Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That Time Of Year Again.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
......Help me to pick where to go!

Criteria is the same as most years. Need a non skier friendly resort, close to Geneva, preferably not the Portes Du Soleil, as I've done the place to death now! Hopefully good skiing for me but the wife doesn't ski, but loves the whole skiing atmosphere. Thinking of doing self catering this year to save money over a catered chalet. We would be looking at a 4/5 day break in the last 2 weeks of March, after the French holidays are over. Can anyone recommend a resort, and even possibly somewhere to stay. Must be quite nice inside as my OH will spend quite a large amount of time in the accommodation itself. Close to shops, bars, restaurants and also close proximity to the ski lifts so we can meet for lunch etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the last 3 weeks of March, after the French holidays are over

would need to be the last two weeks of March. As ever, much easier to find accommodation for a week. Will you do a self-drive transfer?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, no would get a company to pick up up I think. Easier than hiring a car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, I would think Samoens would fit the bill - we stayed in an apartment above the shops on the main street one summer and it was fine. It's quite a pretty place, flat as it's on the valley floor, so easy to walk around, and a lot more of a 'proper' village than many ski resorts. Access to the ski area (Grand Massif) is by fast chair, but I suspect they still run the buses up to Vercland for the gondola and possibly even up to 1600 where the skiing really starts (and where there are slopeside bars etc).

The botanic garden is worth a visit (not flat, though) and there might be other things to do while not-skiing.

And pretty close to Geneva, although Morrillon is a little closer, there seems to be less there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yellow Pyranha, thanks. Always wanted to go to Samoens. Do you have a link to where you stayed?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ARC 1950
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone else?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Villars
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix. Up Brevent for lunch and world-beating views. Loads of non-skier tourist stuff e.g. railway up to Mer De Glace.

Samoens is an absolutely lovely town largely unspoilt by obvious ski tourism and grim new-build apartments etc, but tiny, and the gondola to meet you up on the hill for lunch is nowhere near the quaint touristy village centre.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about St Gervais? I have never been but often fancied it, I think it ticks a lot of your boxes Ricklovesthepowder Smile Quite a few SHs know it well I think.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, sorry, it was in 2002! And we booked via a UK travel agency.

I would go to the samoens.com website and search that way. I did wonder if you were really looking for slope side accommodation when I re-read your op, but having been there once in Winter and a few times in Summer, it is somewhere I would definitely consider for a non skier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd second the Samoens recommendation. Lovely place. Non skier could use local buses to some of the other Grand Massif villages to meet you for lunch. Sixt in particular is an interesting wee place. For accommodation Absolute Alpine are the people to speak to. We stayed in their (catered) Chalet Petit Ourse last March and liked it so much we're going back again this March. The catering was fantastic but I think they have some self-catered apartments if that's what you prefer. Good village to do self catering in because it's got a good selection of local shops, supermarkets and restaurants.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy