Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SELVA, Grande Guerra route please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello again
Now we've done the Hidden Valley (and thank you all for the route) we would like to do the Great War route. Can anyone tell me the route to take from Selva please? I hear theres a piste map but so far Ive lucked out at finding one.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've done quite a bit of it already Smile
Ski out to Marmolada, and you'll have done most of the rest.

The itineraries are here:
http://www.altabadia.org/en/winter_holiday_dolomites/dolomites_skiing_itineraries
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Piste map on the Dolomiti Superski website: http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/documents/pdf/2479_grande_guerra_a.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is a long day with a couple of buses - catch the first lift out of Selva and it is doable (I have never yet risked including Marmolada, but if you are very fast and don't mind missing lunch - and the queues are kind I think it could be done....)

Head from Selva to Arabba - either way possible round Sella Ronda - probably quickest to go clockwise via Corvara, up Boe bubble.
From Arabba take the two stage gondola (signposted Marmolada) and get off at mid-station. Two chairs over the top and then ski down to Malga Ciapela where the 3-stage cable car goes up to Marmolada. You can get there in about 1 3/4 hours. If you are feeling brave on timing, head up the cable cars and ski back down from the top back to Malga Ciapela - if no queues, and you ski it non-stop, will take about 45 mins to get back to Malga Ciapela.

You then have a choice. You can ski down the Sottoguda Gorge (worth it if you have time for the amazing ice falls and climbers). To find the entrance, you need to cross the road where you stop by the Malga Ciapela cable car and follow the track (on skis) - fairly obvious, and in previous years there have been signs pinned to buildings to Serrai de Sottoguda. When you emerge from the other end of the gorge you have a walk through Sottoguda (about 10 mins depending on snow conditions) back to the main road, where you can catch a bus to Alleghe (about 25 mins) - this used to be free, but I read somewhere that you now have to pay €2 for this.

Alternatively, if short of time, you can catch the same bus from Malga Ciapela. The bus stop is not immediately obvious - you should follow the road pas the cable car station and turn right downhill by the hotel. Turn left after the hotel to the main road, where you will find the bus stop. I think it runs about every 30 mins - you can find the timetable here: http://www.skicivetta.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=19&lang=english

At Alleghe, go up the gondola and then the new gondola. Ski down to a drag, up that and then ski down to Pescul. You need to catch another bus to Fedare from here - it goes from the car park and is pretty obvious. Cost €4.5. Timetable from same place as above. If you have time before the bus, the Civetta ski area looks nice and you could maybe take a longer route to Pescul and get a bit more skiing in.

From Fedare, go up the rickety old chair. At the op, head back under the chair you have just come up, and keep to the right, to a short chair that goes up to the Col Galina. From there you can ski down (via a couple of chairs) to the Lagazuoi cable car - there are a few flat bits on this section.

You are now back at the Hidden Valley and you will know the way from here.

It is a fun day - but long and you will be at the mercy of the lift queues. It is doable, but I have never been brave enough to fit in Marmolada as well as the Sottoguda Gorge - but have ended up with plenty of time.

Have fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys for the very detailed advice, will make an attempt to do as much as pos tomorrow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
deejaybee wrote:
Thanks guys for the very detailed advice, will make an attempt to do as much as pos tomorrow

Wax up those skis...you need to be quick to do it from Selva!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rg1, thank you, great description which I have printed off for next week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy