Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills drills and more drills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A cry for help. Well, when I say cry, more of a wail......

A little bit about me to set the scene. I'm 44, into my 6th year of skiing. Luckily, I live in Switzerland, so get more than my fair share of skiing, usually around 20-30 days per season. Had an intensive 2 days with Warren Smith's academy in Verbier last season to try and get up a level or two. I know some videos would help, but the requisite technology has been lost (my bullet cam was half inched last year). So i guess from a standard perspective i'd put myself as an 8 on the I/O scheme, with small (very small) parts of the 9 descriptions fitting quite well.

I discovered recently that I am much much weaker turning to my right, despite being strongly left sided for most things. I think this comes from a legacy of an old ACL injury to my left knee, which for years left me reluctant to put too much weight on my left knee, so a little bit psychosomatic. So, knowing this, here's what i have been doing.

Alternated one legged skiing with the ski on, with the inside tip touching the snow. One legged skiing with the other ski off the ground and crossed in front. Plenty of falling leaf practice, some braquage turns, a little bit of short radius turn practice...

I like doing drills, and my local resort couldn't be better for slopes to do drills on. I also like getting my kids to do whatever drills i am doing to try and make their skiing better as well.

Apart from the above, and the obvious "turn right better" advise, is there anything i can do to help me be more balanced? I noticed it this weekend as a serious problem when i was negotiating some moguls, my left turns were sharp and snappy and got me pretty much where i wanted, however when i was under pressure to turn smartly to my right, i was really really slow coming around, and it definitely is something i need to work on. Similarly when carving, I find it very easy to make carved turns to the left, but much less easy to do so to the right. So in my view, this is the single biggest thing holding me back, any help very gratefully received. Will try to flesh this out with a vid or two once my camera issues are resolved.

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
coddlesangers,

I am certainly not a good skier - however what you describe seems to indicate a strength/flexibility imbalance with your left side being weaker than your right side. Certainly drills help but there could be solutions away from the white stuff. Get to the gym in the off-season and work on exercises with free weights where you have to work your left and right side separately. Probably those more experienced skiers than I would suggest technique problems - however good physical preparation is a foundation that will help technique. Try reading Total Skiing by Chris Fellowes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you sure that your weaker right turn is visible? You might feel that you are slow coming around because you are aware of this weakness, so everything feels slower on that side. I have a similar problem but on the other side, and my instructor says he cannot detect it as turns look the same though everyone has a weaker side. I know I don't like traverses to the skier's right and mentally bracing myself before exiting with a left turn and I have no issues whatsoever with the opposite side, I don't even think about it. Also, it only concerns off-piste and ungroomed. I guess the solution is to keep doing it more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, I'm not sure its visible to anyone else, and it really was only through very soft heavy conditions that i noticed it being a problem. I guess I'll keep working on it, now I am more aware of it I am sure I can sort it. Physically working on free weights I do once or twice a week with crossfit, thats actually made a huge difference - as i can now squat properly, and have much greater range of motion with my whole body....Must get some vids and see if the problem is clear to an educated eye (ie, not mine Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think everyone has a dominant leg anyway, and everyone has a fav turning side but it will likely be a technique problem not a physical issue you need to fix, cant say why you are doing it without seeing but it's pretty common, also sorry but you describe yourself more like a level 6 on that scale perhaps just get a few lessons you don't say how many you have had or when your last one was.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geeo wrote:
I think everyone has a dominant leg anyway, and everyone has a fav turning side but it will likely be a technique problem not a physical issue you need to fix, cant say why you are doing it without seeing but it's pretty common, also sorry but you describe yourself more like a level 6 on that scale perhaps just get a few lessons you don't say how many you have had or when your last one was.

I mentioned the intensive two days with warren smiths academy in verbier last year, that was i guess my last formal lesson. What kind of technique problem might it be and how might I fix it? As I mentioned, I like drills, and don't mind performing them consistently until i have them down. In terms on IO level, this was the level 8 description...

"You can carve clean tracks on blue runs when the conditions are good with only a little skidding. You are keen to get better on icy pistes and in variable conditions. Your progress may be hampered by a lack of technique or fitness. You may be reliant on pushing your heels or picking up the inside ski to initiate your turns or have bad habits you struggle to break. You probably pick your way down moguls a few turns at a time and traverse really difficult areas. When you think you are carving you may not be actively piloting the skis."

I think thats accurate for me. Happy to be corrected, I'll try and get some video up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can, go to a good osteopath. They will be able to tell you if there is any real mechanical problems with the way your body is working and advise you what needs to be done to correct any problems!

And no I am not an osteopath but I owe much to a local one who has solved a lot of the problems I have had for the last 10 years!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a specific issue like this, which might have many causes, and especially as there's a potential old injury affecting things, I would book a private lesson in your local resort with someone you trust or have recommendations for and give them the brief to work out what's wrong and give you drills to improve it. Anything we suggest will be conjecture.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. I did think the entire purpose of the forum was wild conjecture, but yup, hands on with a pro is probably the best thing to do. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try some 1 legged exercises to see if your injured leg is a part of the problem, hop about until you need to put the good leg down try again the other way, see which one is best and how much difference there is then exercise the weak one more, a common technique issue for this is A framing your turn but it could be lots of other things like stance or even boot fitment, so many variables you would be best served getting a good instructor or take your chances and put a video up Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect you need to build up the strength in your left leg. Sit in a chair and do a one legged stand up. Can you do it equally easily with either leg? Repeat with progressively lower chairs. Add weight, eg a dumbbell. Lunges are also good for building up leg strength.

Only once your legs are equally strong shoukd you think about technique.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, physio and build strength in the weaker leg. Will protect it from further Injury. I'm going through the same process.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy