Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
on a slalom course why do they every so many gates place a blue and a red pole close together and the skier goes round both on the same side?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, it's called a verticale and it is two or more gates (a gate is pair of poles) vertically below each other, with no horizontal offset. In your photo the gate is the pair of red poles that the skier is passing through, and she will be quickly tipping on to her new edges to pass through the next gate (which will be a pair of blue poles). It tests the skier's ability to get from edge to edge very quickly and cleanly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Thanks

Just watching a recording from Flachau from last week and every time I watch slalom I
find asking myself this question.

I see now with the reference to the gates being set vertical. I love watching the racing, have it all recorded from Eurosport HD.

Looking forward to next weekend (25th Jan) HAHNENKAMM DOWNHILL on the Streif Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-01-14 11:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, This is usually at the top or end of a combination (or I think a control gate), where you have to put two poles even on a single pole course.

I sometimes think this is part of a "tromp d'oeil" effect course setters like to use to confuse competitiors, of which the delayed or "banana" gate is the most baffling (there has to be one, but no more than three of these), but perhaps a trained course setter wil come along to explain in more detail, or will have done by the time I finish this.

It is explained at length in the regulations for slalom events page 85 of the FIS competition rules
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/AlpineSkiing/03/29/54/ICR_16.07.13.clean_English.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy