Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney - is it child friendly skiing ?

Poster: A snowHead
hi all
I am considering Gressoney as an option for a family ski hol in a couple of weeks time and wonder if any of you have experience of taking kids there. Some of the reviews I am reading are suggesting that it could be challenging for my youngest. At 8 he was only just doing reds on the last day of last hol, but will need a bit of a warm up.
thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say it is generally child friendly. The piste grading is generous IMHO and there are plenty of telecabines and chair lifts and there are lots of other kids there, especially at weekends. The only bit that would worry me a bit is that it is a bit of a high speed resort. The pistes are bashed very smooth and you get a lot of armored skiers hurtling down at full tilt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't wear armour Puzzled

suki, If it's an option, there's more variety in the local slopes if you base yourselves in Champoluc. I'm not sure I would say Gressoney was particularly child friendly, whereas Champoluc is.

Which village were you looking at? (Staffal, La Trinite or St Jean)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
suki, My son and I went there last year, and at half term there still weren't many kids about, but we loved it and will be back again this year.

My son is now 12, and the progression to the reds in Gressoney was right for him, as johnE, says the pistes are "mauve" rather than all out reds, step sections seem to be short, mostly there are "cheats" round the steeper bits . By the end of the week he wanted to go round all the backs one more time.

Quote:

The only bit that would worry me a bit is that it is a bit of a high speed resort. The pistes are bashed very smooth and you get a lot of armored skiers hurtling down at full tilt.

Mostly we try to ski defensively to avoid this, skied in the Pyrenees where there are more than enough armoured snowboarders hell bent on the land speed record, but Gressoney was quiet, in fact immediately above the village, below Gabiet, was very quiet, maybe because it only takes you to Gressoney. The connecting pistes down from the passes were for the speedsters, that said still quiet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you all, very useful, It would be La Trinite as the reason for looking is that Esprit have some cracking deals in their new to them hotel. There are lots of other options, but mostly in France which we would prefer to avoid.

Not been on the forum so much this year.. what does IMHO mean ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In my honest opinion
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
humble
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, I am very humble about my mistake
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suki, Ah, OK. I would do a price check with Ski2 in Champoluc I think myself, but if the deal is good... The red run from the Col to the top of the Stafal cable is really blue, not red. Flat, wide, easy. I'm sure you'll be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
suki, we are there with esprit w/c 1/2 with 4.5 and 7 yr olds - I be skied there before with kids and I'd say it'd be fine - outside of holidays and weekends it tends to be quiet on piste by comparison to some other places - and the Italians love kids!!
Having been with esprit several times I'd be surprised if they'd started operating in gressoney this year without having been happy the ski area and schools were suitable for child progression?
Maybe see you there!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lib-banana- just booked same week ! Our boys are 8 and 10 (King family). So will see you there. Sue
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
suki, good stuff - ours are 4.5 and 7 - here's hoping for great snow!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@suki, @lib-banana, hi there, we are off to the ValVerde on 17th Jan, and Id appreciate your thoughts of the hotel, food etc... But more importantly how the kids got on with the skiing? Mine Is 8, done two weeks and I've booked her in the the intermediates. Concerned that the Reds may be too challenging! Also were did you eat out on the 'day off', and was there a supermarket to buy chocolate crisps etc....? Cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have also just booked (very late!) with Esprit to the Valverde - but travelling 31st Jan - is this the same as suki and lib-banana?

6 yo and 3.5 yo kids (very excited daughter looking forward to her first time on skis).

Feeling a little nervous about the snow coverage, but keeping fingers crossed that this weekend's forecasted dump materialises!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rooknee, this thread was from last year. However I would love to know how they got on as I am considering Gressoney with Esprjt for 2016 season. Hope you have a great time and can you come back and say what it was like?
snow report
Doh! I confused myself by looking at the date on P3t3r's post... So perhaps we should extend the "how was it?" to him?

I will try to do a report when we're back.
snow conditions
@Rooknee, thanks Happy
snow conditions
@Rooknee,
Just returned (24/01) from Esprit' Val Verde Chalet Hotel in Gressoney.
Hotel in general very good, however if you have rooms 101 or 201 then you will be kept awake by the constant noise coming from the hotels "heating system". Manager and staff very helpful. Food excellent. Co-co club and staff excellent. If you need the chemist check the opening times, as they are irregular.
The ski area was excellent, and the snow was superb! The 'Reds' are mostly very wide and my 8 year old daughter (with only 2 weeks previous skiing) skied them with ease, as she did with the blacks at the end of the week. BTW - the black that leads down to STAFAL baffles me, as it certainly no more than a red! Some of the lifts are VERY slow, but as there are NO queues there isn't really an issue. The black down to Alagna is superb, and very long.
Ski school, very good though many parents (and I was one) disagree with giving medals to the kids who only finished in the first 3, at the end of week ski race - some very upset children!
On the hotels restaurant 'night off' I would recommend eating at the Wasserchild - excellent value - cheeses/hams, lasagne, a superb sirloin steak, and 1/2 litre of wine - all for 32 euros. Only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.
ski holidays
Hi @P3t3r.
Thanks for the report - sounds great and with more snow forecast I'm now very excited indeed! snowHead

I hope the heating system noise doesn't transmit through to room 203, but I think the kids will be so wiped out from their days in the snow that they won't care. Smile

It doesn't look like the most extensive ski area for experienced skiers, so the odd slow lift will not be a big problem (unless my wife freezes into a block of ice on the way up). I like the sound of the long black run to Alagna...

I don't expect our 6 yo to be top 3 in any race any time soon, so maybe we'll have to pre-warn him about lack of medal - thanks for the heads up.

Also, the advice on restaurant is gratefully received, as the "hotel night off" is always a concern with little kids.

We're going to get our lift passes on arrival, as the exchange rate is definitely working for us and against Esprit's price (looks like we'll save about £25 each at the moment by buying locally). Likewise for the kids' ski hire - Esprit seems very expensive. I've exchanged emails with "Extreme Sport", who say they are 200m from the hotel - did you happen to go in there?
ski holidays
@P3t3r, thanks as well. We have decided to book there next year though rooms 201/202 oops but they come up as cheapest rooms while ensuring we get separate sleeping areas and a bath between us.
snow conditions
@Rooknee, are you ordering your lift passes online or just getting them once in resort?
snow conditions
Yeah thanks for the warning about the medals @P3t3r, our six year old probably thinks he's a future Olympic champion despite skiing as slow as his old man Happy

@NickyJ I'm just planning on getting lift passes when we get there, going 28 March.
ski holidays
I couldn't work out how to buy online, it seemed to be for activating an existing pass, not for pre-booking a new one.

Happily, on the transfer coach, Esprit was selling lift passes at cost price in Euros, rather than the overpriced cost from the UK.

I also managed to pre-book ski kit for the kids from the other ski hire in Gressoney la Trinite - Esprit uses David Sports which is right next to the hotel. I emailed the shop and the owner, Sergio, got back to me and we agreed a good deal. Service was excellent in the shop and of course it wasn't overcrowded with the rest of the Esprit guests. Happy

We are now in resort. The hotel is excellent for what we expected (ie not 5 star, but comfortable). Staff seem very enthusiastic and helpful. The snow looks fab (excitement built on the transfer coach as snow started appearing on the houses some distance away - always a good sign!). First day on snow tomorrow.

I'll write a report when I'm back, but so far so good!
snow conditions
@Rooknee, great to hear! Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy