Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you enjoy chewed up slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
If this weeks holiday has taught me one thing it is that i will be looking to ski off piste much more in the future.
I have really started to detest the way the pistes get chewed up and moguled so heavily after lunch time. I love the early morning corduroy and being able to carve at speed down a beautifully groom run but once the bumps start to appear it just kills my legs and balance.
Maybe i need to learn to deal with it better but for this week i decided by 3pm i had just about had enough of dodging the crowds and having to travel so slowly...the flat light didn't help much either.

Next time i will be looking for a quiet resort and a quiet time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you?

I must admit I love nothing better than being one of the first up on a run in he morning, it is so quiet and lovely.

Same score I get a perverse pleasure from the churned up slopes, but don't like it when it is slush as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Next time i will be looking for a quiet resort and a quiet time

Puzzled Times don't get much quieter than mid January. You were in the PdS I recall from the "we all die today" thread? The pistes have been deserted here since the New Year crowds went home. Even more so than I remember in previous years - and even though the lower altitude resorts in the Arly Valley are not worth bothering with, so everyone is up here. I have had entire pistes to myself on several occasions and there isn't even a whiff of a lift queue. You need to go somewhere off the tour operators lists.

I am doing an off piste week (beginners intro) this coming week and having skied a very chopped up, ungroomed, black run a couple of days ago - which certainly killed my legs though I just about got down it - I've been wondering if I have made a mistake and over-reached myself. so your comments about off-piste are comforting!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Yes, Avoriaz. I found the slopes yesterday down to Lindarets particularly messy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, don't worry, you'll be fine under easiski's tutelage I'm sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The warmer the weather the worse the mounding. If you are well balanced, nicely relaxled in the leg joints and not too knackered or passive then zipping straight down the crud can be huge fun.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crowds and flat light you'll get no argument with, but mounded and chopped up snow can be a lot of fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Corduroy, have you ever skied in North America? I think it may be your nirvana.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crowds last week Puzzled Puzzled Could I just recommend that you never go during a peak week then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Corduroy, Most of all I like slushy bumps. Firm bumps are ok too, but slush in general ticks all the right boxes for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corduroy, Snow = fun Does not matter what type.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oddly, while it's nice when the slopes are pisted and empty, I find the feeling of skiing on morning corduroy is strangely unnatural.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Avoriaz. I found the slopes yesterday down to Lindarets particularly messy.

ah yes.

the n00bs equate high with difficult, so the won't go near Arare, Fornet etc. where the snow can be stunning. So they'll suffer on the run in to Lindarets.

That's exactly what happened the year it rained over new yr, so that Lindarets run was wet cement moguls and skiers that just couldn't cope. At least the heli vac is only at the bottom

If it;s warm... high = easy.

If you struggle, take a lesson, then you enjoy them Smile (only bit I don't enjoy is when they're narrow and too many bodies in the way all waiting for people to get out of the way so they can put in 1 turn).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corduroy, it's just a matter of attitude.
Smooth clear rippled pistes are ok, but really rather boring.
Pistes all cut up with bumps and crowds provide so much more interesting time.
You have to choose your path and avoid the idiots.
More taxing maybe, but much more fun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the light has dawned, DoneCorduroy Wink
snow conditions
First run on soft corduroy, blue skies and sun ticks boxes for me, but there is a certain satisfaction factor in coping with more challenging conditions.
ski holidays
The same conditions all the time would get boring.
ski holidays
Corduroy, we have been in PDS all week - but I don't recall that we have been in Avoriaz - other than passing through one day on the say to Switzerland - we have had blissfully empty slopes in Les Gets, on Mt Chery a couple of times, quiet on the Chatel Linga side, and Roc d'Enfer was just like having a Robert Redford 'own ski area' yesterday. I am like you in that I enjoy the slopes first thing in the morning and don't enjoy the chopped up stuff either, but skiing down to the Ardent car park about 4 the other day it was not chopped up at all.
ski holidays
Corduroy wrote:
If this weeks holiday has taught me one thing it is that i will be looking to ski off piste much more in the future.

Is that so you will get better at skiing variable conditions? One of the best places to learn offpiste is in the chopped up end of day mushfeast.
latest report
Mind you, I can see where the OP is coming from, I know I haven't been skiing long, but I am of the opinion that hero pisted snow is as rare as pure, light, fluffy crystaline virgin powder.
snow report
N.B. In fact if I rarely get on the hero pisted stuff I sometimes wonder just what to do on it - the obvious places to put in turns vanish, because you can do them anywhere so then its a question of how best to enjoy it, big turns, little turns, straight line it.....? Laughing
ski holidays
There are obvious places to put in turns on a well pisted run?

Keeping turning in crud works better for me than thinking about where to put in the turns .

http://youtube.com/v/4li0FUtGCCM

http://youtube.com/v/DQv53VSxykY

http://youtube.com/v/54Rhdvaf30Q
ski holidays
Chewed up snow that's been in the sun and turned into slushy moguls is horrid. It's even worse after an overnight freeze. Chewed up slopes where the corduroy has been stripped into to patches of polished ice is equally horrid. But nice, soft piles of fluffy powder scraped into appealing moguls by generous skiers is a true delight. How is it possibly to dislike it?
snow report
Avoriaz is full of narrow pistes so they get chopped up (and crowded) in no time. The best thing you can do to have more fun in these conditions is to switch to some wider and stiffer skis as they deal with the mank much better. Most accessible off-piste more than a morning after a snowfall won't be all that different I'm afraid.
snow report
I enjoy slopes. The clue is in the word 'slopes'. I'm not so good at dodgy conditions, but it's all good fun.
ski holidays
I think I do better than I expect to on less than ideal slopes because I've skied more than my fair share of iffyconditions. Maybe surprisingly I'm not overboard on the 0830 frozen slush corduroy - the stuff you don't even leave a mark in purely because it is rather teeth jangling, but is it a consistent surface which is helpful the totally worse bits are the patches where the basher tracks went over it when the slush was not quite re-frozen and it leaves behind an undentable surface resembling the giants causeway. Those vids were interesting, esp. the 'up; action (yes, I know it was exaggerated, but it's worth trying). Also, the speed aspect - I tend to be wary of iffy conditions and don't attack it, but those videos suggest that attacking it and speed were useful to deploy. Maybe a rethink on how I approach that sort of snow is in order.
ski holidays
I rather like cut up slopes and actually slush is one of my favourites Toofy Grin I love the soft bumps that form in the afternoons, great fun to play in while also being very forgiving, and proper moguls are growing on me nowadays. But I'm not a fan of hard icy patchy slopes or crowds or flat light, although the latter is the only one which can send me home early Wink Corduroy in the morning is fun for a couple of runs but then it is rather samey and after a few high speed passes I'm sure it would get a bit dull.
ski holidays
When my legs are feeling full of life, I quite enjoy the challenge of chopped up pistes and the need to constantly adjust the angle of my board, allowing my feet to move independently. By the end of a week, I'm tired and need the piste to be nice and predictable; sudden switches from topside to heelside edge have been known to send me flying...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You obviously got some nice off-piste conditions, sometimes the chopped up version of the snow is much more preferable to the original stuff!

I think most kinds of snow are fun and present different challenges.
ski holidays
Depends how hard you want to work imv. As I've become older I want it easier i.e. blue sky, no wind, no crowds, early morning fresh pisted run often blue, sometimes red. The occasional more difficult piste adds variety I guess, but I don't want too much. To each his own.
ski holidays
Meh +1
snow report
kieranm wrote:
mounded and chopped up snow can be a lot of fun.

Come on! While the OP could use better technique to deal with such condition, "fun" isn't what I would term such conditions. It's one of those that you "get through" on your way to better, more consistant surfaces!

I much prefer more defined moguls over randomly cut up snow as far as "fun" goes. Soft cut-up snow isn't too difficult to ski but there's no "fun" involved.

Corduroy wrote:
once the bumps start to appear it just kills my legs and balance.

Maybe i need to learn to deal with it better but for this week i decided by 3pm i had just about had enough of dodging the crowds and having to travel so slowly...the flat light didn't help much either.

Irregular bumps, if soft, you can simply ignore and speed right through! As others mentioned, keep your lower body relaxed to react to the ups and downs (you don't need to see it, just feel it) and ski it as if it's smooth corduroy.

As an off-piste skier, you'll just need to get used to ski all sort of un-expected surfaces. Off-piste, you could have ridges form by wind you need to get through which is similar. So might as well "enjoy" the learning opportunity!

There're snow surfaces that are "good to ski", which this is not. There're snow surfaces that are "good for you" to practice on, embrace it! Wink
snow report
I love skiing on freshly prepared pistes, but I also love skiing when it's been tracked out on piste, but still flat everywhere and not moguled .
latest report
Its better to use bumps of snow as slalom poles rather than beginners, at least they don't move!
snow report
Skiing on piste (bumpy or flat) is like dancing on a solid concrete floor. It gives nothing back to you and just drains energy.

Skiing off piste is like dancing on a sprung wooden floor. All the energy you put in keeps coming back and you just want to keep going.
snow report
altis, +1
snow conditions
Corduroy, what makes you think off piste won't be any easier??
ski holidays
Better to have a day in bad snow than a good day in the office.
ski holidays
I need to practise skiing with my legs and core rather than eyes and head, if you get my meaning, so choppy, cruddy stuff and even poor vis is great practise, and +1 to rob@rar 's comment too.[/b]
snow conditions
Corduroy, Strangely enough I really enjoy it and relish the bit of challenge it presents, I like the corduroy early morning grip aswell but battling the chop in mid afternoon gets me smiling ! I've yet to get good enough in the pow to really appreciate it but intend to rectify that over the next month or so Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy