Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SW All Terrain Course-which ski(s)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

This time in 3 weeks I'll be in Tignes on a Snoworks course. I've paid for carriage and will be taking my trusted Head Magnums-which on piste I love. I also have a pair of Line Blends (100mm waist) and have a mate who's kindly offered to lend me any of his many pairs including some more all mountain based 80's 85's. I've only used the lines for about 8 days in Whistler when it was very hard packed in the morning and slushy in the afternoon-they were great off piste and in the slush but much harder work on ice/hard packed pistes.

It's an all terrain course so depending on conditions will do a bit of everything although my hope is to really get into the off piste. What would you take? Drop the Lines and take a pair of my mates all mountain skis or stick with the Lines and Heads and see what I turn up to? I'm 6'3" and just under 17st so while I love the Heads for carving on piste I tend to just sink when I venture off piste! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bene, my first choice of go anywhere ski is the HEAD iTitan, on my third pair now, even better this year as they're a bit lighter, a bit wider and have a slight rocker.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, I'm always on the look out for a second hand pair of Titans as I believe they pretty much handle the same as the Magnum on piste (I've demo'd some but it was in a fridge) but have that bit of extra width to be a better choice as an all moutntain ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bene,

The skis snoworks hire out are salomon Q90's or Q98's which hopefully will give you an indication of the type of skis they prefer clients to be on.

The idea of the course is that you will ski all the mountain including off piste if the conditions are suitable. Suitable doesn't mean fresh powder but what ever there is subject to avalanche risks etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stewart woodward, That's useful to know so will take a look at the specs-are you the chap who worked/works for SW? Should have probably done the research before paying for the carriage.....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bene, Yep
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
q90s are

Geometry: 130mm / 88mm / 116mm (For 169cm Length)
Turning Radius: 15.5 metres (For 169cm Length)

q98 is

Geometry: 131mm / 96mm / 117mm (For 172cm Length)
Turning Radius: 18.8 metres (For 172cm Length)

2014 Head Titan is as follows, I believe the previous years were 78mm, I've found my 78mm Titans much better than expected off piste

Sidecut: 133mm-80mm-111mm
Radius: 14.3 Metres (For 170cm length)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
Bene,

The skis snoworks hire out are salomon Q90's or Q98's which hopefully will give you an indication of the type of skis they prefer clients to be on.

The idea of the course is that you will ski all the mountain including off piste if the conditions are suitable. Suitable doesn't mean fresh powder but what ever there is subject to avalanche risks etc.

What would they/you suggest for the Snoworks Off Piste course in Tignes ?

Thx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it were me I'd be asking snoworks directly what they recommend for the current & forecast conditions!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^ erm - but I m not going with them Embarassed but with the sworn enemies of some snowheads Shocked . Normally I think I d just take my 114mm but in these conditions thinking my 98mm. Anyway its 3 weeks out and they are QK'd so could take both. Never ski'd EK before so not sure... Problem is too many skis...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mishmash wrote:
^^ erm - but I m not going with them Embarassed but with the sworn enemies of some snowheads Shocked

Who Puzzled

I am no expert on skis, and don't even recognise the name of lots of skis mentioned here, but I would suggest you ski on a ski you are happy with whatever the width underfoot. It is def easier with wider skis off piste.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward wrote:
mishmash wrote:
^^ erm - but I m not going with them Embarassed but with the sworn enemies of some snowheads Shocked

Who Puzzled

Whisper it very quietly - the SCGB ...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I reckon I'll sink whatever coz I'm fat...... Toofy Grin

I've been called I look like a fridge on skis too!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mishmash wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
mishmash wrote:

Who Puzzled

Whisper it very quietly - the SCGB ...

In which case go along with your trusty 90s GS skis and be prepared to diss very loudly and publicly any of this new fangled "carver" nonsense and 4 clip boots - like snowboarders not to be trusted wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did an all teririan course with SW at the end of the season a couple of years back , we did cover "" all terrians " from carving on piste to bumps to deep off piste powder , a few folk swoped skis at morning meetings to suit the day ahead , but then plans changed on the hill and they made the wrong choice by picking too thin or too fat , I found my mx 88 wide all mountain ski worked well for all , reckon 85-95 is the way to go , something quite burly to help float in pow ( if your lucky )
snow report
Dabber Thanks for that was hoping to get some feedback from someone who'd done one of the courses, even better that you've done the AT course. Couldn't be bothered with the carry on of changing skis. My mate has some Scott Ventures 188cm, he's a much better skier than me though and they're 98mm and I'd be concerned they're a 'little too much' ski for me but he reckons they'll suit me fine due to my weight.
snow report
Bene, Scott venture is a great all mountain ski , and one recommended by the WSA team who run a similar sort of course in verbier . Try them out in a fridge if you get chance
Regarding the course , you'll have a great time , and will be introduced into some new ways of thinking about your skiing , tignes is on of the best places to be able to ski every type of terrian and condition you can find in the mountains , have been to espace Killy loads of times and it's always delivered fresh snow and a great time . snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Take the Lines.
snow conditions
Dabber Cheers, I'm a bit away from any of the fridges-Manchester and Glasgow are similar distances but I'm going to try and work it so I can be down that way with work.

Bit of a gear whore, bought a few pair of skis second hand and then just sold them on, Heads are the only ones I've kept.

Really looking forward to the course, not skied in the EK before so should be awesome. Few weeks for things to get freshened up and for it to get a bit more wintery too!
snow conditions
Bene, have a good un , you'll not be short of winter in tignes snowHead
ski holidays
If you are skiing with the SKGB, be sure to check with them which slopes have the best conditions (i.e. upper or lower slopes) Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy