Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BEST BUY FOR A BEGGINER

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am a novice skier and want to buy a set of skis and boots to use at Aviemore this year.
Im 12.5 stone, 5"10.

I don't want to spend a fortune on gear as i am just new to it, so i was hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spend your money an getting the right boots first. See a good fitter and trust their recommendations as to which boot to get.

After that, have a look on the T K Maxxs website for some cheap skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the heads up with TKMaxx Mosha!
I have seen these skis on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storm-Aurora-Skis-173cm-/181300227377?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item2a3655ed31 and wonder if they would be a decent buy for a beginner? Radius 18m on them, is that a bit much?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are a mid fat all mountain ski, you might be better off looking at a more piste focused ski to start, though I'd say spend your cash on getting good boots that will last many seasons and rent skis, what suits you now in terms of skis may be dull and boring by the end of this season if you manage to go skiing regularly!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Those skis look a bit on the long side for you as a beginner. And remember if you got them you'd have to buy bindings then pay to get the bindings fitted. Reckon you'd be better off looking at fairly basic piste orientated skis at about 160 to 165cm long with rail mounted bindings. Easier to get adjusted to fit your boots and easier to sell on when you want to move on to more advanced skis.

Banks in Perth are good for fitting boots and have a great range for such a wee shop. They also usually have some cheap new skis and some secondhand skis, so could be worth going to have a chat with them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not rent a few times? When you get better at skiing your requirements will change. If you feel the need get some boots and rent skis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Why not rent a few times? When you get better at skiing your requirements will change. If you feel the need get some boots and rent skis.

+1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rental options in Scotland are mostly pretty dire and if you're going fairly regularly then a second hand pair of skis probably makes more sense - certainly saves you the hassle of getting your rental skis on a Saturday morning. If you buy cheap then you can re-sell with little loss, so probably cheaper that doing a few weekend hires.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Rental options in Scotland are mostly pretty dire and if you're going fairly regularly then a second hand pair of skis probably makes more sense - certainly saves you the hassle of getting your rental skis on a Saturday morning.

Yes indeed, if rental options are poor and he's aiming to go a lot, that makes sense. I still often ski on a pair of skis I bought for £100 five years ago. But the OP should probably aim for shorter piste skis, not mid-fat all-mountain jobs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for the comments guys, when you say a piste ski, what dimensions should i be looking at for a piste ski?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
110-70-95 165 no more than 170 length.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sticking with Storms something like this http://www.tkmaxx.com/womens-ski+snowboarding/smoke-169cm-skis/invt/02028427&bklist=icat,4,shop,17,3101 110-68-97 and 169cm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guys, what about these for starters? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-k-i-s-C-a-r-v-i-n-g-Head-Peak-69-163cm-Good-Condition-/331108594048?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item4d179c3180
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy