Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age started skiing

Poster: A snowHead
How old was everyone when they started skiing?

Do you think starting at a younger age makes one a better skier. For example 10 years of skiing from 5 - 15 years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
28 and generally yes. Starting younger has advantages in terms of learning and time available as well as basic stuff like cog, fear etc.

Wish I had started 20 years earlier.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
28 here also (38 now).

Wahey, ten years without being seriously injured. High five!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
47. Old dog new tricks.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Quote:

Do you think starting at a younger age makes one a better skier.

Not necessarily; not everyone who started young is a good skier (especially British skiers who tend to give up lessons after age 11). But it's probably true that most of the really great skiers started young. There are 8 year olds in the local Ski Club who could ski rings round me, that's for sure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4 at harwood....
38 now. Still need lessons Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
33. Wish I'd started 30 years earlier. 30 years later now.
And still take lessons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started at 5 and am now 32.

What makes a good skier is lots of time on skis so starting early can be an advantage but not necessarily if you can put the snow time in. Starting early I think helps with confidence, I don't really remember not being able to ski and the whole thing seems normal.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 13-01-14 22:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried it when I was about 20 had about 2-3 yearly trips on 2m+ planks didn't make it off the kids playpark. Tried it again when I was about 37 on carving skis, still couldn't make it off the snowpark - terrified, went to the EoSB age 40 - the rest is history so I say I started to ski when I was 40. The kids started at about 3 yrs old and can already ski the whole mountain, I am still stuck on reds. Yes, age makes a huge difference.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another one who started at 28
(17 years ago).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
27 give or take a year
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, why couldn't you do it at 20? Poor instruction?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Started at 12, however due to a succession on knee injuries (only one done while skiing, the rest were caused by playing hockey) my target is to just to be able to carry on skiing even if that is just blue runs for half a day rather than give up completely as the consultant who operated on my knee in October said that I should do.

Edit to add: I am only 38 now.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 13-01-14 22:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
11. Foolishly took a 12 year break at 18... It's coming back now though 7 years after getting back into it Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First trip was March 2012 aged 33 and quickly got hooked. 6 weeks (and a few days in Scotland) under my skis now with another two trips booked this season.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 13-01-14 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
42 - wish I had gone years ago but did not think I would like it - I love it.
snow report
Started at 45 - 54 now. Do at least 2-3 weeks per and have a couple of lessons in at least one of the weeks. Agree about the late start and fear factor. Had a couple of nasty tumbles a couple of years ago that knocked the confidence a little. Plus the older you get the more it hurts Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Started at 5, now 24.
ski holidays
Started at 11. My brother was 8 and he was definitely always slightly ahead of me given exactly the same lessons and time on slope.

But I started my kids at 3 but with hindsight I think its was a little young by a year or two. They do seem to ski much more naturally than I ever did and especially when they were younger they were able to just watch and copy, no further instruction needed.
ski holidays
Aged about 10.
And whilst I agree that not everyone that starts young is a good skier, I reckon that a person starting at 6 with now aged 26 with 20yrs experience would be a better skier than exactly the same person starting at 26 and now aged 46 with identical experience. Impossible to prove I know, unless we have a parent of identical twin 6yo's who is willing to try in the ranks Shocked
latest report
3. Then a massive gap between 16 and 26. Now 43 and haven't cracked it yet.
snow report
dode, I'd agree, it's much easier for kids to pick up with a lower centre of gravity and less fear.
snow report
Early 20's for me and I think age makes a big difference my son who is possibly slightly better than me at other sports but not massively is a markedly better skier than I ever have been and still has not reached the age that I started.
snow report
I would have been 4 in 1970 at Aviemore. Im now 48 but still have plenty to learn.

Still not too late to try taking some lessons
snow conditions
Quite a lot of us started quite late, it seems. My three kids all started young - two of them ski no better than I do (though I've had a lot more time) and the third is really extremely good though he wasn't the youngest, starting. Down to differences in natural ability, I think.

My daughter learnt to sail (Optimists) at 7 and is an instinctive and natural sailor - better than I shall ever be. But the top racing sailor in our Club (frequently the best in Chichester Harbour wink ) started sailing relatively late, in middle age, and by a combination of application and ability was soon beating people who'd sailed from infancy.

It's not a straightforward question - interesting, though.
ski holidays
Started at 5. I remember skiing about in circles going through little obstacles while being terrified of esf instructors.
latest report
pam w,
Agree that talent and application are very important as well, certainly know a few skiers who started a lot later than I did and have done a lot less skiing but are much better skiers.
snow conditions
Quote:

terrified of esf instructors

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In 1977 aged 8, but had an enforced gap between the ages of 22 and 32, then again between the ages of 32 and 40.
latest report
First skied in February 2007 aged 34

IMHO it is definitely better to start younger, as long as you keep at it.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

terrified of esf instructors

Laughing

Happy I still remember my first time skiing and the ski instructors name Zulie (spelt wrong I am sure) in Mayrhofen and she was brilliant. That coupled with peer pressure, I was at an age where if the other children were doing it I would do it, meant that things I was nervous off I wouldn't let get the better of me, which did make it a good age. Saying that I am sure I would be better if I had learnt younger still.
latest report
I started at 46 and my husband at 54. That was 11 years ago. He's a reasonable skier but will never look like the skiers who started young as your body just doesn't bend the same. We ski about 5 weeks a year. I am very average. We describe ourselves as 'born again skiers'- can't get enough but feel like the clock is ticking.....,
ski holidays
Started at 4 on cairngorm and in aviemore on a little hill,now 41.
ski holidays
Went with school to Churchill dry slope in my early years of senior school......went on and off whenever we went somewhere with a dry slope on holiday throughout my teens.....did nothing throughout my 20's until my first ski holiday when I was 30!! I'm now 34 and cannot get enough!!
latest report
4 or 5 , recollections vary.

What I have heard, repeatedly is that the brain "solidifies" a little around age 7 so that if you can get used to sliding early, that's a good thing.

Bit of a vague description, but, hey, there you go.
latest report
Started at about 9 or 10. My sister started at 5 or 6 although she didn't keep it up like I did as she got older. However, now she's taken a liking to it again and it's like riding a bike to her, she could just do it despite a break of about 15 years.
snow report
40, wish I had started earlier
ski holidays
I was about 13, my husband 25, my eldest and youngest sons were both bumps in my tummy for their first ski trip and my middle son was 14 months (carried by his Dad and before anyone suggests danger, just across gentle slopes between restaurants and telecabine Smile )

For their first time on skis my eldest was 3, and my younger two must have been around 5/6 & 7/8 with big bro then about 9/10 before we could pluck up courage (and afford) to go skiing with 3 children. None of them remember not being able to ski!
snow conditions
About 2 or 3 on the playing field in Braemar. First skiing holiday was when I was somewhere between 7-10 months, I have a picture of me in a little plastic green sledge. I'm 18 now but haven't skiied for a few years but definitely going this christmas, and possibly in a month or two. For me I think starting young have made me better than I otherwise would have been but I'm not great, I'm fine on blues and reds and could get down a black but I've never made a habit of it.
latest report
24 years ago at 31. Never really considered it before, didn't really know any skiers. A mate who hadn't skied before either booked to go with some people from work and I got roped in - Ellmau it was. Hooked from day 1. I'll never be great but still love it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy