Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Woohoo, booked Samoens!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Finally got something booked, and will be heading to Samoens on 16th March for 5 nights. Really looking forward to it. I've never skied in Grand Massif but always wanted to! Are there any Snowheads based here for the season?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Samoens is lovely, well done - and the skiing in the Grand Massif is fantastic in my opinion! Enjoy!! Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Out there now - having a fab time!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, What is your gut feeling on tomorrow's weather and snow conditions? Looking to head out from Geneva in the morning and have not done GM yet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was there a couple of weeks ago, loved it, brilliant ski area - hoping to go back in a few weeks (it'll be the first time I've ever returned to the same ski resort in over 20 years of skiing, that's how much we loved it).

Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maltababy, chalet Giffre, about 300 metres from the bottom of the main gondola. Really looking forward to it. What's the long cascades run like?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, Much better runs to be had...Mephisto n some lovely tree-lined runs into Morillon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ALQ, any in particular? I love long reds and blues for cruising on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, Me too and there are plenty....you'll love Flaine!! Mephisto is a long fast easy red...lovely views too. The blues down to Morillon were great for carving. But I don't remember their names, so you'll just have to try them all wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cascades still closed, presume not enough snow low down. Its a great run but with 3 flatter areas where poling is required.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cascades is good if on a snowmobile. Stunning scenery though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, If Cascades is open when you're there, do it. You get away from the crowds and some of the views are superb. You have to pole it in places as others have indicated but it's well worth doing imv. One of the longest runs there is. You need to get the bus back to Samoens from Sixt (bottom of Cascades) but it's on the pass and doesn't take long.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
billb, yes I will certainly do it when I go, is it closed at the minute because of poor snow, or is it always closed?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, It's often closed due to poor snow conditions lower down, because it's quite low. The bottom (and least attractive/ most difficult) part is a road which can get quite hairy especially when icy or when the weather's warmer there's insufficient snow (there are cannons for when it's cold enough). When open a confident blue run skier can get down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
billb, just how prone are piste closures in Samoens? Ive skied PDS many times and never once have I seen a piste closed, due to lack of snow.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, don't worry about it as you've booked it now Laughing
snow report
sarah, im not worrying, just a general question about piste closures.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, no I know Smile There were a good few PDS piste closures in PDS over New Year though, I've skied Samoens before and I can't imagine it's any worse than anywhere else. Get your wife to take the bus up to Morillon 1100 to meet you on the snow front there, there are a couple of nice bars/restaurants and it'd be a nice place for her to sit and watch skiers on a sunny day snowHead
snow conditions
sarah, thanks for the info. How far is the bottom of the Samoens gondola, to the lifts at Morrillion driving?
ski holidays
sarah, if she takes the Grand Massif Express gondola, is there any bars restaurants at the top of it?

What about the top of the Vercland gondola?

In Morillon, where the red piste comes down directly under the gondola, are there any bars at the bottom of that piste where it meets the gondola?
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Cascades is exceptional because it's so low at he bottom. Generally, other pistes will be open unless it's very windy and lifts are off or snow is unusually poor. I've only ever been based in Flaine so can't comment about Samoens/ Morillon pistes. Grand Massif Express takes you to a middle station area with restaurants so suitable for pedestrians with suitable footwear (boots).
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, Morillon is quite low and I believe the lower red under the Gondola isn't always skiable - if it is, you end up in Morillon village so you'd find a bar/cafe there. Might be worth posting on GM snow conditions thread - carroz and stevothesaddler know the area well and frequently post.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, I've only been once and it was a while ago, but I reckon about 15mins drive up to Morillon 1100 (not the village), that is where I thought she could meet you. That piste you speak of I think goes all the way down to the village and as billb says might not be skiable. Yes there are places to meet at the top of the Grand Massif Express.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info guys. I will look into it.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, that's where we stayed, you'll have a fantastic time - say hi! to Sam and the girls from us (we were part of a party of 12 4 - 8 jan for my husbands 40th and had the chalet to ourselves) tried to book again for mid February but think our trip advisor praise has booked the chalet up, now we're stuck for somewhere to stay! Great Irish bar across the road and Sam or somebody else from the chalet will drive you to the main lifts (although the bus stop is right outside the chalet too, so really easy to get about). We had a large dump of snow on the Sat night we got there so the skiing was really good, but I think the cascades was closed when we were there. Have fun, I'm really jealous now Smile
snow report
maltababy, that's great to hear you had a lovely time out there and at the same chalet. Is the Irish bar on the roundabout? Any other places very close to venture out to rating and drinking wise? Did you use the in house ski gear?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Yes we all hired from the chalet no problems with any of the gear, my husband and I have our own boots so took those with us, but the skis we hired were excellent. We hired Adv (me) and Adv+ for him - no problems. Can't praise the service from the staff at the chalet enough, nothing was too much trouble - best hospitality we've had for years (although to be fair we have spent the last 8 years skiing in Austria just to get the full days of ski school for our daughter!!), we've skied all over and even after just 4 days we're really keen to return to this area, first time I've felt like that since I visited Livigno in Italy many years ago.

Yes the Irish bar is just across the road from the chalet over the roundabout. We didn't find any other bars during the evenings (although we didn't venture too far - staggering distance!!!, spent the Wednesday morning before we left having a wander around the town and there seems to be a few little bars dotted about, but the Irish bar provided a good Apres Ski atmosphere for us, the quiz night was packed and good fun (Tues night), not sure what else they have going on there, but the chalet staff are really knowledgeable about everything that's going on so they'll let you know the places to be.

There's a well stocked mini supermarket just before the Irish bar so you can stock up on any 'picnic' items for lunch, although we also found the restaurants reasonably priced when eating on the slopes. Chalet also provide a pack up if you like your sarnies made up ready.

If you love it, please don't book for next year until we have booked our week, we're having trouble getting booked in! Wink
snow report
There's two restaurants at the top of the Grand Massif gondola. Big one on the left as you come out the gondola is self service and often very busy. Smaller one on the right (and back down almost under the gondola) much nicer. It's also possible to walks across to another small gondola that takes you up to Samoens 1600, which has some more bars and restaurants.

If the Cascades run is open then go there early. Do the run then enjoy the pistes in Sixt. It's like going back to the 1970s with a couple of very slow chairs but the runs are pretty down through the trees and will probably be very quiet. Couple of good eating options in the village, which is accessible by bus from Samoens for a non-skier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy