Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The perennial "where to go in April" question... Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all. Thinking about the annual group trip away. Due to school hols and lack of cash to go with the crowds in Feb, we're restricted to April 8th this year as the start point.

Now I've been telling my group that high up in France is the only hope at that time of year (was thiking Tignes/Val Thorens perhaps) but on further consideration I find myself wondering if it is worth considering Austria/Italy as well (I have little faith in Andorra or Bulgaria holding snow that late!)

We don't want to end up being stuck in a tiny glacier-only area with thousands of other unlucky punters, so it can't just be a summer glacier resort! It also needs to be convenient for slopes as we'll have kids there and no cars (probably). It also needs at least one nice swimming pool for my non-sliding wife!

Any ideas on this one folks - open to suggestions!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My shout would go to Obergurgl, me and my better half went there in the second week of April last year and the conditions were excellent for the seasons end.I know it's a bit hit and miss but we had half a metre the day before we arrived and it kept coming for 3 days!!! Shocked The village is quite small and easily walked around, mostly hotel based entertainment/bars but pretty good.The ski-ing is shared with Hochgurgl, and there's enough for a week,lots of Reds/Blues, but a bit limited if you want Blacks. As its very high up 90% of the ski-ing is above the tree line, a touch bleak but very dramatic scenery,and reasonably warm in April.
We had a great time, don't know about a swimming pool though!!!! Puzzled .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's normally no problem with availability in April. Where will the snow be in April, it could be Austria France or Italy. It might just be a few select resorts in one or all of these countries. If it says cold through March and April you will be spoiled for choice.

Here's a few reviews on Austrian resorts.

http://www.skiresort.de/oesterreich/index.htm

Make a shortlist of the resorts you would like to go to, include some more snow secure glacier resorts and book later in the season depending on who has snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So Austria is still feasible that late on then? I think I'd rather head for Austria... we did the France thing last year and suffered in Serre Chevalier's worst snow in 30 years (according to locals).

Hmmm... Hochgurgl/Obergurgl, definitely worth a thought. Doesn't one or other of these places tend to get booked out very quickly though as it's so small?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hochgurgl is VERY small Shocked ..its linked by cable car and has no village as such just 3 or 4 slopeside hotels. Obergurgl is the actual village, although its pretty small as its mainly hotels there is plenty of beds available.I think its size,lack of 'banging' nightlife and snowboard terrain park keeps the numbers down.Its definately a more family/couples resort,very relaxed.Check out Obergurgls website,good photo's,video etc and you get a sense of scale from the trail map and the 'interactive' village map Shocked !!
For a late season/late booking trip i would go again snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carled

We had excellent snow here in La Clusaz, france, last April especially after the 11th (the best of the season, with hardly anyone around and three big dumps of excellent powder!!! They stopped the lifts on the 30th and there was still skiing to be had - criminal.
The Candide Invitational is on the week before 1/2nd April which is a kicking event with top riders and free-stylers from all over the globe doing the most awesome jumps andd rails - really worth a visit. Also giant parties in the evenings with live gigs on the slopes!!!!

We have space for up to 10 in our chalet any of the weeks in April if you are interested. Check out www.gravite.co.uk for prices and more info.

cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech/Zurs - best snow record in Austria
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, You should come here. We always have good late snow - not just the glacier. 220 kms of piste when it's all open, La Grave on the doorstep, and we're relatively cheap as well. Normally it snows in April, and for the Easter hols we've been ski-ing powder the last several years.

I've never not been able to ski down to resort at closing (end April) in 16 years. OK it's black, but when it's heavy most people can get down it. Very nice B & B hotel right in the centre, Les Lutins, where snowHead stayed for the Monidal. go on ..... think about it. Serre Chevalier is very low for a late season resort - sorry all yu Serre Che fans.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, We've had decent condtions at Easter when we've skied there, but agree it's not brilliant for that late in the season. I know carled had a bad time snow-wise last year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmmm... I suppose it's just down to luck on the snow front. I felt extra-guilty last year as I took a large group of friends to Serre Che and it was only 20% open... the group was a good one though and we had a great time, just wish the snow had been better.

Had a look at some of the Austrian resorts and the immediate problem appears to be Easter. Whereas most of France is in the super-low season by then, Austria is back up into it's most expensive time again! Prices match Feb half-term so it looks like a no-no.

Charlotte... I suppose LDA is a distinct possibility again... (was there in '96 & '97) I just had poor snow (mostly) both years (I tell you, I'm cursed!) so I just don't have massively happy memories of the place, although I do have some fond memories of several of the runs and the village nightlife was fun. Is the Rodeo bar still open? Had many a drunken ride on that damned bull... Happy Had my best-ever ski experience there though... an unexpected dump of a foot of fresh snow followed by 2 days of blue skies and sunshine... We went up the "other side" the first morning (pied moutet?) and had the mountain to ourselves with all the fresh snow... utter bliss. The day it snowed (bear in mind that before the snow, it was brown from 2,000m down!) I got carried away with the whole spirit of things and ambitiously skied across from the top of the black into "le village" (is that Valentin?) all the way cross-country, gullies included, to the bottom of the le Diable bubble... had a few hairy moments in the back country but it was entertaining!

graviteski, not sure about la clusaz... seems a bit risky relying on late snow... There's only 1,100 to 2,600m and as Serre Che was at 1400m and we suffered badly in late March... I just don't know. I suppose the sensible thing to do is leave it late, although I'll need to have sorted flights out by then... *sigh* it's all so complicated...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled

A lot of people seem to think the same thing about la Clusaz - but it's not all about resort height! I admit the first time we came here as paying guests in March some 4 years ago I was anxious about the resort height. I was proved wrong ofcourse.

How the mountains hold the snow depends a lot on which direction the slopes face and how much sun they get in the day.
It is true that the main run to the town can run short of snow in sparse years. Last year was definately not one of them, and the way we are going this year hopefully it will be the same.

La Balme the highest of the area holds its snow well into June even in 38 degreesC - like last year - because of how it is situated within the Aravis range. This is were local knowledge helps. If you know the mountains and resort well you know which areas keep the the snow and where to ski when you have fresh powder. These things the guide books do not tell you!

Leave it until closer to the time by all means, but if you have a large group to fit in, you may find yourself only being offered the odd room here or there, not a whole chalet as the easter hols are in April this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton has a very good late snow record .. been there many times in early to mid-April and never had a problem .. 2 years ago we had a week of snowing constantly from around 5th-13th April which was actually a pain in the ass cos we never once could see where we were going !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy