Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre or Les Arc 1950

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me again - still looking for a location for New Year this year.

I am now looking at Les Arc 1950 - Le Village or Montgenevre in Le Hameau des Airelles. Does anyone have any experience of a) the accommodation b) the skiing.

I have 2 children aged 9 and 12 who have skied 3 times, I can ski but enjoy 'nice' skiing and my husband will try anything red and easier.

Will probably go self catering so cost of resort restaurants would be good to know.

Any help really gratefully received with thanks.

Claire Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from Montgenevre and we loved it. Stayed in Chalet Les Dolines - self catering. I've been to Les Arcs too. Personally I'd return to Montgenevre as it would suit my 7 year old better (easy runs into resort centre). I loved the mix of French and Italian and the runs on the Italian side and scenery was just gorgeous. Best hot choc in the world to be had in Italy says my 12 year old. Dolines accomm was great but at the opposite end to Apeak ski school that my 7 year old was using so that was a trek in the morning but ESF meet behind Dolines.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm doing both in the next month. will be third time in Arc 1950 and I find it like a fairy land! Very Disneyesque and no cars is great with kids, mine just mooch around in the snow if they have any energy left. a bit pricey for drinks but self catering quite good value (we are a party of ten). Happy hour in O chaud is great, if you like to pretend your twenty not forty eight - as I do, mainly 'cos it embraces my kids!!!! Never been to Montgenevre but looking forward to it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey, I've skied both and I like both. We're actually going to montgenevre next week and will be staying in the accommodation you mention so I can give you an update after the 27th. The skiing in montgenevre is good and geared well to families, beginners and intermediates. There's also some good off piste and a free ride area for the more adventurous.

I've been to les arcs about half a dozen times and love it - It's ski area is so vast, varied and really offers something for everyone. I've never stayed in 1950 but it's a nice place (in a Disney kind of way!). The prices of eating and drinking out are the only downside here though and montgenevre is much cheaper.

If you're looking for a bit more info on both areas have a look at my 'blog' www.snowtripper.co.uk

It's just a bit of fun for me really as I wanted to make a website and needed a subject to base it on (please don't judge too harshly) but there may be something useful for you. At the very least there's some pictures in the gallery section to whet your appetite!

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for such quick, informative responses - still confused as both resorts seem to gave their plus points. Had a look at your blog orangekss - thanks - some great information. Will look forward to hearing about the Montgenevre accommodation.

Really pleased I asked the question Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No problem, I'll be sure to give you an update...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiMumof2, We can only agree with other posts, we have been to both and would go to both again. Montgenevre is our fave of the two, but both offer good skiing. Montgenevre we prefer as the village itself is nicer, more older buildings than most resorts, also we like the hot chocolate once you cross the border into Italy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiMumof2 - I think your family would enjoy either of these resorts.

If you want the cheaper option it would be Montgenevre as the accommodation in Le Hameau is about half the cost of Le Village. I expect other costs (restaurants, supermarket, ski school etc) would be slightly more in Les Arcs too.

It is a long time since our trip to Les Arcs and it was pre kids and pre Le Village. I remember loving the resort and we are going back there this season staying in Le Village 1950. The main reason we chose it this time is due to the ease of access from the Eurostar ski train. Le Village sounds nice (ski in ski out, good for families) and we want to go back to Les Arcs with our children who haven't been there before. Ours will also be 12 and 9 when we go and are now doing ESF gold and bronze.

I love Montgenevre and we've been there twice. It definitely has the type of runs you are looking for and the ski schools are very good. We like the apartments in Le Hameau. The outdoor pool is fun. The check in can be chaotic as there are a lot of apartments and a small reception desk but once that's over you can enjoy the rest of the week. There is a nice supermarket next door which also sells hot pizzas etc. There are nice eating out options in the town. It is fun skiing to Italy.

In your position I'd go to Montgenevre this year and Les Arcs the year after snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was last in Montgenevre about 12 years ago. Went with a large group from a friends company. The skiing was good and although the lower slopes went through a sheet ice, soft mush and then slush cycle I would consider it again. My main memory is finding a great pizzeria with a wood oven just behind the main street. That ended up being the default lunch venue for a lot of our group. The owners loved us bythe end of the week!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaza wrote:
I was last in Montgenevre about 12 years ago. Went with a large group from a friends company. The skiing was good and although the lower slopes went through a sheet ice, soft mush and then slush cycle I would consider it again. My main memory is finding a great pizzeria with a wood oven just behind the main street. That ended up being the default lunch venue for a lot of our group. The owners loved us bythe end of the week!

Le Capitaine by any chance? Our children enjoyed a nutella pizza there one night Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't a clue! It was a very boozy week. Madeye-Smiley Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Without doubt I would recommend Montgenevre.

I would say Les Arc is not a difficult place to ski but it is average in standard with some difficult bits dotted around. It is good for experienced skiers able to make full use of it 200km facilities plus a chance to go over to La Plagne to get another 225km if that is not enough. However Les Arc 1950 is not an easy area. It is good if one wants to try the 2km vertical drop from Aiguille Rouge (3226m) to Villaroger (1200m). Runs are more red and black than blue there.

Montgenevre however is a definite resort created for the beginners and children. There are small black runs which are away from the main playing areas with plenty green runs . It has only 100km piste and is linked to Claviere as part of the Milky Way (Via Lattea) which has 400km piste linked/combined together. I think this resort is suitable for the whole family to ski together. Most of the areas are flat enough to good cruising around. For experienced skiers Cesana (Sansicario) and Sestriere have some nice runs used by the winter Olympic. These black runs are not steep but very smooth and easier to ski than many red runs elsewhere.

Milky Way is less expensive than Tarentaise Valley because it is quite remote and has less famous resorts in its valley (which has Sauze O'dulx, Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, La Grave, L2A and LAlpe d'Heuz).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i've been to both and would pick 1950 every time. i have 3 young children who from the age of 4 had no problem negotiating their way back to the village. the convenience of the boot rooms, ski-schools, car park and shops is invaluable. it's not cheap but snow sure convenience never is. be careful tho, as once the kids get used to popping to the shops on their own, or sitting round the central fire toasting marshmallows while quaffing hot chocolate, they might not want to go anywhere else.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee wrote:
However Les Arc 1950 is not an easy area.
Not in my opinion. There is very extensive easy terrain all around Arc 1950. Loads of long, gentle blue pistes from the top of the valley down to Arc 1950 and below it. Access on skis to and from Arc 1950 couldn't be easier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy