Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jacket Advice - This one or something else

Poster: A snowHead
I was in Decathlon recently and saw this Columbia coat-
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/columbia-arson-mens-ski-jacket-id_8284181.html

I am no expert but the coat seemed to be a decent quality. Enough pockets, hood, decent waterproof (10K mm) and breathability. Having looked online it is only Decathlon selling this coat. If you had £200 would you buy this or are there better options?

Thanks for any help as always.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if this will be of interest but we've bought a couple of surfanic jackets for my sons over the last few years and we've been really impressed with the quality and value. Anyway, thay have a pretty good sale on with a load of options:-

http://www.surfanic.co.uk/mens/winter/ski-jackets/

And just for clarity I have no vested interest here, just passing along some info.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blacks are having a clearance sale (I got a £250 Salomon jacket for £100 - they had an additional 20% off at the time too)

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/ski-jackets/

Or Cotwolds Sports have some decent offers (and can give discounts on top - think there are some promotion codes on other forums). The 'web only' ones you can take back to a store for a refund if don't fit etc

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mens/jackets/ski-jackets
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or some nice Sweet Protection stuff on Sportspursuit Code SWEET20 gets an extra 20% off today.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a bit too early to recommend it, but I've just ordered a Salomon Brillant jacket for £200 delivered from ekosport. If you search online you can also find the Salomon Foresight shell for the same, both of which are 20,000/15,000 rating. There does seem to be a bunch of bargains appearing now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess that a few retailers are starting to panic about the season, and deciding to dump stock while they can.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gixxerniknik, I got the Salomon Brilliant jacket for when I went to Norway at Xmas (I paid full price, though - the cheaper Salomon I got for my son). Really pleased with it. Did a very good job keeping me warm in the Norwegian cold and is very well water-proofed (we had one wet afternoon and the jacket stood the test). If you got one for £200 then I reckon that's a great deal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
damobloke1,
that's great to hear, I've agonised long and hard about spending that much money on a ski jacket just before going to Canada for 2 weeks skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gixxerniknik, I feel your pain about making the leap of faith to spend so much but for a 1-2 week a yr skier it will last a few years. And there's nothing worse than being cold / wet on a mountain so a good jacket is essential. So for the sake of maybe £100 more than you might have otherwise spent, it's got to be done. And compared to the cost of going to Canada, a comparatively small % price to pay on top of the trip.

Unfortunately, having a good jacket didn't turn me into a better skier.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
damobloke1 says
Quote:

Unfortunately, having a good jacket didn't turn me into a better skier.....

That's me too...New skis, jacket, gloves and avi stuff = all the gear & still no idea! rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gixxerniknik, I will try to find one locally to try on. Looks good and there are a few discounted sites to choose from. I normally fit medium but sometime a large is better and returning goods is annoying. The Columbia one is a good fit, I was not sure if it was decent value. Looking around it looks about the right kind of money.

Tried Decathlon and Go Outdoors - limited choice.
We have a mountain Warehouse but its like a clearance shop. If your a tad larger than average they have some absolute bargains. Jackets and Sals from £20 upwards.

May have to hit the road and find some more shops.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you havent bought a jacket yet, I would highly recommend the Helly Hansen Motion. A bit price at around the £250 mark, but you may be able to find it cheaper. I got mine for £150, but during a sale. It's absolutely brilliant, I have used it in -10C conditions, with very wet snow, and I stayed very warm and dry : http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/125502-helly-hansen-mens-motion-ski-jacket-black.html/727704/&cm_mmc=googleshop-_-shopping-_-feed-_-all?mkwid=0Zu2elYA_d{device}&pcrid=36728499742&gclid=CJnVpruJpLwCFUT3wgodeRwApg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with London_Falcon, check out Surfanic. They have really good sales and if you look for discount codes you can usually get more off. Kitted my boys out and treated myself to a second jacket. Retail value £500, spent about £175 for 3! All high spec which is, in my opinion, worth paying for. you don't have to just wear it for skiing - well dependant on how bright it is wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for everyone's input. Decathlon let me take home the Columbia jacket to try on with my other gear. Turns out it was not quite right for me. Great jacket with high spec but not quite right with my base layers etc. Got a Salomon jacket in the end. Its 10K/10K and light weight which is ideal for me. £200 down to £120. I now have £80 to get new pants. Smile

However, I have seen a few deals for jackets that look OK. I'm no expert but the price/spec looks OK.
£200 down to £50 - http://www.fieldandtrek.com/nevica-ski-jacket-mens-403022?colcode=40302270#
Someone above recommend Salomon Brilliant
£280 down to £190 - http://www.fieldandtrek.com/salomon-brillant-ski-jacket-mens-403256?colcode=40325618

Hope it helps anyone else shopping around.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nevica £50 is probably a fair price, £200 a price charged once for as short a time as possible to say it was reduced from that in an obscure shop in the middle of summer!
snow conditions
davkt, Same with most offers. I do not know the brand.
ski holidays
anyone looking north face seem to have some pretty significant discounts
ski holidays
I bought a second hand HH hely tech jacket and even -16 i was lovely and warm
snow conditions
Went to Two Seasons yesterday (to get some new mid layers after seeing the wind chill temp in Tignes was -25!).

They have up to 40% off ski/snow kit. Lots of Salomon and North Face stuff on offer.
snow report
And Sportpursuit have a sale on at the moment so have taken another 10% off a load of ski gear ranging from Trespass to Sweet Protection.
ski holidays
dylan32, Two seasons near me is rubbish. Seems like they target urban clothing more than snow/ski clothes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy