Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet/goggle problem

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We decided to buy our own helmets this year, and obviously goggles too and apparently wearing sunglasses with helmet will get us arrested by the style police - according to some posts on here.

Everything is fine, helmets are good standard Giro and Oakley goggles, not top of the range but i'm assuming decent goggles.

Now here's the problem, when I put both on together, the helmet appears to squash the goggles down onto my (albeit, big) nose, causing the goggles to actually close off my nostrils. Surely this isn't right, or is it? If its something I have to put up with then so be it, but I know sooner or later i'll be ditching the helmet for my bobble hat instead.

Just to qualify this, my son - who hasn't inherited his dad's schnozzle - has exactly the same problem. We are both in medium size helmets.

are all goggles the same size??

Any help or advice would be great!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
School boy error - you should have taken your helmet to the store where you bought your goggles to see how they fit together... No, goggles are not all the same size, and some goggles might be not helmet-compatible, some might fit better with certain types of helmet than others etc. Can you return a helmet or goggles or both and start again?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
goggle/helmet fit is something you should check when you're buying either.

It can be safer to buy helmet and goggles from the same manufacturer as they tend to be designed to work together, but that doesn't mean mixing and matching brands doesn't work (my helmet is a standard TSG design and it fits fine with my Oakley goggles).

It sounds like you have, unfortunately, found a combination that doesn't fit well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
howster, goggles come in a huge range of different sizes and shapes. There are many narrower goggles, but also many different types of helmet.

I'd take the helmets and go try on a load of different goggles until you find something that works with both. It shouldn't be pushing down on your nose.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the speedy replies!!

Sounds like i have really cocked up. The helmets are from sportpursuit.com and none returnable, and the goggles are from a staff sale at manchester airport (girlfriend works there) and i think these are also none returnable.

Maybe I could sell everything I have on here and start again.

I'm assuming the best idea would be to buy helmet & goggles from same manufacturer, but better still is to actually try both on together in a shop.

on the bright side, at least its not my big nose's fault!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried the goggles on without the helmets? I find Oakley goggles pinch anyway, regardless of helmet fit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes they're fine without the helmet, we tried them on this weekend and straight away we thought there was a problem but weren't sure if it was the way it was supposed to be
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
howster, definitely try on in a shop if you can. This is a common problem (especially with kids) that the googles are too deep, the helmet doesn't give enough forehead space for them to sit slightly higher and so they then close off the nostrils. There are definitely smaller fitting goggles around but it cantake some trial and error. On a positive note, you will have no trouble selling the Oakleys if you need to either here or on ebay.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
howster, very uncomfortable. We bought new helmets last year having had our about six years and thinking it was about time. I dutifully took my goggles back to the UK (they were Oakleys and only a year old) and toted them round when I was trying on helmets. Duly bought a helmet which seemed to fit with the goggles in the shop, and trying on at home, but when I came to ski with the combination I found, exactly like you, a squashed nose, and mine is on the small side too.

I put up with it during December/January and tried not to moan too much - but went home in February with the helmet and tried on various goggles in different shops. I found that some Smith I/OS ones were the only ones that really fitted under the Salomon helmet. They were pretty expensive so I put it off for a couple of weeks and tried to source online etc but in the end a couple of days before we came back in March I bit the bullet and bought them. It made such a difference to have both helmet and goggles fitting, and fitting together well. But we spend most of the winter here, bar February, so I am wearing the helmet etc practically every day so the expense is quite small on a daily rate, different for just a week at a time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look at this - have you tried the Giro Vertical adjustment yet?

http://youtube.com/v/LfJwlHXK-4Q
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
howster wrote:
thanks for the speedy replies!!

Sounds like i have really cocked up. The helmets are from sportpursuit.com and none returnable, and the goggles are from a staff sale at manchester airport (girlfriend works there) and i think these are also none returnable.

Maybe I could sell everything I have on here and start again.

I'm assuming the best idea would be to buy helmet & goggles from same manufacturer, but better still is to actually try both on together in a shop.

on the bright side, at least its not my big nose's fault!!

Have you contacted SportPursuit? They're normally very good at handling returns, especially if they don't fit.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
howster wrote:
Hi

and apparently wearing sunglasses with helmet will get us arrested by the style police - according to some posts on here.

Why? what is wrong with this?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rob D,

no idea personally but I was trying to research goggles on her a few weeks back and there was some slanging match going on, now i think back i think it wasn't just style police that would arrest me but the safety brigade would also be after me.

feef,

i've had a few dealign with sportpursuit and you're right they are very good with their customer service, but the helmets specifically stated they were none returnable. It may be worth a try but i would blame them if they told me where to go, politely of course....

mishmash,

i'll have a look later when the boss goes home
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
howster wrote:

mishmash,

i'll have a look later when the boss goes home

I should give you around 3/4 cm of vertical up down play on your conk i.e. approx +/- 1.5 from centre which is where you are probably set right now. Makes a huge difference to the feel.

Don't forget your sunnies for the terrace though!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh don't worry i still have my sunnies, must still look cool whilst drinking on the mountain Cool
snow conditions
howster wrote:
Rob D,

no idea personally but I was trying to research goggles on her a few weeks back and there was some slanging match going on, now i think back i think it wasn't just style police that would arrest me but the safety brigade would also be after me.

I've no idea either - why would this be a safety issue Puzzled

I've just ordered a helmet after 30 years of skiing and went to great lenghts to get one that would work in deepest winter (goggles) and have vents for the spring (sunnies)
snow report
Rob D,

I'm merely passing it on, as you can tell from my original post, I'm an idiot so i have no opinion on it either way..... Puzzled
snow report
howster wrote:
Hi

apparently wearing sunglasses with helmet will get us arrested by the style police - according to some posts on here

Really! I spent most of last trip with sunnys on whilst wearing helmet. Even had goggles sat on helmet.

I must be a fashion disaster with my gear!
ski holidays
I don't like googles
I do like helmets
I wear sunglasses and helmets...

...and try to outski the fashion police Smile

Alasdair
snow report
akirk,
Quote:
I don't like googles
I do like helmets
+1 - A man after my own heart.
snow report
howster wrote:
Rob D,

I'm merely passing it on, as you can tell from my original post, I'm an idiot so i have no opinion on it either way..... Puzzled

Hi. I realise that I'm just curiouse who these "Fashon Police" are that would make such stupid statments
ski holidays
Yup

I hate goggles I have these instead, which are great, they are basically sunglasses, they come with an insert you can use to make them more weather proof when it gets nasty and they have changeable lens, I got a pair with grey lens for blasting sunlight and orange for white outs. They work brilliantly. The guy who sells them was super helpful even sent me out a free set of alternative arms (detachable) and a free alternative insert so that I could completely customize them to fit my weird head.

I have no affiliation to them, but customer service like that deserves to be shouted about, especially from a uk company. They are also very good value for a prescription set and even better if you don't need prescription as they are even cheaper then.

This has solved all my glasses vs sunglasses issues as a shortsighted person. Before when I went skiing I would have a pair of sunnies and a pair of glasses and goggles with me ie 3 items. now I just wear these and the spare lens, insert and my glasses (if I know I am going to an indoor only restaurent) all fit into a small glasses case. Job done and be damned with the style police Smile

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/277/dixon-prescription-ski-goggles-glasses/20cc6edfa2d0483bda614211c944f1e5
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
akirk,
Quote:
I don't like googles
I do like helmets
+1 - A man after my own heart.
+ 2
snow report
Sell the goggles on ebay, if you got a discount on them you may just about break even. Then get some Giro goggles to go with the helmet.
latest report
A lot of people goggle at my helmet.
snow conditions
howster, Don't tell anyone cos the fashion police will be round to arrest me-I wear a helmet with built in visor & when its sunny I lift that up & have my sunnies on *shock horror* I believe that wearing any sort of helmet with a built in visor is almost a hangable offence round here! snowHead Cool Laughing
snow conditions
meribel46 wrote:
howster, Don't tell anyone cos the fashion police will be round to arrest me-I wear a helmet with built in visor & when its sunny I lift that up & have my sunnies on *shock horror* I believe that wearing any sort of helmet with a built in visor is almost a hangable offence round here! snowHead Cool Laughing

Why? who says so? who are these self apointed Fashion Police? Wear what you want, so long as you are happy
snow conditions
Rob D, Thank you!! I don't like goggles at all so decided if I was going to wear a helmet then I needed to do the visor thing to eliminate the need for traditional goggles. I bought a HMR helmet & I love it-had to get used to all our friends taking the pi$$ & saying I look like something out of Top Gun but I can take it!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
update on the goggle/helmet fight,

tried all helmets on with each of the 3 goggles we have, luckily there is only one pair of the oakleys that are causing a problem and when i put them at the side of the other goggles they are obviously bigger.
So all i need to do is sell these and buy some Giro to fit my lads helmet.

Just one thing, would any Giro goggle fit this Giro helmet by design, or should we still be going in shops trying goggles on??

thanks again for all your help!!!!
ski holidays
Did you try and position the helmet higher as per the video I posted ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy