Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TEN YEARS OF SNOWHEADS [born 5 Feb 2004]. What does it all mean?

Poster: A snowHead
With the 10th anniversary coming up in less than 3 weeks ...

snowHeads began in the first week of February 2004, as a direct response to the closure (to non-members) of a 'chat forum' operated by the Ski Club of Great Britain (SCGB) for a couple of years. For reasons which have never been entirely clear (legal liability was cited officially, but the SCGB seemed more concerned with public discussion/criticism of its reps' off-piste skiing policy) its open forum was confined to history.

On 5 February 2004, over 60,000 informative, friendly and sometimes controversial posts were 'impounded' to a SCGB archive (visible only to members), though that figure of 60,000 now looks less significant. As of this morning, snowHeads has archived approaching 2.5 million posts in its opening decade. The SCGB eventually reopened its public forum in December 2012 - almost 9 years after the closure/suspension.

It's worth noting, in context, that several other UK ski forums have existed historically and done well - notably completeskier.com (later renamed ifyouski.com and an important information source of its era), natives.co.uk (a very busy resort-workers forum in the past, still going) and the long-established Scottish ski forum winterhighland.info (re-launched in November 2002 but dating from 1994). For snowboarders, snowboardclub.co.uk and goneboarding.co.uk are long-established forums.

Here are what are believed to be the first seven 'snowThreads' ... in chronological order ...

A dip into the unknown by u brain ... with seemingly little composure as the historic green button was hit ...
I like to ski but i'm afraid of snow [23:24, 5 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=39&highlight=chat#39

This one has run to 52 pages to date and is the longest-running active thread on snowHeads ...
The Inevitable Joke Thread [16:59, 6 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=33&highlight=#33

A thread title that recalled a notable incident on the SCGB forum ...
The Glorious days of Colour - Live on! [17:04, 6 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=45&highlight=#45

A note of congratulation, from Dave Burt ...
Well done u! [20:03, 6 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=59&highlight=#59

This one's amusing and thoughtful ... worth a read ...
The Great Ski Club of Britain.[03:18, 7 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=61&highlight=club#61

Variation on a theme ...
The Ski Club of the United Kingdom [11:41, 7 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=96&highlight=club#96

This one's interesting, hinting at early manoeuverings ...
News from Ski Club of Great Britain [17:07, 8 Feb 2004]
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=209&highlight=club#209

LATER TODAY ... I hope to bring news of a surprising development relating to the above ... and what may involve some
re-thinking ...

Meanwhile, the tenth anniversary of snowHeads will be celebrated on snow, on the day itself ...

S10BB, Arabba
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99578

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-01-14 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which means it'll also be 10 years of Facebook.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But only a year of (Facebook-enabled, but it took 9 years for somebody (President Bubbles) to think of the idea) WTF Ski Club: https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/?ref=br_tf
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And in those 10-years I've:

1. Learnt nothing Toofy Grin
2. Found out a lot
3. Had a lot of support
4. Stayed alive
5. Carried Shimmy's, skis to the car
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice tribute, Comedy Goldsmith.

Heavens, some folk have been around awhile.... Laughing

Wonder what happened to Jason Carpenter from Essex. Bumped into him in Tignes, randomly (and slowplough too, AIR), and then again, randomly, in a branch of S & R. Nice guy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone else think that this thread should have been Admin's perogative?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
No
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Damn Evil or Very Mad

Megamum, stop trolling. No. And since when did you get to be a self-appointed public moderator - I am sure admin had no issue with this. Whatsoever. His call. His right of reply. Not yours. Not anyone's, really.

If you thinks so, then perhaps you don't really get snowHeads.

Right, back to service as normal for me rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:

Megamum's English tutorial, for the benefit of offspring

PEROGATIVE/PREROGATIVE
https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/perogative.html

The Free Dictionary: pre·rog·a·tive
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Perogative

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 14-01-14 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure he'll post something from the BB. There'll be cake pics for sure.

Still doesn't feel like 10 years (nor 9 years 11 months and a week Wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I even remember where I was when I first heard about it. Ski trade show in Manchester early February 2004, a certain comedic Goldfish approached me and said "have you heard of snowHeads?" and my reply went something like this: "no". I now realise what a historic moment that was and wish I had written it down. Then followed a decade of tireless time wasting and the pursuit of knowledge I already had or didn't need.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
... a certain comedic Goldfish approached me and said "have you heard of snowHeads?" and my reply went something like this: "no"...

That's interesting - I never realised you'd met anyone of that name. Was this individual swimming around in a plastic bag, communicating in small air bubbles?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Was this individual swimming around in a plastic bag, communicating in small air bubbles?
Metaphorically speaking, he still is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore, I clearly don't get SH's then. BTW. that wasn't moderation, that was expression of an opinion. I could write a supporting essay, but it's not worth the bother. The Piste is clearly CG's private play pen, I'll leave and let you all enjoy it. Ta, Ta. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:

Comedy Goldsmith is Admin but phsssshhh, keep that to you and me ok?
ski holidays
And, in honour of pistehors.com - another valuable forum+information site, not strictly "UK" but run by a relocated Englishman (unless he's a Frenchman - I'm really not sure) - it should be mentioned that davidof speaks and writes perfect English from a French location and ...

http://pistehors.com/

... should have been included in the summary in the opening post.
snow report
Quote:

Right, back to service as normal for me

Oh, by all the gods in Asgard, please, no.
latest report
While I have no problem with DG starting the thread, I can't help but wonder WHY he shot his bolt 3 weeks before the proper Birthday? Just excited I guess... Or does SnowHeads have 2 birthdays, like the Queen?
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:

The Piste is clearly CG's private play pen

No it isn't. Confused Confused Confused
snow conditions
under a new name, I take it you don't believe in gods. And thereby neither do I.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
While I have no problem with DG starting the thread, I can't help but wonder WHY he shot his bolt 3 weeks before the proper Birthday?

Stand by. Something reasonably astonishing has been happening today [assuming that all parties arrived safely].
latest report
so who else has just been to look up when they joined and their snowhead serial number?

(#1038) for the record
snow conditions
Does your restraining order expire?
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
While I have no problem with DG starting the thread, I can't help but wonder WHY he shot his bolt 3 weeks before the proper Birthday? Just excited I guess... Or does SnowHeads have 2 birthdays, like the Queen?

He's just showing vast experience. It'll start Ok enough with just a rantette by MM, then someone will take offence about something more important like traffic jams around Munich and then it'll dissolve into the usual threats of legal action, mentions of helmets and Hitler and avalanche gear, followed by a few flounces and by 5th Feb it should all be just back on track enough for the actual birthday.
ski holidays
"10 years of snowHeads - what does it all mean"

Well to me it means:
a) an internet forum where lots of things relating to snow based recreation can be discussed, information, advice and experiences exchanged (and some non-snow related funny and serious matters discussed in the apres-zone as well Toofy Grin )
b) A group of people to go on Bashes with
c) The opportunity to meet some fellow snow enthusiasts in person, some of whom have become good friends. snowHead
ski holidays
I found snowHeads one bored Christmas Eve back in 2006, so in no way there from the start, but I haven't been disappointed, I've made some of the best friends I have through this forum. Long may it continue.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

No restraining order - just the usual commonsense you've come to expect from me. Let's just say that a famous central London location may have hosted an unconventional rendezvous in the past couple of hours.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

No restraining order - just the usual commonsense you've come to expect from me. Let's just say that a famous central London location may have hosted an unconventional rendezvous in the past couple of hours.

Ahhh....I think I understand. Interesting, but possibly a tad naughty of you Comedy Goldsmith.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

just the usual commonsense you've come to expect from me..

Well that made me laugh at least.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you, PJSKI and a cheap hotel round the back of Kings Cross? Finally! We all wish you both the very best.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Was it a SnowVole awards ceremony?
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
a relocated Englishman (unless he's a Frenchman - I'm really not sure) - it should be mentioned that davidof speaks and writes perfect English from a French location

Englishman, now that is an interesting word. Someone asked me my nationality today and I replied (to make it simple as I have dual nationality) British. Gilbert and Sullivan would be shocked.

http://youtube.com/v/3Ygs-oIomyM
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, you, PJSKI and a cheap hotel round the back of Kings Cross?

You clearly haven't been round the back of Kings Cross recently. admin's one-time premises [not sure which railway arch was involved, but I think we deserve a guided tour with historical anecdotes] have - I think - been trashed into the 21st century.

I should stress that today's development has absolutely nothing to do with me, and I'm not involved in any way.
ski holidays
FALSE ALARM EVERYONE... The "will they/won't they sweepstake" on Goldsmith and PJ is still open...
Jackpot currently stands at £153,000 and the keys to The White House, Wimbledon.
latest report
This irresponsible speculation is warranted in only one respect: today's events probably do have a financial backcloth (most things do) but ... as we've learned over the past 10 years, money can't buy you love, truth or happiness. We love snowHeads because it's a bumbling and barmy refuge from money worries and real life.

Let's just say this about today's events: if I was a paparazzo there wouldn't have been much typing going on around here: I'd have been down there, snapping like a crocodile.

However ... I don't have a long lens (or any other phallic object), because that would be intrusive.
ski holidays
Stop teasing then. Either gently guide it in, or leave it to go down.
snow conditions
SnowHeads is a gold mine. Wouldn't be without it. Thanks to everyone for sharing expertise/knowledge/experience/opinions.

Now, should I wear a helmet or not??
snow conditions
Markmcn, Only if you don't have Winter Tyres fitted
ski holidays
What the SCGB gave up

At the top of the page are some of the earliest snowHeads postings in February 2004. But 15 months earlier - in early December 2002 - the SCGB had started its preceding forum - the discussion and users that snowHeads essentially inherited. From the start, SCGB members and other forum users benefited from the conversation and advice available. The SCGB forum was also a very effective 'shop window' for the club, for non-members - many of whom were recruited via this threshold. The web traffic generated by the forum was (as we now see with snowHeads) huge.

These opening postings of the SCGB forum (in its first week) show the similarity between what was was available then to the general public, and what's provided to the general public by snowHeads today. They just show what the Club gave up (its forum nowadays is a trickle of communication) and what was sacrificed by a seriously dodgy decision in February 2004.

The last topic below is particularly topical, in terms of current SCGB issues ...

Ski recommendation- good short turns and great on bumps? [3 Dec 2002]
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Equipment?discussionID=14#.UtVLvvvUbIU

2003 Bookings [5 Dec 2002]
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=16#.UtVOJPvUbIU

Mayrhofen in March - Snow? [6 Dec 2002]
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=20#.UtVPoPvUbIU

blades or skis? [7 Dec 2002]
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=21#.UtVO6_vUbIU

websites for accomodation only? [8 Dec 2002]
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=22#.UtVOkPvUbIU

What does Carte Neige resort insurance cover [10 Dec 2002[
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=29#.UtVRKvvUbIU
ski holidays
Confused.
Is this the "Snowheads is nearly 10" thread, or the "SCGB kind of screwed up 10 years ago" thread? Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy