Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Severe Broken Ankle - How to ease back into skiing and what skis to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Height: 1.82M
Weight: 82Kg
Skill level prior to injury: intermediate/expert

I broke my ankle a few years back and it can still be painful to this day including loss of range of movement. That was the last time I was on skis and looking at easing back into my favourite sport which I'm really missing.

My last skis were Rossignol 90 RPM Oversize:

Length: 174cm
Tip: 109mm
Waist: 68mm
Tail: 92mm
Radius:19m

Pre-injury I mostly used to carve on-piste with the odd excursion into minor off-piste but the skis weren't really designed for any deep powder at 68mm waist.

What kind of skies should I be investing in to build up my confidence again? Seems like skis have moved on quite a bit as anything above 70mm was fat but now seems the norm lol, thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sentinel, Do you have boot you are comfortable with? I can imagine it can be a problem after a badly broken ankle. If you have good fitting boots maybe the best thing would be to hire skis for your return to the slopes as you will probably quickly recover your old form.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, good advice. Yes I have my Atomic Hawx 100 boots, I find them very comfy apart from when leaning right and left makes the ankle strain. I'm hoping regular stretching as I haven't used my ankle in this way for some time so will take a while for the body to remember and get used to it.

For the ski, I'm thinking I should look at starting back with either a Head Shape 2, or Salomon X Wing 500. Although never having ridden either they strike me as a fairly good and forgiving set to build up my confidence and range of movements. Anyone can recommend these or other beginner skis?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I shattered my ankle back in 2001, (9 screws and a plate) choice of skis isint really what you should be concerned about, boots is your main concern, I use Salomon Equipts, 110 flex, you want a stiff boot and you might have to have it molded to your ankle, I ended up cutting a part of the boot liner out so its not pushing against the screws and had my boots canted because your gait has probably changed since you had your surgery, my boots fit awesome and I can ski just about anything and they feel like wearing slippers! I have Elan Amphibio waveflex 14s 168cm and they are the best skis I have ever used!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shawnjovi, sorry to read about your ankle but thanks for your great advice. Comforting to read that others have also been able to ski after a broken ankle. In a similar situation to yourself with screws etc.. so I take on-board your advice about focusing on the boots, which surprisingly didn't really cross my mind and should have been the main focus. I agree 100+ flex is definitely a consideration.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sentinel, I dislocated mine in Nov 2012. Skied again (carefully !) April 2013, back on telemarks in August. Anything that gives you range of movement, and balance is good. So a wobble board or Skia trainer worthwhile investments. I would not worry overmuch about skis --- they are easily the least important.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fracture dislocation of ankle 2000, skiied 15 months later. Agree with most about skis, didnt feel I was any worse off and seem to remember I made points on my first race back. Boots was an absolute pain though, my old lange boots were agony and have since gone softer and softer on boots and still havent had something as comfortable as pre injury. Off to solutions for feet later in the month to hopefully sort that out though!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a very similar injury about 15yrs ago. I found skiing did not cause any difficulty because the limited range of movement is still more than the movement of ski boots. I also have quite a stiff boot done up tight in the cuff so there is very little load/ pain on the ankle.
I have to have my own boots now though because one ankle bone sticks out about an inch more than the other and hire boots were agony from pressure on the bone. Got that sorted and no probs.
I guess really/really fat skis might put more load on the ankle than more moderate ones due to the extra lever arm, but only if you ski them on hard piste all the time which would be daft!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advice, It was very helpful to read others in similar situation. It turns out it's actually easier to ski than it is to walk once recovered from an ankle injury.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the same considerations ahead of me having broken Tibia and fibula and had a rod and screws inserted in the former in January. My boots were already very old and lining packed down so I had to do them up quite tight. Not sure if I should wait and see if I can ski with the screws in the ankle (and cut the lining of my old boots if not) or try to have them taken out in about October, so I am recovered in time to train and ski.
I also need new skis since not only have they got very flabby but they were stored near a radiator for 2 months after my accident and one has warped (camber reversed in front of the binding). Not sure if this is reversible if I apply heat while clamping it in the right position.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How near the ankle was the fracture? If it's away from the actual joint you're probably heading towards a speedy recovery. My injury was near the talus, so when to try skiing was a big decision but I waited to have the screws taken out, just because I didn't want to jinx anything and TBH my focus at the time was not so much skiing but more about improving limited range of movement post-op which unfortunately has never come back to it's natural state, and a stiff ankle means daily pain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy