Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing bindings for Dynastar Cham 87

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs Ringingmaster tried these at one of the ski test evenings back in the autumn. She liked them so much we arranged to hire some from SkiSet in Les Carroz last weekend. They gave her loads of confidence.
http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/dynastar/cham_woman_87_nx_12_wide_red-52864.html

So... I am going to buy her some for her birthday, however I have absolutely no idea how to go about choosing and mounting bindings. I know nothing. Ziltch. Any advice would be fantastic.

Looking on the Dynastar pages, they do a vanilla version and a 'fluid' version. I believe the 'fluid' relates to the Look Bindings, and the hire skis she had last weekend were 'fluid', but adjustable version. I may (probably am) wrong on all counts. Happy
http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/dynastar-skis-women-freeride.html

Also are ski ski.glisshop reasonable for price and service? Are there better or cheaper places on the internet?

Cheers

Steve.

edit: for typos.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME bindings are pretty much of a muchness, unless you are looking at very specific uses such as racing or touring. Manufacturers claim various innovations no doubt (some people rave about LOOK turn table heel pieces for example), but I've never seen any impartial evidence that any make is better than any other for general use. You have 2 main variables, the weight and the DIN range. Generally the higher the DIN the higher the weight as there is a more metal work inside. As long as you get a binding with an appropriate DIN range then I'd just go for the lightest with the best colour match for the skis Happy

You want to make sure that the DIN setting you use is not too close to the max or min of the binding, so if you set your DIN on 6, say, don't get a hefty binding rated from 6 to 14 (for example), get one that covers 4 to 10 maybe; that way you save weight, money and it will cover your needs should you reduce or increase the DIN slightly.

Don't mount the bindings yourself... get the shop to do it, they have the drill bits, the jig and in the unlikely event that they get it wrong it's their problem. If you order on the internet they can still mount them in the right position if you give the boot sole length but you'll want to get them double checked in a ski shop with the boots just to make sure the pressure setting is right. You could do that yourself if you know how to check and adjust it, but a shop will take about 30 seconds to do it and are very unlikely to charge for it.

Never used glisshop, I'd take a look at sport-conrad to compare though, they have good prices and an excellent reputation of customer service.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-01-14 9:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sah, thank you for your informative post. Will make some decisions now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second the vote for the Cham 87 having tested them myself in November. All I would say from my own recent experience of bindings is avoid Marker Squires (have poor performance clicking in). Go for a different brand, and if your wife is light with a relatively low din setting required go for a light binding.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote here for the Cham87, but I was thinking about getting the Distorter twin tip version.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster, I bought some new skis recently and had no idea about bindings so contacted snowHead spyderjon.

I went to his place yesterday to get the bindings fitted snowHead

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, If she liked the fluid version (adjustable for all boot sizes) than get her that as the flat version may ski differently as different bindings have different ramp, ie height difference between heel and toe and different stand heights. The fluid version will have dynastar (look) bindings) and just slide onto a rail, you then move to boot size. Shop will do that for free and set forward pressure etc. simple! Very Happy

looks like you enjoyed les carroz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carroz, Thanks for the info. I am having trouble finding the fluid version in the UK. I have only found the skis available on the website glisshop link I posted above, and as far as I can see, none of the available bindings are the 'fluid' ones. I am going to try a local shop.

We had a great time in Les Carroz. Loved how quiet the Les Carroz side of the hill was. Managed to get these skis from the New Loc shop, and Judith thought they were a blast. Will be back for a few days in Jan next year I expect.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely go for the Fluid version, I have several Dynastars with and without, and the ones "with" ski better and seem smoother (there's a techical explanation for that) Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty wrote:
I second the vote for the Cham 87 having tested them myself in November. All I would say from my own recent experience of bindings is avoid Marker Squires (have poor performance clicking in). Go for a different brand, and if your wife is light with a relatively low din setting required go for a light binding.

Completely agree with this but the better Markers are fine, just the bottom of the range ones that seem a bit sh|te
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, Shhh don't tell anyone how quiet it is sometimes................... Very Happy

Found this, but in France, but will ship by the looks of it

http://www.sportimium.com/en/skis-packs-powder-freeride/6953-dynastar-cham-woman-87-fluid-nx-11-w-b100-winter-2014.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have skied the Cham 87 Women with Look Fluid bindings for two days this week, and really liked them, although I'm certain they ski better than I can at the moment!

I've now been offered the demo pair, in very good condition, for €280. This looks like a decent deal to me, but would appreciate any further input on the skis or the price. Need to make up my mind tonight and am very tempted!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We paid about £350 incl bindings
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster, thanks for that info. Since we're staying in Les Carroz will pop into New Loc in the morning and see if they are still doing that price, haven't found a price anywhere near that online.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All skis should have Look Pivot Happy
latest report
I recently bought a pair of skis (Rossie Saffron 7) and got talked up into 'knee bindings'. Both were on good offer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy