyone know of a third party or ‘aftermarket source for such things? I’ve scoured the web but so far no joy. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and here’s looking forward to a great 06 skiing season for all!

Cheers Very Happy

SimonT

Edited, just to see if it's possible Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-03-08 15:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads, AxsMan! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Now about your question. I'm sorry, I haven't a clue! You'll probably get an answer on Monday though, as a lot of people just log on at work rolling eyes .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, welcome to snowHeads, the only thing i can think of is to see if a hire shop can supply you with a set, I've never seen them for sale
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick replies and welcomes everyone. The Hire shop suggestion is a good one and I'll certainly try it if all else fails. I can't believe that Rossignol don't sell the things. After all the Bandits are suppoesed to be 'top selling' ski's so there must be a market.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome indeed AxsMan. And what a nicely written 1st post!

I have no idea myself, although if you were going to be in Morzine, you could ask Eric nicely at Francois Baud sports. In fact, if you want a shop recommendation and haven't been there before, then I suggest you do! In my experience they're the best in the village.

In Val d'Isere, I have been well impressed with (I think) Alp Sports. Ask them if they have spare ones lying around.

But, I've had many pairs of skis without such attachments - IMHE the tip doesn't usually degrade too much unless you have a frequent habit of skiing straight into things. In which case a helmet might be a more prudent purchase.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David, and point taken re the helmet Very Happy

Actually its more for when I'm resting the skis against a wall or something, I noticed the tip protectors on my old skis got quite scratched up and seeing the 'raw' edge on the Bandits, it just looks vulnerable. Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan wrote:
Thanks David, and point taken re the helmet Very Happy

Actually its more for when I'm resting the skis against a wall or something, I noticed the tip protectors on my old skis got quite scratched up and seeing the 'raw' edge on the Bandits, it just looks vulnerable. Confused

It is, I've some B2's I'd like to put some tip protectors on, I was nursing them around on and off the lift today and it's annoying. I looked all over for some and couldn't find any, the best bet is asking a hire shop if they could stick some on I'm sure.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some suggestions were made in this previous thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=137598&highlight=tip+protectors#137598
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the old B2's - love em to bits but lets face it - the tips take way less damage then the rest of the ski... by the time the tips are damaged my skis will be in a hell of a state.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get over it. Your skis are going to get scratched. I understand that you want to keep them looking nice and it's very annoying that they get damaged when you're not actually skiing on them (in lifts etc) but it's all wear and tear.

As Timberland used to say on the marketing leaflets that come with there (once) very expensive footwear. The stains just add to the character.

IMO the worst time is slotting the skis into the racks on bubbles, especially if a lifty does it. Just be a bit careful, your skis will be fine.

Remember that part of the reason the hire skis looked so knackered is that they're hire skis and people treat them like dirt.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

it's very annoying that they get damaged when you're not actually skiing on them

Couldn't agree more. I broke a chip off the top sheet of my Atomic R9's last year. That happened when slotting them into a ski rack thingy outside a pub in Les Arcs. Cosmetic damage only, but still very annoying indeed Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Get over it. Your skis are going to get scratched. I understand that you want to keep them looking nice and it's very annoying that they get damaged when you're not actually skiing on them (in lifts etc) but it's all wear and tear.

Fair point, and I can even accept that a bit of wear and tear can be attractive (like a nicely worn leather coat), but it just seems plain daft that these tip protectors are on hundreds of hire skis all across Europe, but are impossible to get hold of for a pair that I've actually bought. Admittedly it's not the end of the world, but it does seem a bit silly Confused

Thanks for all the other suggestions and the link to the other thread, At least now I know that it's not just me who finds this strange. I'll keep looking. One thought - Straw poll, If I found a source of these things for under a fiver how many people would be interested? (could twist Rossignols arm to make them avaiable).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:

I don't think you quite understand the problem. The B2's (along with some other skis) have a tendency to delaminate at the tail. It's nothing to do with people being precious about their skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise wrote:
I don't think you quite understand the problem. The B2's (along with some other skis) have a tendency to delaminate at the tail....

But the request is for tip protectors, not tail protectors.
ski holidays
ise Delaminate at the tail Shocked Shocked Shocked What my nice new B2's will fall apart at any moment? Now I'm really worried Shocked

spyderjon You are quite right it was tip protectors I was looking for, but then I hadn't heard about the tail delamination issue! Should I invest in a large roll of duct tape, or just accept the inevitable and expect the B2's to be shredded in a couple of seasons? Confused

Concerned of Leicester
snow report
AxsMan, notice that the '05 B2 has a handy tail protector bit in place.
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
....Should I invest in a large roll of duct tape.....?

I recommend a pop rivet gun wink
latest report
AxsMan, I was chatting to a guy in a hire shop about this very issue as I have B2's and was looking for tip protectors. He was of the opinion that it is the tails that are more vulnerable than the tips to damage, but that he thought that it would not be worth the bother of fitting them to private skis. Hire skis tend to get banged about in a very clumsy manner all through the season, if you take a little care then you shouldn't have any problems.
latest report
Quote:

notice that the '05 B2 has a handy tail protector bit in place

comprex is that the little metal bit that sticks out a couple of mil on the tail - phew I was getting worried rolling eyes

Well it's just back to my original quest - find someone that will sell me a couple of tip protectors (and hopefully fit them).

scarpa I'm sure you're right it's just knowing that tip protectors exist, gives me a kind of itch to have them fitted, know what I mean?

Thanks everyone for all the comments - great board by the way Very Happy

ST
latest report
Welcome AxsMan,

I'm afraid I'm with Parlor. I nursed my first pair of skis (didn't use them as a walking stick, careful jabbing the into the snow, "help is that a stone on the piste") and then I realised that they are for skiing on. If I'm really enjoying myself then I will stick the tip in to a mogul every now and again, get the tails skiied over in a lift queue, gouge a base on a hidden off-piste rock but in the end, so what? Skis are a tool for having fun on not ornaments.

So if you happen to see tip protectors when you are in a ski shop then great, buy some, but I wouldn't waste a single minute of skiing time to find them!

Enjoy the season,

Jed
ski holidays
Quote:

but I wouldn't waste a single minute of skiing time to find them!

jedster Good point, well made! Very Happy
snow conditions
There's a guy in Georgia (US) that makes snowboard ones, does business on Ebay as Bang-Guard.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Welcome AxsMan,

I'm afraid I'm with Parlor. I nursed my first pair of skis (didn't use them as a walking stick, careful jabbing the into the snow, "help is that a stone on the piste") and then I realised that they are for skiing on. If I'm really enjoying myself then I will stick the tip in to a mogul every now and again, get the tails skiied over in a lift queue, gouge a base on a hidden off-piste rock but in the end, so what? Skis are a tool for having fun on not ornaments.

So if you happen to see tip protectors when you are in a ski shop then great, buy some, but I wouldn't waste a single minute of skiing time to find them!

Enjoy the season,

Jed

I'd really rather like my skis to last the season, that's a season not a fortnight. I'm not talking about cosmetics, just the practical consideration of the skis not falling apart after 30 or 40 days use.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy