Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Levi, first week of february. Temperature tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, we've been skiing for years now and have seen plus 20 (EOSB) down to minus 20 and below (Whistler, Kicking Horse). The problem we have is that Mrs NBT increasingly suffers from the cold, so I'm a little wary of going to the Arctic Circle - certainly we can help by layering up, but does anyone have any real workd experience of just how cold it gets? I'm particularly wary as there seem to be mostly surface lifts which suggest to me that ther's a problem with winds?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surface lifts are very common in Scandinavia, it's mainly because most resorts dont have a really big vettical drop. So you tend to get a lot of surface lifts spread out here and there. Forecast for this weekend in Levi is -25 but the week following it will get milder to -10. Not much wind. The first week of february is the week after that for which I don't have a forecast but if it carries on the same you will be fine.

M
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, when i went it was -27 to start off with. It was cold (like slightly difficult to breathe when you first stepped out of the airport cold). Soon got used to it though and it was easy enough to keep the body warm but I did find the cold wind on the face - which the balaclavas everyone was wearing did little to block and ice was forming around mouth etc - pretty harsh and I definitely took a lot of hot drink breaks. By the end of the week, at -11 we were building up a sweat in all our layers and having to strip some of them off and then -7 felt positively balmy. I was there for a wedding with a big group of friends so to be honest skiing came second to celebrating/drinking/hangovers ( Embarassed ) but we had a really good time and had the most amazing display of Northern Lights on a nighttime skidoo safari thing, although that was at the beginning of the week at -27 and I have never, ever been as cold and I did feel slightly delirious by the end of it! This was first week of March in 2006.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to ask why anyone would ski here unless they were in the area for other reasons (like I was). It gets pretty damn cold, -38C when I was there: eyelashes freeze instantly, skis stuggle to work very well, cars are idled around the clock. I called it a day at about -25C. Actual skiing wasn't too bad in -25 (and I suffer badly from cold hands) due to the athletic nature of it as long as you have zero exposed skin and stay below the tree line, ANY wind and it is game over and don't hold onto poles etc too tightly or your hands will start to get cold. The skiing there is pretty poor, Levi doesn't even have the height to qualify as a mountain if I remember correctly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc wrote:
I have to ask why anyone would ski here unless they were in the area for other reasons (like I was). .

1. Guaranteed snow!! No worries about fohn winds, slushy snow etc

2. If you go at the right time (especially mid January) the slopes are virtually empty.

3. Ski hire and lift prices are cheap

4. Some of the learner slopes (that I have seen) are excellant for beginners

Personally I wouldn't go there to ski only. But I can see why many people who want to try out skiing would go there
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're considering it a a break wher we get to go skiing, rather than a ski trip - we'll have a the chance to see the northern lights and so on, rather than just going somewhere to clock up the miles
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, I thought it was a great experience. As I said, I was there for a wedding (which was lovely, bride and father arrived in reindeer sleigh, gorgeous food cooked on open fire in a yurt type thing out in a big snow field somewhere). Beautiful walks through forests, bit of skiing, Northern Lights, very friendly people in the pubs. It's definitely a break where you can do a bit of skiing rather than "just" a ski trip and it does feel different being there - I was actually working in Gstaad at the time and it still felt like a lovely holiday going to Levi from the Alps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget that in very cold weather, sweat is bad too. Go for under layer with good wicking properties to keep moisture away from the skin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy