Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring a Ski Guide in Chamonix or Val d'Isere - Recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for worthy guide services in these areas for expert off-piste.

Also, how easy is it to join a group? A guide for just one or two skiers is quite expensive. Is it easy to team up with others?

Any other protocol for ski guides would be appreciated too.

I'm a U.S. newbie to this. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tahoe_Ski,

may I be the first to welcome you (it's 3 in the morning here).

There really will be much better advice than mine along with recommendations but to whet you're appetite.

Joining a group will be absolutely no problem and it's a great way to meet people. You are assumed to be good enough, simply by signing up, you will get very little ski instruction, if any. You will get to ski stuff where the only thing you can hear is you're own group . . .

In terms of protocol, Americans are renowned as big tippers and loud, so just try not to be a 'typical American' and that will go a long way. Guiding is not that expensive compared to the States (due to the 'make a group' thing) and there is a much greater assumption of signing up to the risk.

Protocol. The guide will probably drop you in to some small, off the beaten track, restaurant. It will be superb. You will be expected, between the group, to pick up the cost of guides meal. Apart from that and that's it to be honest, a reasonable tip will be appreciated but don't go over the top. Believe it or not, this will gain you a lot of credibility. Tip a ridiculous amount and you will be tarred with the 'American' brush. Tip a 'normal' amount and perhaps offer to buy everyone a drink, the difference is huge. Any person worth knowing will make the effort to buy you a drink back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have just had a similar question. See this thread, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10619&highlight=

As Nick says, joining a group in Val d'Isere should be no problem. Several ski schools do groups of up to six people. The ones I know start when the lifts open (9am or 8:45am late in the season) and ski for four hours. Booking before you travel is worthwhile.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tahoe_Ski, there is a really helpful article on the vallee blanche linked here:

http://www.ifyouski.com/Resorts/Country/France/Chamonix/Valleeblanche1/

There is a fairly long list of guides in the "where" section. They will obviously do other routes than just the vallee blanche.

I tried all of the numbers in April, but found it impossible to join another group and in the end the only solution for us to do the vallee blanche was to hire a guide for the day. I think it was 200 euros. The guy that we had was great. I have forgotton who we got him through, but he did also work independantly and I took his card for future use. He could be emailed on frederic.brehe@wanadoo.fr or tel 00 33 450 530877

There has been a lot of really helpful discussion here on the vallee blanche and it would be worth doing a search on one of those two words.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.M. me, will get you the best, no ego guarenteed. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How much do you tip a guide?

% wise

In the US, we do not have healtcare, unemployment, etc -- it's fend for yourself.

Usually, American tips are 15% -- sometimes less 10%, often more - like 20% in any city restuarant.

I understand the paying for lunch part. I like my money. I do not want to over-tip.

Thanks -- if you venture out here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tahoe_Ski,

Chamonix

Either see a local like SMALLZOOKEEPER who would know people personally or go the guides office just off the square in Chamonix. You can't really miss it, everyone knows where it is.
Visit there the 1st day to see what they have got planned as I am not too sure how easy it is in Chamonix to join another group.

The top guides in the valley will carry UAIGM accreditation which normally means they are mountaineers first and skiers second.
In this type of terrain I would want it this way round. Other guides need a really good referral.

If you go near the vallee blanche - which if you haven't been before you really should, choose between the tourist path which everyone calls the vallee blanche, which is spectacular only for the scenery, and one of the variants. A good skier should be looking for the Envers du plan or Grand Envers du plan IMV.

For a 1st visit do this and maybe Pas de charve... and they are only the beginning.. I'm sure SZK could tell you a whole lot more..

You can probably google these routes under Chamonix guides etc..

When are you out there..?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I;ll be Chamonoic Feb 3-8 -- also want to hit Verbier too. Frankly, I want to do the Vallee Blanche YES!! A tougher version....but I think Verbier is better from Les Grandes Montets. Been there once...want to do Verbier.

Any suggestions. Hear of Adrenaline.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look - no Ebola. SARS or Birdflu.....never been infected.

Be real people...no one will takl about anything?b
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been a long long time since I have been to Verbier, I can only talk about Mont Gele which is a lift link intineraire, short and sweet in good snow. I have always meant to do the back of Mont Fort where you need someones who knows. I think Parlor knows the resort well and should be along soon... or PM him..!!

Bear with us its early and the skiers arec just geting into work after being out to the alpes all weekend.. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As said before in Chamonix try the Guides' Office next to the church but I think they do not organise groups (for single skiers), you hire a guide and then it's up to you how many of you ski with him (subject to the max allowed).

Check out this site
http://www.chamonixguiding.com/

The biggest guiding company in Val D'Isere Top Ski. It's very easy to join one of their groups depending on your ability. I have used them several times and I can highly recommend them, they ususally do half days (9-1pm).
http://www.topskival.com/

I also heard good things about these guys in VdI:
http://www.alpineexperience.com/

Wrt tipping etiquette, many restaurants do not seem to charge the guide when he brings in a large group of customers but you need to check. if they charge then it's polite for the group to pay his share. Also when having drinks the guide usually gets invited.

I usually tip the guide at the end of the week (if I was happy with his service) around 20 Euros.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can second Alpine Experience in Val. Top Ski also very good in admittedly limited experience by me...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy