Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

current conditions in Austria unusual??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have only skied in the last 5 years. We go to the same area about 30 mins from salzburg every year. Suits our needs. We were there over Christmas and even though in the lead up I was worried about the volume of snow. All turned out well and we had an adequate amount of snow. At the moment things arent looking pretty on the webcams and we are back again in 7 weeks.

Just wondering do January conditions like this happen often and do I need to look at going on ski trips that are booked at shorter notice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was skiing in Austria at the weekend.
It was white from top to bottom of the resort, and all perfectly skiable snow, in resorts that some people refer to as "low". I saw 1 stone on the piste, and maybe about 1 square meter of grass, but that wasn't even proper piste tbh (was a link back from a restaurant to piste).

7 weeks is nearly 2 months, covering the bulk of the middle of the season. At this point we're not even 7 weeks in to the season for most resorts (only the highest and glacier resorts). I reckon there will be snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At christmas we came across a lot of stones and lots of tufts of grass appearing.

What resort did you ski in this weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:
Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller.

Those aren't "low". The resorts may be, but you don't normally expect to ski down to them.

The Ziller valley is where they brought us in 2007 when there was no snow in many resorts
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2waterford wrote:
I have only skied in the last 5 years. We go to the same area about 30 mins from salzburg every year. Suits our needs. We were there over Christmas and even though in the lead up I was worried about the volume of snow. All turned out well and we had an adequate amount of snow. At the moment things arent looking pretty on the webcams and we are back again in 7 weeks.

Just wondering do January conditions like this happen often and do I need to look at going on ski trips that are booked at shorter notice.

Not "often", but by no means unknown.

It was possibly worse in 2007 (for a week), but has not been anywhere near that bad any year since.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2waterford wrote:

This season has been very unusual IME.

Short periods of warmth and föhn happen in most seasons (and make little difference other than softening the snow for a day or two), but other than last night (which still wasn't that much) we have't had meaningful snow for about 6 weeks!! And that looks set to continue for a while... The southern Alps are really reaping the goods this season! If we hadn't had lots of October/November snow, resorts would really be struggling.

The difference last season was we had lots of snow before and after the warm up at Christmas.

Everything is back to being white again for now, but we really need the jet stream to shift and start sending storms from the north again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
200km directly south of Salzburg on the border to Italy is a resort named Nassfeld. This resort has had 70cm of fresh snow in the last 24hours and has a 250cm base.

The cold spells and warm winds tend to out of the way once we get into mid Jan and most places have ample snow. More often than not West Austria has plently of snow, sometimes the East gets more snow. Up to now the South of Austria (and Northern Italy) have seen the most snow.

I suspect the winter will "break" and most resorts will have snow on and off piste. it was similar in Jan 2009, then it dumped loads. Some places had up to 700cm base that season Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
200km directly south of Salzburg on the border to Italy is a resort named Nassfeld. This resort has had 70cm of fresh snow in the last 24hours and has a 250cm base.

The cold spells and warm winds tend to out of the way once we get into mid Jan and most places have ample snow. More often than not West Austria has plently of snow, sometimes the East gets more snow. Up to now the South of Austria (and Northern Italy) have seen the most snow.

I suspect the winter will "break" and most resorts will have snow on and off piste. it was similar in Jan 2009, then it dumped loads. Some places had up to 700cm base that season Shocked

Was that season good later on? I am going in mid April (though not to Austria)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
DB wrote:

Yes I hit something under the snow on the weekend that it started dumping (Sod's law). Ended up on crutches for a couple of months but was still able to ski Zell am See with good conditions in April 2009. Of course every year is different and it could remain so, but we live in hope.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
DB wrote:

That season was great, but we also had a load of early snow. I arrived in St Anton on 23rd November, the day after a major storm, and was hiking thigh deep powder from the BOTTOM of the Galzig until the lifts opened a week later. I don't remember that January being bad though; scored several good powder days IIRC.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy