Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using smith iO X goggles as otg goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to sort out whether you can really use smith iOx goggles as over the glasses goggles - I need a cat 3 or 4 otg and the io x has the most flexible lens system. Anyone out there with direct experience of this? I can't find a stockist to go and try them which is a pain. Any help really welcome.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 18-01-14 17:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just purchased the Smith I/ox turbo fan goggles, yes, it can use as over the glass goggles.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skimak, many thanks - good fit or a bit marginal? current looking at IOX and Oakley Canopy OTGs....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, sorry to ask the stupid, re your question 'good fit or marginal?' - doesn't that depend on the size of your glasses and the width of your face (s.m.L etc) compared to the s.m.L face goggle targeted audience.
I used a medium sized, prescriptive sunglasses in an Oakley wisdom goggle and even though i have a medium sized face on a med / large goggle, they were tight.
As you have said the goggles are OTG type, therefore i'd fully expect that in 95% of all cases the fit over the goggle would be acceptable.
However, i'd also expect that in only 10% of all cases would you chance upon a perfect fit all around your face AND a perfect fit to your helmet to ( if using one). Personally, it took me quite a time to select my goggles, in the end i went for a medium low cost brand -Bolle Nova with a prescriptive optical insert. I have a couple of different lens tints - all Bolle Nova frames.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tim Heeney, ...of course you are indeed right - I've been using otgs for about two decades and thank goodness they have come on - the way I get an optimum fit is by having a few pairs of very narrow width prescription glasses which are of a shape which maximises vision and lay flat and narrow on my face (one pair is in fact a pair of youth's glasses which work very well) - the problem with the iOX is that smith say that they are prescription but the photos suggest that they have not built recesses into the foam at the side, which can be a real issue. I use Bolle, CEBE, Smith and Scott otgs - all work briliantly re fit after trying them on in shops, but they are all cat 1 and cat 2. Can't find anyone in London who have iOX in stock, which is a pain - smith seem to be saying 'they are not otg specific but they do work'. In the past I have tried and rejected certain Bolle and CEBE models for poor fit, and don't want to make a mistake in ordering the iOX....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy