Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Zermatt - the bit between Dole & Lausanne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've only ever driven to Zermatt (well, Tasch) in the summer and I remember slow progress around Besancon and Pontarlier. Various mapping sites come up with different routes - Google picks some dubious-looking D-roads.... has anyone any suggestions? This will be in mid-February.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have to watch the snow over those 'top' roads after Pontarlier towards the border at Valorbe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have just driven down today to Taesch via J3 of the A36, around Besancon and down the N57 to Pontarlier. The roads were fine and the traffic was quite reasonable, much better than the last time we went around Besancon. Basically you turn off at J3 and follow signs to Pontarlier and Lausanne.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I prefer to come off A39 at J6 near Dole and head to Pontarlier via Mouchard and Salins les Bains. The traffic can be a bit slow at Pontarlier, but nothing like Besancon. After trying many different routes from Calais to Grimentz, I have found this to be the fastest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've done the route over the Jura a fair few times now and tried several variations on the route. Most recently a couple of weeks ago the SatNav determined route was Dole, Poligny and skirting over the top of Champagnole then quite a stretch on a D road until meeting up with the usual route south of Pontarlier at Les Hopitaux Vieux. I was fully expecting to go via Pontarlier as usual and had planned a stop there and so we had to deviate off the planned route to go there and it was snarled up with traffic as it pretty much always is. On the way back we took this route as planned and it worked really well. Quiet roads and no hold ups. That said parts of this route are quite remote and you need to be well prepared for winter driving. I would want to be on winter tyres and there are some sections where you might need chains. I would fill up around Dole and have food supplies and warm gear in the car. I would think twice about taking this route in bad conditions at night too. Also have a map handy and beware of following the SatNav off the main road, ours gave us two 'shortcuts' on this route both were ok given we had clear conditions but otherwise they would have taken over unploughed roads.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
have always found the road over from Besancon to pontarlier and Lausanne to be speedy and quite a welcome break from motorway driving. only once did I consider avoiding it when it was actively snowing (not dumping to be fair) but it was well cleared and we progressed solidly without chains or even snow tyres (mental slap on the wrist)
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to clarify, I'm sure the major route Dole -Besancon -Pontarlier -Border- Lausanne is always well cleared, it's the D road alternatives across the Jura where I would not be so certain and would maybe modify the route in bad conditions.

Whichever route across, it is indeed a welcome break from the autroute and very scenic, one of those places I'd like to explore more one day Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And the bakery in Besancon (ignore new road, follow the river towards centre, through the tunnel and turn right, 200m on the right just before leaving town) is well worth a visit or even a detour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now Besancon bypass is running, its a lot better.
Pontarlier still a pain, but only 15 mins at worse!
Ive done the N57 about 30 times return now, and have never been held up by weather.
If doing Half term, there is a sneaky trick to get down to the border avoiding 95% of the queue - Rue Des Forges from Jougne - Use google maps to work it out.
HOWEVER if snowy / Icy, be wary - its a minor road with little or no clearing!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
martinperry wrote:
Now Besancon bypass is running, its a lot better.
Pontarlier still a pain, but only 15 mins at worse!
Ive done the N57 about 30 times return now, and have never been held up by weather.
If doing Half term, there is a sneaky trick to get down to the border avoiding 95% of the queue - Rue Des Forges from Jougne - Use google maps to work it out.
HOWEVER if snowy / Icy, be wary - its a minor road with little or no clearing!

If you have a fancy SatNav with traffic updates it will take you this shortcut anyway to avoid the border queue Cool but agree beware in bad conditions if you are not on winter tyres.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for all the tips. We'll take Sarah's general advice:
Quote:

Just to clarify, I'm sure the major route Dole -Besancon -Pontarlier -Border- Lausanne is always well cleared, it's the D road alternatives across the Jura where I would not be so certain and would maybe modify the route in bad conditions.

We have winter tyres/chains/shovel etc... but no snowplough!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
caughtanedge, ...we do this route 4 or 5 times a year. For speed we go besancon bypass, Pontarlier, Jougne, Lausanne on autoroute. We do this section between 2 and 5pm having come from Calais or Arras, and we only have ever had one instance of a queue at the border, and that was avoided by using the side road mentioned above. Waited 15 mins in total. All other times, just gone straight through. We've done this in extreme weather.

I've done the D road option and whilst picturesque, can be isolated and very slow in heavy snow. I've been across the D roads in thick and falling snow on winter tyres, no problem, but it is slow in those conditions. The main road route, as above, is much clearer in extreme weather, due to its character and the activity of ploughs.

Good Hypermarche in Pontalier (off the bypass by Decathlon) with excellent wine and fantastic cheese.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy