Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

broken arm-when can he ski?

Poster: A snowHead
My 13 year old son is in a cast for a broken radius. He was skied into. No complications, bone is aligned properly and did not need any surgery. He is in a cast for 3 weeks. My question is when can he ski again? Is there an orthopedic on this site? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one has any ideas??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd think the kind folk at the hospital who put the cast on would be better qualified to answer this Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When he is cleared to by a doctor handling his case. Anything less than 6 weeks could be dodgy in my experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect that no one would be willing to give advice, on the off chance that there was a problem if he did ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with all of the above -I know when I broke my collar bone, the advice was 12 weeks before i could resume full weight bearing and playing golf
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for replies...dr said 6 weeks minimum i was just checking to see what others with similar injuries were told
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiingfamily, when my daughter broke her scaphoid she was told 6 weeks minimum - and was then in plaster for a further 6 weeks - that's a problematical bone, apparently, because of lack of blood supply but it meant she missed the Tall Ships Race she was going to do, 8 weeks after the injury (fell playing basketball, nothing dramatic).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiingfamily, my son was in a cast for 2.5 weeks, the orthopod looking after him let him go on a school outward bounds type trip straightaway when the cast came off, he wore a splint just for the trip. He was allowed to do the zip wire as he was desperate to do it and the orthopod gave permission for him to as long as it was a harness type rather than hang on to a bar which it was. However he was advised not to do things where there was a high likelihood of falling and breaking it again. He specifically said no rugby, no cricket, no judo etc for approx 6-8 weeks. I don't know if this is any help to you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's usually 6 weeks I think. My friend broke the same bone last year, and was back on skis a week after his cast was removed, 4 weeks since the injury. But he is a very strong skier and an adult so made his own decision. Plus he lives in Switzerland so doesn't have to deal with all the travel insurance stuff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree for a young person 6 weeks is the minimum time for the arm to heal . This is based on the experiences of children of my friends who have broken arms whilst skiing with us...........but definitely would get it checked again before skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw a child competing in a slalom race with one arm in plaster, skiing with one pole and clearing all of the gates with her "good" hand. I don't think that was quite what her doctor would have approved of, but she made it down the course without falling. She was a very strong skier and took it very easy, so I think the risk was quite low. She wanted to finish the race because it was part of a series and she had to complete a minimum number of races to be eligible for the overall prize.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyperkub, the orthopod who treated my son confided that his own son had broken his wrist skiing some years ago and between them they had agreed not to tell mum and to just strap it up a bit so that he could do his end of week ski school tests the next day and get his medal Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, my husband has had keyhole surgery for a miniscus tear (not severe) he is a runner and cyclist and has probably been doing races with this for years, but as his knee kept swelling after each race recently he went to see the doc. Since surgery ((18th Jan2014) everthing seems good, he is back to cycling on his training bike Elite voltara I think, clocking up quite a few miles and seems fine, we are due to go to Zell am See on 8th March he see's the doc on 4th Feb and he thinks he should be fine to ski(fingers and toes crossed), is there anyone out there who has had the same and can tell me how soon they managed to ski? Many thanks
snow conditions
Sorry should have said 18th december for his surgery.
ski holidays
I broke my wrist and was told 6 weeks minimum, I skied a week after the cast was off (which was 4.5weeks) with a wrist guard and am skiing okay now 7 weeks in but it does ache if I have to pole or use a lot of drag lifts.. Put it this way, I know I haven't done any more damage by skiing but it is annoying that you think it will feel perfect once the cast is off and then it's not. The actual break is not the problem it was more the muscle wastage from having the arm immobilised in a weird position (had to re-allign to avoid op) for so long. Important to do physio however tedious it seems as this is crucial to build up strength and avoid long term probs. As I say, my experience is related to a broken wrist but still sort of relevant I hope.
snow report
Mrs Ducky wrote:
Hi, my husband has had keyhole surgery for a miniscus tear (not severe) he is a runner and cyclist and has probably been doing races with this for years, but as his knee kept swelling after each race recently he went to see the doc. Since surgery ((18th Jan2014) everthing seems good, he is back to cycling on his training bike Elite voltara I think, clocking up quite a few miles and seems fine, we are due to go to Zell am See on 8th March he see's the doc on 4th Feb and he thinks he should be fine to ski(fingers and toes crossed), is there anyone out there who has had the same and can tell me how soon they managed to ski? Many thanks

My husband did his ACL and tore his meniscus 2 seasons ago (yes we're a right pair!) and it was a good 6 months before he could run and cycle but his injury sounds more severe than your husband's. My husband can ski fine now but his knee has never been the same since the meniscus tear (and he does think it is this rather than the ACL causing ongoing probs) so he wears a brace to ski unless he's only going out for a short time. I think, as a minimum, your husband should do the same for the first trip out especially if he's not running again yet.
ski holidays
Thanks julie, no he is not running yet (although he has just signed up to do the Salford Triatholon in August!!!) Can bend the knee fine but the pounding with the running is still felt. Hopefully we have another 5 weeks to go so along with physio, exercises and my threats we are both hoping he should be fine, it's also my excuse not to go on the black runs both he and my son make me do, I will be the one waiting for the lifts saying" take it easy we will just do the blues and easy reds this time untilyour fully fit," then early finish and hit the apres!!!
ski holidays
Ha ha, my husband did his first ever GREEN run after his injury which I never thought I'd see and haven't seen again (it was only the once and actually harder on the knees than reds and blacks since) From my husband's experience, I think he is mainly avoiding moguls and jumps compared to previously and I know he ached more from doing off piste all day yday than he would have done previously but he's still managing to ski the whole mountain and enjoy it and I hope your husband can do too. My husband was running a lot over the last year but one 10k he pushed it too hard and he feels the running was doing more harm than good overall due to impact but the road biking is brilliant rehab. Let us know how you get on - good I hope.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy